When will the media be held accountable for their impact on player mental health?

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Did JDG think he could remain anonymous in Bali?

How many AFL footballers headed to Bali during the mid season break? More importantly, how many AFL footballers with “track record” headed to Bali?
Would JDG be more anonymous in Bali or back home? How is that relevant?

Re your second question, who knows. We actually don’t know if other players went elsewhere because the media didn’t cover it. I know Pendlebury went away though.

I’ve grabbed my mates balls before, I definitely wouldn’t be doing that to a stranger though.
The girl he was with has come out and said she doesn't have an issue with it either

It's just after his last overseas trip, surely he would realize any footage of him doing anything remotely like this is ******* stupid and puts him back in harms way

The drinking and partying is no issue to me at all

Re your second question, who knows. We actually don’t know if other players went elsewhere because the media didn’t cover it. I know Pendlebury went away though.
And why do you think it is that the spotlight was on JDG and not Pendelbury?

I blame the club for this fiasco, and I wonder if it was a a deliberate ploy by the club to reduce his value. His contract is up for renewal end of season. The club now has ammunition to say, "Jordan, you're not worth as much as you think because you continue to behave like a dickhead"

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Imagine having the media camped out waiting for you to come into the club on a Monday morning.

Also, imagine this being a ‘top story’ lol

3D497771-F874-47D4-A275-111B204ABDFF.jpeg

Pistol Night

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 3, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Should call a press conference and when the media all rock up reschedule it until tomorrow. Repeat the process tomorrow. Give the dickheads some inconvenience back.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Just making s**t up are you?

I said Hird was working with a large section of the media whose goal was to protect him and spread lies. But you continue with your lies anyway.

Strange you neglect the whole media camping on his front lawn and following his children around part as crossing a line.

So no onus on the media to be accountable for their impacts?

The bit that infuriates me more than anything is the immediate outrage any time the media themselves are questioned.

All their media buddies circle the wagons every time one of them cops a serve in return.

‘How dare you criticise us?’ shrieks crowd of people whose jobs revolves almost exclusively around criticising others.
Yep.

Comment ad infinitum on the game(s), but how about these brave journos get out of players personal lives?

No-one's perfect.

That includes every self righteous, muck raking media flog out there.

Because he has form, serious form, from getting carried away while partying hard. If he had an ounce less talent, Collingwood would have sacked him last off-season. Collingwood took a credibility hit by keeping him on the list, so how does he repay his team? By heading to the biggest partying mecca going and the inevitable bad press. It is is just another slap in Collingwood's face. Obviously JDG doesn't give a s**t about Collingwood, as long as they keep paying him to party hard.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Because he has form, serious form, from getting carried away while partying hard. If he had an ounce less talent, Collingwood would have sacked him last off-season. Collingwood took a credibility hit by keeping him on the list, so how does he repay his team? By heading to the biggest partying mecca going and the inevitable bad press. It is is just another slap in Collingwood's face. Obviously JDG doesn't give a s**t about Collingwood, as long as they keep paying him to party hard.
If it means we re-sign him for less $$$ and he can contribute to on-field success (without getting in any further serious trouble) I am not complaining.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
My reaction to Collingwood withdrawing De Goey's new contract offer

200.gif

He has made some really dumb, selfish, toxic and foolish choices in the past, without much recriminations for it, hopefully now the penny has finally dropped

He brought this all upon himself. Zero sympathy.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
I am sure another ‘big’ club will offer him a contract. So be careful, it might be your club.

Absolutely not. With the Carlton respects program, we finally fixed our culture by kicking out notorious booze hounds like Fev and Mitch Robinson (although credit to Robbo, he has matured and cleaned up his act at The Lions)

I can assure you, under no circumstances, are Carlton considering recruiting another ticking time bomb like De Goey.

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
I am sure another ‘big’ club will offer him a contract. So be careful, it might be your club.

I'd be happy for the Lions to recruit him. He might welcome the chance to get out of the AFL fishbowl in Melbourne.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne

I am not sure it can be deemed disrespectful to women if the woman involved is on record saying she didn’t care?

I am in two minds here; I think JDG should just be taking it easy and lying low, and then I think he should be able to carry on a bit if he isn’t doing anything wrong and performs for his employer. Maybe he just doesn’t give a toss. My feel is he won’t be at Collingwood next year and might be at Brisbane or Sydney. WTF knows.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
I’d be happy if Melbourne signed him for bugger all for two years then offered him a bigger deal for the next 4. He is 26 though. So he really needs to be landing a big contract like Christian Petracca did (same age) and capitalising on the earnings. If he got his act together and did two years on say, 400k, then he is 29 when he gets say, 800k for 3 years and that takes him to 31. Career on the wane.

Reckon he has blown his opportunity for pay dirt.

Back