When will the media be held accountable for their impact on player mental health?

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
This irks me
As someone who has had issues it shits me when players whinge and use mental health card.
I sacrificed career my love for the drink at the betterment of my health it was on me I couldn’t handle the pressure so I got the * out.
These guys look like their sitting in an oven complaining about the heat.
I admire Tom Boyd immensely like other he sacrificed everything for his health.
Others expect everyone around them to change and bow to their whims when life has never been about that.
You make the decisions you do the work you get the outcome!
22 is a weird place

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
You're really straw-manning this tweet.

The tweet is accurate in the sense that this is an empty punishment from Collingwood that makes their words look hollow.
Not really. Listening to Dwayne Russell on SEN, seeing the way Jon Ralph has been tweeting, you can tell the media just wants blood and no matter what punishment/lack of punishment Collingwood gives, it won’t be enough for them.

It has been evident from the start with the way they’ve carried on, even on the news networks.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
This irks me
As someone who has had issues it shits me when players whinge and use mental health card.
I sacrificed career my love for the drink at the betterment of my health it was on me I couldn’t handle the pressure so I got the * out.
These guys look like their sitting in an oven complaining about the heat.
I admire Tom Boyd immensely like other he sacrificed everything for his health.
Others expect everyone around them to change and bow to their whims when life has never been about that.
You make the decisions you do the work you get the outcome!
22 is a weird place
This irks me… so only you’re allowed to have mental health challenges? And those you believe are in a higher social standing aren’t?

Sounds more like tall poppy.

The guy is an absolute f-wit, I’m not disputing that, but the way people are carrying on is ridiculous.

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
This irks me… so only you’re allowed to have mental health challenges? And those you believe are in a higher social standing aren’t?

The guy is an absolute f-wit, I’m not disputing that, but the way people are carrying on is ridiculous.
Nothing to do with tall poppy.
It’s like born males wanting to swim in womens races.
It’s cool you want to be a girl and live a life but you can’t swim in women races with a pair of swingers.
Do dwarfs picket the nba for there exclusion??
Yes you can have mental health problems but don’t use it as a cop out.
I had a messed up first part of my life but once diagnosed there was no excuse because I knew my condition and what was best for it.
I was diagnosed with adhd amongst others and being in the public spot light is not good your brain runs so hard that you need to drink or take drugs to escape the activity in your head.
After the diagnosis I made changes and have not been drunk/out of control since.
I apologise for a self indulgent post and it has nothing to do with tall poppy as I credited another afl footballer who earn more money and headlines in his short time.

Sep 19, 2007
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Anaheim Ducks, PSV Eindhoven
Fraser Gehrig has your back:

“Triple M, to be honest, in their heyday, and I’m not trying to be rude saying this, when you did your 3-2-1 worst players on ground it had an effect on things like depression. And a lot of the guys who were doing those calls have had depression in their lives – and I don’t think it helped."

“Brayshaw, Lyon and these sorts of blokes, at the time I thought ‘go get stuffed’. You know, they’ve had a few beers and they want to come up and try to be heroes and I told them (where to go). So I’ll stand by that."

“I couldn’t care less, to be honest. Again, I don’t want to be rude and turn something into something that it’s not but we’ve seen with depression over the years get bigger and bigger – and we’ve all had it. Probably everyone in this room has had it and those sorts of things (the worst player votes) don’t help. I haven’t listened to Triple M for a long time but I hope you don’t do it (anymore).”

Brayshaw and Lyon have always been tossers who can dish it out but can't take it and their constant bullying of Billy Brownless to the point that he now just accepts the nickname "Fat" is appalling. If you ever catch snippets of their drive time show most of it appears to be just Brayshaw belittling Billy.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Nothing to do with tall poppy.
It’s like born males wanting to swim in womens races.
It’s cool you want to be a girl and live a life but you can’t swim in women races with a pair of swingers.
Do dwarfs picket the nba for there exclusion??
Yes you can have mental health problems but don’t use it as a cop out.
I had a messed up first part of my life but once diagnosed there was no excuse because I knew my condition and what was best for it.
I was diagnosed with adhd amongst others and being in the public spot light is not good your brain runs so hard that you need to drink or take drugs to escape the activity in your head.
After the diagnosis I made changes and have not been drunk/out of control since.
I apologise for a self indulgent post and it has nothing to do with tall poppy as I credited another afl footballer who earn more money and headlines in his short time.
You have to understand, and I’m sure you do, there is no set blueprint for any two people. Each person has their own path. Some learn from their first mistake, some from their second, and so forth.

As you said, being in the public spot light is different. Imagine being in that state of mind and you’ve got leeches feeding off you in one way or another, feeding off your spotlight or money or whatever it may be. He needs to learn and grow. That’s really all I was trying to say in my original response to you.

Jun 16, 2012
Ora Banda pub
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
EDL
He doesn’t need a pat on the back for this, and I’m sure it was probably set up by the CFC, but did any of the news outlets report this the week of the Melbourne game?

They will all ignore it and continue calling him a s**t campaigner. They want blood

Feel like we've seen a perfect example this week:

Jordan De Goey: Absolute flog of a bloke, who cried foul and bias when caught acting a knob again. Media follows him because of multiple harassment scandals, drink driving, driving without a licence etc. Media just doing their job, and hounding absolutely justified. In this case it is JDG who has a victim complex.

Ginnivan and Quaynor: Two kids doing an (albeit cringe) TikTok trend that thousands around the world are doing. Media could have probably left well enough alone, but chose not to.
One of these situations is the behaviour that inspired this thread one isn't.

FreoFan85

Team Captain
Jun 29, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
The media are right in calling out Collingwood's non decision.

The Fox Media network essentially cancelled Tom Morris for something (not the same but still similar in its disrespect for women)... so I feel if they are going to fall on their own sword when things go wrong, then they are allowed to call people/clubs out that they report on that don't act in a near similar fashion.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying that De Goey should be fired, but to literally receive no sanction...

thecotch

Premiership Player
Aug 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Nathan Buckley spoke yesterday about JHF’s challenges and him not getting enough support in the industry.

Kane Cornes has come out today and blasted Jordan De Goey for going to Bali for his 4 day mid season break.

When do these journalists (using the term loosely) and radio/former player personalities get told to rein it in with some of the commentary they make about current players?

Imagine being told by your boss you aren’t allowed to go on a holiday during your own rec time during a break from work.

I’m not endorsing players going to Vegas during the mid season bye, or for players to make impromptu trips interstate mid week, but there has to be a line drawn around what isn’t acceptable from the media when it comes to what players can and can’t do.

I’m sure there’ll be posters here who’ll agree with Cornes, and that’s also disappointing, but we talk about men’s mental health, and then when there is an opportunity for someone to escape their 9-5, they’re shot down. Would the media be saying the same thing if an AFLW footballer was going to Bali during their break?

There needs to be more accountability around the things media personalities can say because they don’t help the situation when it comes to mental health of AFL footballers.
You lost us after your heading.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood

The Fox Media network essentially cancelled Tom Morris for something (not the same but still similar in its disrespect for women)... so I feel if they are going to fall on their own sword when things go wrong, then they are allowed to call people/clubs out that they report on that don't act in a near similar fashion.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying that De Goey should be fired, but to literally receive no sanction...
The difference between what Tom Morris did/said and JDG in this instance are so far apart it’s not even funny. Don’t get how you could make that comparison.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Tom Morris has never been publicly accused of at least 3 occasions of sexually assaulting and or groping a woman like De Goey has.

It's impossible for any credible Collingwood fan to defend the grub at this point,.

He is gone. Can tell you right now I am absolutely certain he won't be at Collingwood next season, and he Brought this all on himself.
No-one, myself included, is defending him or calling him a misunderstood angel - not sure where/why you’ve gotten that impression to be posting that.

You’re obviously not judging this situation on its own merits either because of your preconceived ideas of who JDG is though which clearly clouds your judgement on whether he’s actually done anything morally wrong by someone in this instance.

Also, whether the female has come out and said it’s been blown out of proportion? Did the female Tom Morris talk about laugh what he said off?

Last edited:

Sea fog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 24, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

Not strictly too, his impending contract renewal was cancelled. You could also argue that he's more than endured a week of adverse publicity from the media. Given his history of misdemeanours, a suspended fine is a risk for him.

SunnerSS

GCSUNSCAST HOST
Sep 3, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
wow a lot to dissect with this thread topic.
1st. If your going to blame others for how you feel. that is an issue with you. sure others can impact events that hurt your feelings but how you deal with your emotions and feelings is ultimately up to the individual and they need to address why they feel so impacted by others. coping mechanisms to shut out the influencers or avoid putting yourself into positions that are unhealthily affecting your health. Mental health is a serious issue but don't confuse mental health with mental immaturity, the result of someone that does not know how to express themselves and manage their feelings productively.

2nd. AFL players are aware they are public figureheads as part of their job they chose this profession knowing the media spotlight would be on them, that also includes being role models and representing your place of employment. for most of us as long as we are not wearing corporate branding on our clothes when we act like fools we can avoid too much scrutiny but with the public image and expectation on players they're likeness and image is a representation of the employer, it is also what makes them so valuable in the industry.

3rd. The media have a job to tell the news, the facts and in this day and age opinions. It is no longer the domain of journalists but for anyone who have a strong opinion and any ounce of insider knowledge. we have created this culture with clickbaits and viewership because its a natural reaction to look at something bright, shiny and loud. the same reason these very posts on BigFooty have a higher view count then a good news story like a player resigning or a charity foundation support.

4th. The instance in question is about De Goey's recent transgressions more then anything. If this was anyone else it would be 75% less scrutiny. A pattern of disrespect towards women has developed which certainly does not help collingwood after the do better report and now the Ginnavan/Quaynor debacle shows. You could argue even without the media the public image of Collingwood has been tarnished further with this latest transgression to the point the Board of collingwood or any public organisation would be in damage control as these events would be counter to the corporate social responsibility of the organisation.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
According to most of the biased Collingwood supporters here and else Mental Health issues and concerns only apply to Jordan De Goey after being publicly filmed acting drunk and a sleaze bag who thinks he has the right to grope/touch women in any manner he thinks is fine (even without concent.

But when it comes to Herititer Lumumba and his documented and factually proven instances of being racially abused and builled by several Collingwood players which Buckley and Eddie and the CEO at the time inappropriated dismissed which to Lumumba's exit from the game and probably shortening of his career due to MH issues stemming from his unacceptable treatment at Collingwood, he is supposed to be a liar and an agitator.

Just shows what hypocrites and special type of double standards a large majority of Collingwood fans, easily the worst and most toxic fans in all of Australian Sports.

Trent the flight Steward

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2006
Cessnock
AFL Club
Geelong

Why can't degoey take full responsibility for his actions. No one forced him to go to Bali and nightclubs and post it on social media??

Then what does he expect no reaction from it, he has to be dumbest footballer of all time, he's had a private school education, numerous club councilling sessions yet he chooses to do all those things. No other footballer during the bye decided to show that on social media. Hes broken the clubs social media policy, the clubs trust and his team mates trust.

Because of those actions and not fronting up to the media like bailey Smith did he's run away and missing a game which hurts the club more. It's selfish entitled behaviour.

You know his actions weren't the worst thing, the female on that occasion didn't have a problem, but if we condone it, every young party boy local footy player is going to try the same thing at a footy club ball and not every female is going to react like that and then there's problems and it's as a whole as blokes we need to be better at understanding women aren't objects, if he just said I went too far with that and you need to know guys you can't do that and put it insta I was wrong sorry it would have been over Sunday night

tastiger

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Feel a little sorry for Jordan as he hasn't done a lot wrong this time. Imagine ablett Sn in this day and age. Being responsible for the death of a young lady if far worse than anything Jordan has done.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
You’re an absolute flog.

Going off on your own, irrelevant, tangents to make an argument.

Read my post without the hatred for Collingwood and it’s supporters - I was pointing out how the media did not report what JDG did the week prior for a family suffering from MND, yet jumped all over him simply going to Bali. I wasn’t trying to paint JDG as a good bloke. I was referencing how the media only report the bad.

You seriously talk s**t at the best of times. What an absolute tool.

Calm down.

Why do you assume they are going after JDG just because he is a Collingwood player ?

Players who built up bad raps for off field incidents at other clubs over the years were given as much media coverage over their incidents at the time (IE Ben Cousins and Fevola)

It just seems more coverage centered around De Goey because of the rise of social media and coming so soon after that incident in New York last year.

You are well within your rights to defend De Goey (as naive and misguided as I think it is) but you are dead wrong that the media have gone hard for De Goey just because he is 'Collingwood player.

That's just unfounded paranoid nonsense.

Feb 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, Chicago Blackhawks
Calm down.

Why do you assume they are going after JDG just because he is a Collingwood player ?

Players who built up bad raps for off field incidents at other clubs over the years were given as much media coverage over their incidents at the time (IE Ben Cousins and Fevola)

It just seems more coverage centered around De Goey because of the rise of social media and coming so soon after that incident in New York last year.

You are well within your rights to defend De Goey (as naive and misguided as I think it is) but you are dead wrong that the media have gone hard for De Goey just because he is 'Collingwood player.

That's just unfounded paranoid nonsense.
If you look at what De Goey has "done" compared to recent Melbourne and Bulldogs players and compare the amount of articles written, and you still don't believe its anti-Collingwood bias, then you've lost it. I don't even need to do the math to know that when you've got f-wits like G Lyon spouting crap like "immoral" behaviour that we've lost the plot.

Back