When will WA get an NRL team?

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Well if Perth get a team in the NRL, will the WA grass roots go up?

In the end it depends how much the NRL want to grow the game. They could use the model they have here in Melbourne where they seem happy just to have a team, or they can put some money into trying to grow the game. I don't have much faith in them doing the latter.

Sep 11, 2003
Slovenia
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool

Heard this on the radio this morning, struggle to see the logic this morning except perfect in 20-30 years in the future.
People generally don't change teams without a good reason. Why would existing Brisbane fans start supporting the other Brisbane team?
There's no geographical separation - what is the strategy to build a fanbase?

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Heard this on the radio this morning, struggle to see the logic this morning except perfect in 20-30 years in the future.
People generally don't change teams without a good reason. Why would existing Brisbane fans start supporting the other Brisbane team?

I would think this quote explains it.

The revelation will rock the Queensland sporting market with V’landys keen for the Broncos and a second Brisbane team to take a stranglehold over rival codes the AFL, rugby and football’s A-League in the Sunshine State.

Ideally so Suncorp Stadium is used every week. That would be the number 1 reason. The NRL don’t have to worry about this team getting crowds.

Sep 11, 2003
Slovenia
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
I would think this quote explains it.
Not really. AFL is never taking over in Queensland - and a second team based in the same geographic location as the Broncos who are extremely well supported makes absolutely no sense. Second team or not AFL isn't going to be any more, or less dominant.

Are they expecting the people of their state to support two teams? Sort of weakness the meaning associated with supporting a team which only comes in singularity.

Perth would appear a more logical and beneficial proposition.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Brisbane 2 should've happened a long time ago (like Perth 2, Adelaide 2, Sydney 2 in the AFL) but the Broncos are owned by News Corp so it wasn't allowed.

Should've gone to Perth after the Force were killed off.

What’s changed since the last time it failed there? I don’t get this fascination of expanding into previous failed areas. Gold Goast was a push as it is. The second Brisbane side has a lot less risks attached.

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
What’s changed since the last time it failed there? I don’t get this fascination of expanding into previous failed areas. Gold Goast was a push as it is. The second Brisbane side has a lot less risks attached.

The side never failed. I've posted an article in the thread which gave some pretty horrendous accounts of just how tough it was made for them to survive financially. I do agree Brisbane is the least risky and GC will (IMO) continue to have a team.

The side never failed. I've posted an article in the thread which gave some pretty horrendous accounts of just how tough it was made for them to survive financially. I do agree Brisbane is the least risky and GC will (IMO) continue to have a team.

It seems an almighty gamble and I’m not sure the game can afford right now to take a real gamble. Also travel for other teams has to be considered. I’m in the camp of not expanding for a few years anyway with Brisbane 2 being the first one for me personally. Think we have to get to a stage to admit two teams at once.

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
It seems an almighty gamble and I’m not sure the game can afford right now to take a real gamble. Also travel for other teams has to be considered. I’m in the camp of not expanding for a few years anyway with Brisbane 2 being the first one for me personally. Think we have to get to a stage to admit two teams at once.

It's definitely a time to consolidate.

Hap Hapablap

I'm off to Nepal to become a mountain goat.
Jun 27, 2006
Where the cows go bong.
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers,Internazionale, Man U
by going to brisbane shows the nrl doesnt have the balls to take on the afl.

their loss.

with the force being reinvited to play in a national comp this season dont be surprised if union reinstates them once south africa pulls out of sanzaar

HulkSmash

Just a bit outside...
Jan 7, 2020
Rent-free in your head
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
NK, NUJ, SK, ST, NSWW, NSWP, MUFC
The only reason Brisbane will get a 2nd team, when it all comes down to it, is because Nine and Fox want one. Why do you think Nine keeps forcing Broncos games down our throats.

Perth is still ideal with time difference, but remember, NRL is filled with idiots who only want to benefit their back pockets.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Second Brisbane team makes no sense to me. It's not an emerging Rugby League market, and Broncos fans aren't going to cross. Other than NSW or NT, a team in any other state would have made more sense to me than a Brisbane team. Even potentially another QLD team with a geographical market difference.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
Okay then rephrased, it isn't adding any new fans to the game. So the net return of new fans isn't high from this.
Yes, agreed. Will just take away any existing supporters and they love a winner in Brisbane so I’d imagine whilst the Lions are winning there would be plenty who jump codes also. Perth or even Adelaide would make much more sense.

Back