When will WA get an NRL team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Barlos Crathwaite

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Millions of people live in WA and literally have no team to support in what's supposed to be a NATIONAL comp. What a waste of time. Even the gold coast have been indulged for 13 years now off the back of consistently poor seasons. Get the reds back in there or relocate a Sydney team for goodness sakes. Heck id even barrack for a tassy team in the NRL. They don't even have an AFL team either. Must be nothing to do down there in the weekend but mow their lawns.

Millions of people live in WA and literally have no team to support in what's supposed to be a NATIONAL comp. What a waste of time. Even the gold coast have been indulged for 13 years now off the back of consistently poor seasons. Get the reds back in there or relocate a Sydney team for goodness sakes. Heck id even barrack for a tassy team in the NRL. They don't even have an AFL team either. Must be nothing to do down there in the weekend but mow their lawns.
its unlikely at this stage

on what basis. if theyre gonna continue to add teams in existing heartlands theyre literally ******* themselves

I liked how the AFL set up their teams..... 18 teams. 10 Vic Sides, 2 each from Queensland, NSW, SA and WA.

NRL has 16 sides. 10 in NSW, 3 on QLD, 1 in Victoria, 1 in ACT and 1 in New Zealand.

Why not bring a Team from WA and SA? Because for some reason the dont add enough money in the TV rights table

I agree that there should be a team in Perth. But I can see where the NRL are going. You don't want a poorly run Sydney club moving there, not do you want an old failed team. You want a brand new one. Pretty sure its the Perth Pirates or something I've heard.

Firstly the game doesn't have the cash like the AFL. The cost of a brand new team in a non traditional area would be huge. Need to make sure the fianicals are squared away first.

Secondly the NRL doesn't have the player talent for 2 new teams. Unlike the AFL it is up against English Super League and Rugby. The money is in Europe.

As for the Gold Coast Titans. Yes they have been a sham for a while with their poor on field results. But they are a team within a RL heartland & metro area of 3.5 million, in a huge junior area for RL. I doubt they are going anywhere while the Suns exist.

I would say that Perth and Brisbane are the new teams when they come in. The new ARLC Chairman seems to have a good ideas and has done well at his previous positions. So its looking good.

In the mean time get along to the NRL 9s next year, or either of the 2 NRL games Perth has for the 2020 season.

NSW and Queensland are the heartland I hear you say.
Bullshit I say.
How many new players have come from Victoria, WA and NT over the past five years compared to the previous twenty?
I’m guessing it’s up on average.

NSW basically South of Canberra and West of Wagga are footy and Queensland in certain areas now is more footy than league, hell even Union is beating league in some areas.

WA is ripe after the Unions * up with not dumping ACT, they need a team now if not years ago.

Why not bring a Team from WA and SA?

Why not? i think you have to ask why do you want a more diverse NRL.
Is it merely flag-waving, to service a demand, looking towards the future and how badly do you want this?
Flag-waving - women have a national soccer competition and that's good for the soul but nobody attends, watches or cares.
Servicing a demand - that's the debatable question, especially attendances vs ratings.
Future planning - obviously an admirable feature but cost/benefit is always going to rule.
How badly do you want this to happen - if you really want something to happen, then it can happen but not easily but the forces against expansion are primarily within the organisation. The existing teams within the organisation know they will have to somehow contribute.

The only way will be if one of the Sydney teams dies in the backside or comes close like Fitzroy did. They need to move some teams out to be honest, but do it in such a way that they still kick on in the lower grades but the first grade side gets moved.

Perth is an obvious choice.

Brisbane 2 is never going to happen as News Corp own the Broncos. Gold Coast Titans could well object too, they probably get the overflow/disenchanted now.

Brisbane 2 is never going to happen as News Corp own the Broncos. Gold Coast Titans could well object too, they probably get the overflow/disenchanted now.
I'd dare say the Titans would be the ones moved to Brisbane for their second team. Makes sense somehow.

Stuff Rupert.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t see a one hundred percent Briz2, more like Ipswich, Redcliffe, SunCoast plus 3 or 4 games at Suncorp.

Perth would be my pick but you'd think Queensland would get another NRL team first. Perth may have to wait for a Sydney team to be moved out west. Can't see the point in the amount of terrible NSW teams in the comp

They're already up there, easy to do a reverse Brisbane Bears (base themselves in GC, play at Suncorp).

Perth would be my pick but you'd think Queensland would get another NRL team first. Perth may have to wait for a Sydney team to be moved out west. Can't see the point in the amount of terrible NSW teams in the comp

Perth is a good choice for many reasons, but I think the only way they'll get a team is if TV wants another team OR a Sydney team gets moved.

They're already up there, easy to do a reverse Brisbane Bears (base themselves in GC, play at Suncorp).

Perth is a good choice for many reasons, but I think the only way they'll get a team is if TV wants another team OR a Sydney team gets moved.
Give Perth the Tigers. They'd make them into a force

Lattrell Mitchell got offered a million a year for four years to play there and didn't want to know. Says it all really although Benji has been excellent

Where was the money coming from?
Tigers are broke and have nothing.

West’s on the other hand have a fair bit but I can’t understand why they left Campbelltown.

Where was the money coming from?
Tigers are broke and have nothing.

West’s on the other hand have a fair bit but I can’t understand why they left Campbelltown.

IIRC - Wests had two bases - the original at Ashfield and Campbelltown (which may be independent of Wests altogether - likely to be wrong). Wests Ashfield have taken over Balmain's side of the JV - effectively Wests Tigers are 100% owned by Wests Ashfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back