When will Watson debut?

Shaks

Team Captain
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
From the glimpses I've seen of Watson in the Wafl he seems to be reliable. I hope his disposal is not an issue anymore. He's tall enough to play on talls and fast enough to play on smalls. I'm not sure how fast his first 20 meters is but I'm assuming his cruising speed would be pretty fast.
If he gets a few games under his belt he could prove to be a dangerous defender.
I'm hoping he gets a chance this week or soon now that Duggan is injured.

Shaks

Team Captain
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
If Watson does come in for Duggan who would make way for JK?
I wouldn't like to see the sneeze get dropped. It would be rough to drop Masten after a good game. Nelson plays ok as a lock down defender and had a decent game without setting the world on fire. It's probably not going to happen but I'd drop Nelson for Watson to see what he has.

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
He was good on the weekend but so was Rotham and Cole. Both younger than him as well.

It's gonna be a tough call tbh. I see Cole probably coming in as he has was a regular of this side for for a while and has been decent since he went back to the BEAGLES.

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
I dont really trust Watson's kicking TBH . Sure he can hit some amazing targets at times but he also commits some bad turnovers which will result in goals .

I trust cole rotham and to a lesser extent nelson more coming out of our backline

Jul 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast Wonders, West Perth
My doctor’s cousin’s former roommate heard from her chiropractor who heard from an uber driver that said uber driver’s mate’s mate’s grandfather, who works for the WAFC heard a random passerby on the street say that they overheard a checkout clerk mention that their tailor whose ex-wife works for the club said that Watson might debut this week.

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
I dont really trust Watson's kicking TBH . Sure he can hit some amazing targets at times but he also commits some bad turnovers which will result in goals .

I trust cole rotham and to a lesser extent nelson more coming out of our backline
Coming in for Duggan though so it’s more of the same. Duggo kicks some blinders but balances that out with some mongrels. Ball will be in the hands of Jetta/Hurn for the aggressive kicks anyway so Frankie will just need to play the percentages. Think he’s the most like for like replacement out of the 3. Good size, goes hard and loves a tackle (not sure what he’s like in the air, haven’t seen too many WAFL games this year).

Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast

If so he doesnt fit into our precision game plan unfortunately. It might explain why he hasn't played a senior game yet.

Put me down for never unfortunately. Hope to be proven wrong but he’s never looked particularly ready to me, albeit I watched a limited amount of WAFL prior to this season. Rotham and Cole seem well clear of him to me.

Hope he makes me look more of a dickhead than usual.

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
I just can't see him getting a game to be honest.

For me, there were always 2 glaring deficiencies:

-his disposal by foot
-his lack of physical strength

He seems to have addressed the first point, but in regards to the 2nd point if he gets caught out in a one on one marking contest at AFL level he will be an out and out liability. He will get rag dolled. It's like he went to the Chris Masten school of strength and conditioning.

The guy seems like a great bloke, and he does have skills and great pace. But he seems like another one of those players that was marked for a key position post expecting he would fill out, but never quite did.

Brave Sir Robin

Cancelled
Jun 27, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
I'd like to see the guy get his chance at AFL level but I'm not sure whether that should be with us. I'm
not convinced about him yet and I don't think he's done enough to warrant a place in a premiership side that is sitting 2nd heading to the business end of the year.

Rotham earned his chance and grabbed the opportunities he was given - isn't he a safer bet if we're looking for a half back?

-his disposal by foot

He seems to have addressed the first point, but in regards to the 2nd point if he gets caught out in a one on one marking contest at AFL level he will be an out and out liability. He will get rag dolled. It's like he went to the Chris Masten school of strength and conditioning.

The guy seems like a great bloke, and he does have skills and great pace. But he seems like another one of those players that was marked for a key position post expecting he would fill out, but never quite did.

Really?

Watson's tackling aggression is one of his standout features I thought. He's definitely added some size although albeit is always going to be a rangier build. I always thought they picked him up as a risky but potentially high ceiling replacement in the Shep model.

Shaks

Team Captain
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

-his disposal by foot

I think if you watch last week's Wafl game against Peel you'll find the commentators praising the physicality of Watson. A replay of the game is on the Eagles app. He certainly does not get rag dolled.
He has quite a solid frame now. I think your comments are based on what his physique was before as opposed to what he is now.
I think he is Afl ready.

campaigner___

Club Legend
May 30, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
My doctor’s cousin’s former roommate heard from her chiropractor who heard from an uber driver that said uber driver’s mate’s mate’s grandfather, who works for the WAFC heard a random passerby on the street say that they overheard a checkout clerk mention that their tailor whose ex-wife works for the club said that Watson might debut this week.
My girlfriend works with Watson's mum (not joking) and I can assure everyone, they give nothing away. Ever. No matter how many emails I send asking.

Back