When will the media be held accountable for their impact on player mental health?

Remove this Banner Ad

99.999% of the time, it will flesh out like this and it’ll be forgotten in 1-2 weeks time.

But that 0.001% will eventually happen where we’ll have an AFL player neck themselves and some of the keyboard heros who are victim blaming in instances like this will take a good hard look at themselves.

What’s disappointing in today’s culture is the relentless onslaught and bullying people and media are allowed to do to individuals because of that person’s prior indiscretions instead of judging each instance on its own merit. One day it will blow up in their faces, and one day we’re going to be sitting here saying we shouldn’t have let it happen but it’ll be too late.

The new trend now is to accuse people of ‘pulling the mental health card’. What qualifications do we have or who the heck are we to judge if someone is actually doing that from our keyboards without knowing that individual?

bolded part = spot on.

red part - perhaps its a ploy by the media. analyse, expose and expand the story. Player necks him/herself. Media asks why this happened, it shouldnt happen = another story and clicks! win win for media.

Green - vexed situation. Should people/society refrain from commenting on degoey here? Fact of the matter is, we can't stop people from commenting.

In answer to your last question, you just need to look at the social media commentary of Australians everywhere that it isn’t what the public wants and over 90% or comments is people saying this is a non story and he should be allowed to have down time but they write stories regardless of reactions because any reaction, whether it’s positive or negative, is good publicity for them. That’s the disappointing thing. It’s just a ‘me time’ opportunity for the journos and media personalities more than it is about the story itself.
it is NOT what the public wants. but is good publicity as you said for them

Take collingwoods player degoey out of it. Replace with wayne carey circa 2002. Was that in the publics interest. Again, no. but the media tells us it is.

Mental health is an astronomically vast and complex issue with wildly varying degrees of severity. Our current system can't even begin to tackle the library-length definitions because we're still fumbling around at the most basic levels. Sports stars take full advantage of this fumbling from time to time.

bolded part = spot on.

red part - perhaps its a ploy by the media. analyse, expose and expand the story. Player necks him/herself. Media asks why this happened, it shouldnt happen = another story and clicks! win win for media.

Green - vexed situation. Should people/society refrain from commenting on degoey here? Fact of the matter is, we can't stop people from commenting.
You’re right - you can’t stop people from commenting. Censorship is wrong anytime it occurs. People/society need to be smarter in understanding if a story is really a story or not better.

If there’s a story on Richmond, as a Collingwood supporter, I used to get a sense of gratification if it was negative because of my personal hatred of Richmond, regardless of the content, and whether it was accurate or not. I’ve grown up and matured now, and my eyes have opened up more to the media’s games nowadays. For example, what happened with Bevo in the presser at the start of the year was beautiful for me to see. Need more of that.

Man goes overseas on his week off

Pulls a woman’s top (who he’s clearly with for the night) slightly to the side to expose some of her breast.

She enjoys it and later confirms there’s nothing to it.

And it’s still leading the news.

😂😂
I think the biggest issue is how s**t he is at dancing and and still pull a bird. Theres hope for us all

Mental health is an astronomically vast and complex issue with wildly varying degrees of severity. Our current system can't even begin to tackle the library-length definitions because we're still fumbling around at the most basic levels. Sports stars take full advantage of this fumbling from time to time.
As you said, it’s far too complex to understand and is unfair to assume sports stars take advantage of it from time to time.

You’re probably right, but it’s not safe for people to assume that.

I always get told I should count my blessings (which I do) because of where I was born, the income I have, the beautiful family I have etc. does that mean I can’t suffer mentally?

Same goes with those ‘higher’ than us in the grand scheme of things. Sure, they’re more spoilt than us, sure they may have it better in a lot of things, but we can’t just assume the mental health card is being played just because of some strange tall poppy that is going on deep down.

Going beast mode in the gym for 3 mths or whatever.. so you can look mint in a pair of fluro budgie's.. the latest Ray Ban's.. look the part holding an illusion shaker.. all that s**t should be outlawed if you're planning a trip to the Greek Islands? What.. does everyone just go for sightseeing and to eat ntomates and keftedes and that? Does one have to make 20 marriage proposals on every island when they're hopping it from Mykonos to Ios to Santorini?

Fair dinkum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep lets only write articles that praise players, that should help fix the issue

FFS any negative feedback is used as 'it can hurt my mental health'.

Kind of sums up a lot of people today. I want feedback, but only positive. I want the extra rewards/riches that come with my job but not the negative elements

And tbf Cornes has a point with someone who is known to be a knucklehead and make dumb decisions like De Goey. He has brought it on himself. Can't almost guarantee if it was Pendelbury who has a great track record it wouldn't be the story.

So I guess the motto is don't be a ******* and the media tend to not go as hard at you

The media is very selective about standards and are happy to turn a blind eye to issues when it suits them, and many journalists do not live by the standards they expect others to live by, we saw this when Caroline Wilson went soft on the Tom Morris story because his a family friend.

Last edited:
The media is very selective about standards and are happy to turn a blind eye to issues when it suits them, and many journalists do not live by the standards they expect others to live by, we saw this when Caroline Wilson went soft on the Tom Morris story because his a family friend.
Tom Morris did get sacked, degoey has shown this is a consistent behavioural problem, that leads to trouble, the penny hasn't dropped. He thinks he's entitled to get away with it and it's not his fault.

There's no problem I don't think where he went, he would have done the same wherever, but the facts are Bali is a party destination, hes got to look at he's friends getting their phones out, and he's decision making, you don't see dusty or buddy having these problems, you can still party but don't show the world.

By letting him go, he's shown he's not mature enough to be offered a 4 year 800 grand deal, also drops his trade value, he's now going to get a 2 year deal 5-650 a year, with probably heavy sanctions involved.

Why did he want to go to Bali, would be the question for 4 days? He needs to get better people around him to manage him. I do wonder if Collingwood let the media know where he was going, to drop his value in a contract

Tom Morris did get sacked, degoey has shown this is a consistent behavioural problem, that leads to trouble, the penny hasn't dropped. He thinks he's entitled to get away with it and it's not his fault.

There's no problem I don't think where he went, he would have done the same wherever, but the facts are Bali is a party destination, hes got to look at he's friends getting their phones out, and he's decision making, you don't see dusty or buddy having these problems, you can still party but don't show the world.

By letting him go, he's shown he's not mature enough to be offered a 4 year 800 grand deal, also drops his trade value, he's now going to get a 2 year deal 5-650 a year, with probably heavy sanctions involved.

Why did he want to go to Bali, would be the question for 4 days? He needs to get better people around him to manage him. I do wonder if Collingwood let the media know where he was going, to drop his value in a contract
If this were the case, it’s a stroke of genius by the footy club.

I’m not saying don’t write negative articles, go for it. I mean go the ball, not the man. What is so wrong about him going to Bali? Seriously?
What’s wrong with him going to Bali? Have you seen his track record? If anyone was nervous about him going they had their concerns brought home when he was in the paper. Again.

If he went there and kept his head down. No worries. Don’t go partying though. I think that’s pushing it a bit.

Last edited:
So it’s ok for the media to do it because people consume it?

Right….
Maybe if the human race didn't like sticking their noses in other peoples business then it wouldn't happen, but they want to know and journo's are paid to get the info they want.
Is it ok? maybe, maybe not, but is it ok for Hird to treat players as gunea pigs and expect to be left alone?

G-Train is in my top 5 favourite players ever but that’s weak as piss from him tbh. Mental health shouldn’t be use as a shield from criticism directed towards grown adults about their performance in their job.
No it’s not. You don’t think they’ll be getting critiqued by their employer for their performances? As someone already said, there’s too much space to fill and too many programs etc so these idiots have to make up this dross to earn their wage.

These idiots need a real job FFS.

Maybe if the human race didn't like sticking their noses in other peoples business then it wouldn't happen, but they want to know and journo's are paid to get the info they want.
Is it ok? maybe, maybe not, but is it ok for Hird to treat players as gunea pigs and expect to be left alone?
Again. Doesn’t make it right. Just because people want to have that doesn’t mean it’s always morally acceptable to dig it up. FWIW I don’t really think JDG going to Bali is an issue if he was just going to chill out there. Probably in his best interest not to be carrying on but I don’t think he did anything wrong in this instance.

Of course you do, you think the same with any view that disagrees with you on any topic.

I didn't say the media did NOTHING wrong, I said they were doing their jobs and they were doing their jobs legally.

Why don't we blame the lady down the street who may have said in the supermarket in hearing distance of James, "there goes that Essendon cheat"
Of course you do, you think the same with any view that disagrees with you on any topic.

I didn't say the media did NOTHING wrong, I said they were doing their jobs and they were doing their jobs legally.

Why don't we blame the lady down the street who may have said in the supermarket in hearing distance of James, "there goes that Essendon cheat"
Because that lady doesn’t have a voice in the media and can publish articles etc. There will always be people calling him a cheat.

Did you just actually make that comparison?

I know people consider it playing the card to avoid scrutiny, but a mental health problem seems to be the path of last resistance in terms of explaining player behaviour. It also seems an easy way churn out a professional player by support programs. The best way to get the some compliance and learning from a player is to tell them they're miserable and their behaviour makes them miserable. Surely this can be detrimental in its own way.
It’s like when Garry Lyon was clipping Billy’s mrs. He dropped off the radar and pulled the mental health ticket. You’ve made an obvious choice to pursue a relationship with your mates wife. It’s clearly a decision you want to make. Your own marriage has broken down etc. Just own it FFS. You’re not mentally unwell. You just feel like a campaigner for clipping your mates mrs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back