When will the media be held accountable for their impact on player mental health?

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d be happy if Melbourne signed him for bugger all for two years then offered him a bigger deal for the next 4. He is 26 though. So he really needs to be landing a big contract like Christian Petracca did (same age) and capitalising on the earnings. If he got his act together and did two years on say, 400k, then he is 29 when he gets say, 800k for 3 years and that takes him to 31. Career on the wane.

Reckon he has blown his opportunity for pay dirt.
I don't think he'd accept $400k

Social media when abused is a vile and dangerous form of social engagement.
Whilst I don't agree with how intrusive that the media is, at least in most circumstances the journalist gives their name to their very opinion.
For mine forums like this and mediums like twitter are far more dangerous to a players mental health. There's been plenty of disclosures from players in regards to their interactions with fans, vile abuse, threats of violence, encouragement to kill oneself because the player missed a crucial goal or didn't cover a 'betting line'. Keyboard warriors who hide behind a pseudonym who post things that they would never dream to say to a players face are just as likely to impact a players mental health.

"... uneducated, bias..."

Awesome Seksenler GIF by TRT

I have not read the whole thread

But clubs use mental health to protect themselves from scandal as much if not more than the player/s involved

Classic example in Perth was Freo's Jesse Hogan rolling his car in a suburban street one morning..within half an hour Peter Bell was telling the Perth media that no drugs or alcohol were involved and the media had to respect his privacy because Mental Health

amazing in that time frame Belly was able to get a drug analysis and mental health evaluation
Judge yourself whether he lied through his teeth

It worked though..a combination of mental health card and freo being 'small fry'

If that was West Coast we would still be hearing about it

Imagine JDG on the Gold Coast - he’d be completely anonymous among the rest of the tattooed party boys up there.

Perfect fit to help snuff out the glimmer of hope on the horizon for the Suns.

Suns have been down that path before with Harley Bennell and Karmichael Hunt.

They do not need another high maintenance trouble maker with substance abuse issues (in this instance alcohol) with De Goey.

I wish I was partying with him. Seems to have some fun.
And I'm happy to take the offcuts.

More than ever, players and clubs are brands. there are $$$ associated with the success of the brand and PR disasters like de goeys have a material effect on player and club.

I've believed for many years that journos would rather write something negative than something positive. You cannot deny that they definitely write more negative than positive stories.

I'm sure they could use their investigation and sources to find some good news to report but would rather report the negative.

There's almost no accountability, they can write/say anything and have absolutely no repercussions unless taken to court for defamation and then you've actually gotta win the case.

I’d be happy if Melbourne signed him for bugger all for two years then offered him a bigger deal for the next 4. He is 26 though. So he really needs to be landing a big contract like Christian Petracca did (same age) and capitalising on the earnings. If he got his act together and did two years on say, 400k, then he is 29 when he gets say, 800k for 3 years and that takes him to 31. Career on the wane.

Reckon he has blown his opportunity for pay dirt.
I doubt that will happen. A club will still offer him at least $800k pa over 4 years even if they include a number of conditions in his contract.
If the Pies had $800k pa for 2 yrs with another 2 yr option on the table and he didn't grab it, well I doubt he would take half that, even with what just happened.

As a Pies supporter, I'd jump to get him at $650k pa, but still, he will be offered much more on a longer term. That's reality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt that will happen. A club will still offer him at least $800k pa over 4 years even if they include a number of conditions in his contract.
If the Pies had $800k pa for 2 yrs with another 2 yr option on the table and he didn't grab it, well I doubt he would take half that, even with what just happened.

As a Pies supporter, I'd jump to get him at $650k pa, but still, he will be offered much more on a longer term. That's reality.
Yes agree. I guess I am looking at a scenario that I think is what I would do, but 800k is probably more to the point. I guess it isn’t a lot these days. I doubt he will be at Collingwood next year.

You’d have to have some serious conditions on him. Bloke could win you a flag if he stays straight.

Yes agree. I guess I am looking at a scenario that I think is what I would do, but 800k is probably more to the point. I guess it isn’t a lot these days. I doubt he will be at Collingwood next year.

You’d have to have some serious conditions on him. Bloke could win you a flag if he stays straight.
Again I’d prefer he stays because the guy is a match winner and an swing games. These guys are hard to find.

If we do lose him, I suppose it’s not disastrous as we’re likely to receive another pick around the top 10.

this is the thing that shits me to tears.. Jon Ralph for one getshis s**t head on tv at half time of a game and goes "player x will get y amount of weeks due to a, b, c" when the game has not even finished.

As soon as the game is done, gets his s**t head on the tv again and micro analyses every crap moment (see JHF to Todd Goldstein moment from last week as perfect example).

This country has been taught to focus on the negatives that derives from sport and society than the victories. Look at Essendon's win on Friday night. Was hardly anything about how well they played, instead, Kane Cornes "where has this beeb from Essendon?", Fox Footy "why haven't we seen this since round 3?". It's pathetic. Geez Essendon was good could have been the head line.

Really really grinds my gears if you can't tell. Worst of all, no watch dog to hold this scum accountable.
Easier to write. Don't need to do research, just attack. Rely on the poor in depth knowledge from casual readers and the tribal nature of the sport; Carlton, Collingwood, Richmond, Hawthorn fans are going to like reading/watching media about Essendon doing poorly and are unlikely to have the depth of knowledge to know when/where the journalist is stretching, exaggerating or just outright wrong.

Blame the overall demise of media in this country overall though. Less money in it, less quality, a need to compete with social media leading to 'whatever works' mindset in editorial positions.

Feel like we've seen a perfect example this week:

Jordan De Goey: Absolute flog of a bloke, who cried foul and bias when caught acting a knob again. Media follows him because of multiple harassment scandals, drink driving, driving without a licence etc. Media just doing their job, and hounding absolutely justified. In this case it is JDG who has a victim complex.

Ginnivan and Quaynor: Two kids doing an (albeit cringe) TikTok trend that thousands around the world are doing. Media could have probably left well enough alone, but chose not to.

Jordan De Goey: Absolute flog of a bloke, who cried foul and bias when caught acting a knob again. Media follows him because of multiple harassment scandals, drink driving, driving without a licence etc. Media just doing their job, and hounding absolutely justified. In this case it is JDG who has a victim complex.

Ginnivan and Quaynor: Two kids doing an (albeit cringe) TikTok trend that thousands around the world are doing. Media could have probably left well enough alone, but chose not to.
Ginnivan and Quaynor were doing something the majority of young immature young men do.

Fair bump. Play on.

Ginnivan and Quaynor strayed into dangerous territory though. The corporate environment, in particular the media, is now highly feminised (at least through tokenism) so everything will be viewed through a lens of disrespect or objectification. I pointed this out in the other thread and was banned for blaming women :$

Women would be doing exactly the same thing re men. But the issue is that this sort of behaviour committed by men is always going to look worse because it could snowball into a situation whereby it is disrespectful to women and perpetuates that culture of men objectifying and disrespecting women etc. Given that the majority of sexist behaviour is about women being the subject of harassment, it always is perceived much worse when committed by men.

However, there is nothing to suggest Ginnivan and Quaynor are sexist and are objectifying women. They are simply participating in a not too smart game using social media, surprise surprise. So whilst it doesn’t look good due to the current climate, it’s really not that bad. In fact given Ginnivan isn’t overly easy on the optic nerve, it’s quite humorous.

A lot of the same from some of these media people. They won’t be content until they bury someone. Weak as piss the way they’ve carried on.

338033C2-E108-42F1-AF1C-657DF311DEDD.jpeg

A lot of the same from some of these media people. They won’t be content until they bury someone. Weak as piss the way they’ve carried on.

View attachment 1429362

You're really straw-manning this tweet.

The tweet is accurate in the sense that this is an empty punishment from Collingwood that makes their words look hollow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back