When will the media be held accountable for their impact on player mental health?

Remove this Banner Ad

PieLebo87

Hall of Famer
Veteran A Star Wars Fan 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur
Sep 14, 2005
Nathan Buckley spoke yesterday about JHF’s challenges and him not getting enough support in the industry.

Kane Cornes has come out today and blasted Jordan De Goey for going to Bali for his 4 day mid season break.

When do these journalists (using the term loosely) and radio/former player personalities get told to rein it in with some of the commentary they make about current players?

Imagine being told by your boss you aren’t allowed to go on a holiday during your own rec time during a break from work.

I’m not endorsing players going to Vegas during the mid season bye, or for players to make impromptu trips interstate mid week, but there has to be a line drawn around what isn’t acceptable from the media when it comes to what players can and can’t do.

I’m sure there’ll be posters here who’ll agree with Cornes, and that’s also disappointing, but we talk about men’s mental health, and then when there is an opportunity for someone to escape their 9-5, they’re shot down. Would the media be saying the same thing if an AFLW footballer was going to Bali during their break?

There needs to be more accountability around the things media personalities can say because they don’t help the situation when it comes to mental health of AFL footballers.

Yep lets only write articles that praise players, that should help fix the issue

FFS any negative feedback is used as 'it can hurt my mental health'.

Kind of sums up a lot of people today. I want feedback, but only positive. I want the extra rewards/riches that come with my job but not the negative elements

And tbf Cornes has a point with someone who is known to be a knucklehead and make dumb decisions like De Goey. He has brought it on himself. Can't almost guarantee if it was Pendelbury who has a great track record it wouldn't be the story.

So I guess the motto is don't be a ******* and the media tend to not go as hard at you

Yep lets only write articles that praise players, that should help fix the issue

FFS any negative feedback is used as 'it can hurt my mental health'.

Kind of sums up a lot of people today. I want feedback, but only positive. I want the extra rewards/riches that come with my job but not the negative elements

And tbf Cornes has a point with someone who is known to be a knucklehead and make dumb decisions like De Goey. He has brought it on himself. Can't almost guarantee if it was Pendelbury who has a great track record it wouldn't be the story.

So I guess the motto is don't be a ******* and the media tend to not go as hard at you
Problem is that the media is way too negative. Sure, not everything needs to be positive but at the current time it is way too skewed to negative articles.

Problem is that the media is way too negative. Sure, not everything needs to be positive but at the current time it is way too skewed to negative articles.
Kinda agree with some of the media personalities. Cornes is trying to be an Australian version of Stephen A Smith.

As over the top negative as some media can be the players and AFL want it too far the other way. I mean complaining about booing players at a game ffs (not talking about Goodes)

They have never gone harder at a man and his family, His daughter was getting door stopped at school ffs, she was 16.

So many don't have limits.
Ok, you blame the media, fair enough, but the media do that because the public lap it up and read what the media print.

So, did the public nearly kill James Hird?

The bit that infuriates me more than anything is the immediate outrage any time the media themselves are questioned.

All their media buddies circle the wagons every time one of them cops a serve in return.

‘How dare you criticise us?’ shrieks crowd of people whose jobs revolves almost exclusively around criticising others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nathan Buckley spoke yesterday about JHF’s challenges and him not getting enough support in the industry.

Kane Cornes has come out today and blasted Jordan De Goey for going to Bali for his 4 day mid season break.

When do these journalists (using the term loosely) and radio/former player personalities get told to rein it in with some of the commentary they make about current players?

Imagine being told by your boss you aren’t allowed to go on a holiday during your own rec time during a break from work.

I’m not endorsing players going to Vegas during the mid season bye, or for players to make impromptu trips interstate mid week, but there has to be a line drawn around what isn’t acceptable from the media when it comes to what players can and can’t do.

I’m sure there’ll be posters here who’ll agree with Cornes, and that’s also disappointing, but we talk about men’s mental health, and then when there is an opportunity for someone to escape their 9-5, they’re shot down. Would the media be saying the same thing if an AFLW footballer was going to Bali during their break?

There needs to be more accountability around the things media personalities can say because they don’t help the situation when it comes to mental health of AFL footballers.

When the players agree to take 50k a year as salary.

You do realise their large profiles are what enables AFL players to be paid so handsomely?

Australians are suffering with cost of living and you are saying De Goey jetting off to Bali is being used against his mental health?

wont-somebody-please-think-of-the-children-think-of-the-children.gif

reminds me of this....

I’m not saying don’t write negative articles, go for it. I mean go the ball, not the man. What is so wrong about him going to Bali? Seriously?
Seriously? I wouldn’t want any of my players going overseas during a four-day break right now with COVID still causing potential headaches. Let alone a player who’s known to get into issues and strife around partying going to Bali. I don’t think anyone is up in arms about it, but it’s just a stupid decision and reflects his character, he’s stupid.

there are way too many football journalists. too many shows, too much bullshit to fill time and justify someone's position.
Agree.

And too few of them can analyse the game, so they have grown the tabloid side of Footy media to justify their salary.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The bit that infuriates me more than anything is the immediate outrage any time the media themselves are questioned.

All their media buddies circle the wagons every time one of them cops a serve in return.

‘How dare you criticise us?’ shrieks crowd of people whose jobs revolves almost exclusively around criticising others.
No wonder Buckley lasted so long, had all his media buddies protecting him his whole coaching career.

Fraser Gehrig has your back:

“Triple M, to be honest, in their heyday, and I’m not trying to be rude saying this, when you did your 3-2-1 worst players on ground it had an effect on things like depression. And a lot of the guys who were doing those calls have had depression in their lives – and I don’t think it helped."

“Brayshaw, Lyon and these sorts of blokes, at the time I thought ‘go get stuffed’. You know, they’ve had a few beers and they want to come up and try to be heroes and I told them (where to go). So I’ll stand by that."

“I couldn’t care less, to be honest. Again, I don’t want to be rude and turn something into something that it’s not but we’ve seen with depression over the years get bigger and bigger – and we’ve all had it. Probably everyone in this room has had it and those sorts of things (the worst player votes) don’t help. I haven’t listened to Triple M for a long time but I hope you don’t do it (anymore).”

I don’t believe in criticising anyone unnecessarily but:

When a musician puts out an album or an actor releases a new movie, we go as hard as we can at them. Mel Gibson made a movie that resulted in Scotland being everyone’s second favourite country and actually fostered a lot of interest around the world in what is a fascinating county and historical story.
All anyone could say in the time that followed was ‘how s**t is his accent’ and I’d imagine few if any people felt bad about it because: ‘he got paid a fortune to do it so that’s the rod you make for your own back.’

Every album Ed Sheeran releases is pizzled relentlessly by any critic or social media commentator who doesn’t like wuss-pop.
Why? Because he’s rich as s**t and put himself out there in the public eye so that’s what happens.

It shouldn’t give people the right to be downright nasty but at any level
Of life, critique is what happens whether you are an amateur footballer or a financial adviser or a lawyer or whatever.

Saying that someone who did a bad job did a bad job is not nasty. It’s observational. Saying that someone making a dumb decision has made a dumb decision is observational.

Media shouldn’t gossip and make judgement calls on someone’s character or personality or whatever but I don’t see an issue with De Goey being criticised: it’s not a smart move

My question is, do we have the same attitude when it comes to other public figures like coaches, celebrities, politicians, social media influencers, journalists and other media personnel? Are we going to ignore that choosing certain career pathways make you (rightly or wrongly) available for public scrutiny?

This may be unpopular, but in some cases, people are individually accountable for their mental state. I understand impact on mental health when it comes toxic club environments, but if Kane Cornes blasting De Goey for going to Bali impacts his mental health, then he needs to assess how he handles external scrutiny. That's an opportunity for the club to provide him support in handling external pressure. JHF acting the way he did last week will obviously put him in the public eye because it is unusual for even an established veteran to act the way he does, let alone a first year player. If public scrutiny mentally impacts him, well then he needs to reassess how he wants to present himself on-field. The club can support him in that.

The media are going to continue because they are all about exposure, revenue and engagement. If players are impacted by what the media say, then the players need to be trained to ignore the media and trolls like other public figures such as celebrities and politicians. Maybe football players are inadequately trained to handle public scrutiny and that's a legitimate focus, but holding the media accountable is too broad. Individual journalists and commentators can be held accountable and I believe the general public do to a certain extent. The players ultimately choose to be public figures and know that public scrutiny is a part of it.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back