When will the media be held accountable for their impact on player mental health?

Remove this Banner Ad

Pistol Night

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 3, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
It’s like when Garry Lyon was clipping Billy’s mrs. He dropped off the radar and pulled the mental health ticket. You’ve made an obvious choice to pursue a relationship with your mates wife. It’s clearly a decision you want to make. Your own marriage has broken down etc. Just own it FFS. You’re not mentally unwell. You just feel like a campaigner for clipping your mates mrs.
Impossible for someone to say someone else is not mentally well or not

Outtatym

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It’s like when Garry Lyon was clipping Billy’s mrs. He dropped off the radar and pulled the mental health ticket. You’ve made an obvious choice to pursue a relationship with your mates wife. It’s clearly a decision you want to make. Your own marriage has broken down etc. Just own it FFS. You’re not mentally unwell. You just feel like a campaigner for clipping your mates mrs.
*Ex

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

I agree with most of what you’ve said on this topic but you can’t make that judgement.

I’ve been in a similar situation to Garry - I didn’t do what I did because of mental illness, but the spiral that followed as I well and truly owned what i did - to the point where I posted a lengthy and relatively detailed account of my sins for 750 Facebook friends to see - nearly cost me my life and three years later I am STILL only just hauling myself back into society as a functional human being.

Mental illness doesn’t cause people to have affairs or take drugs or sexually assault people or anything like that. But the fallout from doing those things - and many people would understandably say that it’s karma for doing them - is very real indeed

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Nathan Buckley spoke yesterday about JHF’s challenges and him not getting enough support in the industry.

Kane Cornes has come out today and blasted Jordan De Goey for going to Bali for his 4 day mid season break.

When do these journalists (using the term loosely) and radio/former player personalities get told to rein it in with some of the commentary they make about current players?

Imagine being told by your boss you aren’t allowed to go on a holiday during your own rec time during a break from work.

I’m not endorsing players going to Vegas during the mid season bye, or for players to make impromptu trips interstate mid week, but there has to be a line drawn around what isn’t acceptable from the media when it comes to what players can and can’t do.

I’m sure there’ll be posters here who’ll agree with Cornes, and that’s also disappointing, but we talk about men’s mental health, and then when there is an opportunity for someone to escape their 9-5, they’re shot down. Would the media be saying the same thing if an AFLW footballer was going to Bali during their break?

There needs to be more accountability around the things media personalities can say because they don’t help the situation when it comes to mental health of AFL footballers.

The media are run by the AFL head quarters. Everything they report and say is how the AFL want it.
There is zero independent media that cover the AFL.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
i mean, not filming yourself on video doing dumb s**t after previously being in strife for doing dumb s**t would be a smart way to not cop articles and attention. just lie out on the beach, have a couple of cold ones, get the photos with the local footy team. is it really so hard to not be a dickhead?

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
i mean, not filming yourself on video doing dumb s**t after previously being in strife for doing dumb s**t would be a smart way to not cop articles and attention. just lie out on the beach, have a couple of cold ones, get the photos with the local footy team. is it really so hard to not be a dickhead?

Nah m8 you've gotta get off chops and grope random girls and punch on with everyone

Astro_

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 14, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’m not saying don’t write negative articles, go for it. I mean go the ball, not the man. What is so wrong about him going to Bali? Seriously?

Let’s see what Collingwood have to say about it tomorrow. Yes they gave permission but I doubt it will be all rainbows and lollipops coming from the club this week

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
The Jordan de Goey Bali story is just another example of how AFL football is over-analysed by an rabid football media, always searching relentlessly for the next great narrative to devour, with minor incidents magnified into front page stories coupled with overblown analysis of why teams win or lose and / or the almost annual 'club in crisis' trope.

Social media adds further to the hyperbole and over-reaction.

Amusing to read on occcasions but most of it not really to be taken seriously. As in this case.
I’d go as far to say that these ‘journalists’ aren’t really that. The information they obtain and what they choose to publish is just so trivial that it belongs in gossip columns at best. Like you said, the constant analysis of how a team wins or loses is rubbish and fabricated for the most part. You could give a footy nuffy half an hour prep and they could do the job of any of these ‘experts’.

What’s even more comical is how serious they are, how much they get paid, and the clowns that consume it. You just know the type; ‘couple of beers on a mob-dee ta thurs-dee, watch 360 ‘the boys’ haha, get up with the news’.

It’s absolute junk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Newscorp Sports and Political journalists are exactly the same. If they are not looking for the next ‘gotcha moment’, then they are posting their opinions serenading as facts, even quoting each other to strengthen their story.

I know for a fact they snoop through Bigfooty and other social media, one of my comments was in a story once, but at least that journalist acknowledged where it came from. They feast on any personal issue for players, and beat thing up.

I mean seriously, what makes them a moral authority on the players when their own behaviour is so unethical.

janty

All Australian
Jan 5, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Clubs should start going after journalists who harass their players

bevo-1200x800.jpg

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
If anything we should be applauding him. He was absolutely batting out of his league.
Not really. She’s hot looking and young, which is generally wildly attractive to men, and he’s a rich, famous, bold, super-confident, strong and muscular ‘bad boy’, which is a wildly attractive mix to a tonne of women.

Both their ‘SMV’s’ are way way up high.

Last edited:
May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
The Newscorp Sports and Political journalists are exactly the same. If they are not looking for the next ‘gotcha moment’, then they are posting their opinions serenading as facts, even quoting each other to strengthen their story.

I know for a fact they snoop through Bigfooty and other social media, one of my comments was in a story once, but at least that journalist acknowledged where it came from. They feast on any personal issue for players, and beat thing up.

I mean seriously, what makes them a moral authority on the players when their own behaviour is so unethical.

this is the thing that shits me to tears.. Jon Ralph for one getshis s**t head on tv at half time of a game and goes "player x will get y amount of weeks due to a, b, c" when the game has not even finished.

As soon as the game is done, gets his s**t head on the tv again and micro analyses every crap moment (see JHF to Todd Goldstein moment from last week as perfect example).

This country has been taught to focus on the negatives that derives from sport and society than the victories. Look at Essendon's win on Friday night. Was hardly anything about how well they played, instead, Kane Cornes "where has this beeb from Essendon?", Fox Footy "why haven't we seen this since round 3?". It's pathetic. Geez Essendon was good could have been the head line.

Really really grinds my gears if you can't tell. Worst of all, no watch dog to hold this scum accountable.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The media is very selective about standards and are happy to turn a blind eye to issues when it suits them, and many journalists do not live by the standards they expect others to live by, we saw this when Caroline Wilson went soft on the Tom Morris story because his a family friend.

She spoke out against what he said and he was sacked.

Was de Goey sacked after doing far worse?

How about Hird ?

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
this is the thing that shits me to tears.. Jon Ralph for one getshis s**t head on tv at half time of a game and goes "player x will get y amount of weeks due to a, b, c" when the game has not even finished.

As soon as the game is done, gets his s**t head on the tv again and micro analyses every crap moment (see JHF to Todd Goldstein moment from last week as perfect example).

This country has been taught to focus on the negatives that derives from sport and society than the victories. Look at Essendon's win on Friday night. Was hardly anything about how well they played, instead, Kane Cornes "where has this beeb from Essendon?", Fox Footy "why haven't we seen this since round 3?". It's pathetic. Geez Essendon was good could have been the head line.

Really really grinds my gears if you can't tell. Worst of all, no watch dog to hold this scum accountable.
These morons have to unfortunately justify their salary. And the cruel reality of life is that, as you say, people want to talk about the negatives because it probably makes them feel more knowledgeable, it makes them look superior and more experienced, and it puts them in a position of superiority.

I was once told that if you do 9/10 things really well that people will focus on the 1 thing you do wrong. The longer I’ve lived, the more I concur with this. It’s perpetuated by social media, click baiting, and as I said, people like ex players justifying their inflated six figure salaries.

I’m not saying don’t write negative articles, go for it. I mean go the ball, not the man. What is so wrong about him going to Bali? Seriously?
Did JDG think he could remain anonymous in Bali?

How many AFL footballers headed to Bali during the mid season break? More importantly, how many AFL footballers with “track record” headed to Bali?

You’re probably right, but you’re judging the action in this instance and not the reaction of the media. Do you believe their reaction is warranted? Is there really a story? Isn’t he allowed to have a few drinks with his mates on his time off?
I think it is trying to pull the womans top down in the club after previous accusations have been made against him is the issue

Herald Sun are absolute hypocrites.
You only had to read from page 6 to 7 yesterday where the label Degoey as sexist and misogynistic, and then the next page refers to the two females as “busty babes”.
Give us a ******* spell!
I even brought it up to SEN but they ignored it.

Attachments

• A5E97D34-B559-4AF1-9D60-3EC913442936.jpeg
    A5E97D34-B559-4AF1-9D60-3EC913442936.jpeg
    701.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 66E68E3F-6540-41CD-B349-B191CF3A41BE.jpeg
    66E68E3F-6540-41CD-B349-B191CF3A41BE.jpeg
    980.2 KB · Views: 34

Remove this Banner Ad

Back