Analysis When will we actually address our staggering recent record in crunch games?

Remove this Banner Ad

Our performances when the season is on the line have been disastrous if not comical since 2011. Here is what has happened for those who have forgotton or pretend otherwise in our last 8 finals/season knockout games? Its unbelievable when put together.

2012. Freo final at the MCG and we were almost unbackable favourites and got jumped at the start. Never in it at all.
2013. Again Freo final. We were clear favourits again at Geelong and got done in the second half. Atleast we showed up at the start though. That has been rare as the rest of the story shows.
2013. Port. We won. Just. But were clear favourites and four goals down at half time. We simply did not rock up in the first half.
2013. Hawthorn Prelim. Probably our best knockout game since 2011. The only one we can be proud of. But again. 3 goals up at 3qtr time and got run down. When that is the best performance it just shows how staggeringly bad we have been.
2014. Hawthorn Final. Just weren't really in this game at all. You can say it was cos we weren't good enough but we beat them earlier in the year and gave them a massive jump just two weeks earlier before we put the cue in the rack after Mission was Accomplished.
2014. Kangeroos knock out final . Simply didn't show up at the start for a knockout final again. Again. Came back with a wet sail and were clearly better than the roos (we beat them earlier in the year convincingly) but to late.
2015. Must win the last 3 games to make finals. Play two bottom sides out of finals contention and get jumped at the start both weeks. Show basically zero intensity (just two weeks earlier against the Swans we showed amazing intensity but when the season is truly on the line we show nothing in the intensity department) Last game no longer matters. Probably will win in a cantour now.

Why do our players not get up for the knockout games? We can't pretend this isn't an issue anymore. 2011 is long and dusted now. Does anyone have any reason why this might be occurring or is it just a coincidence? Is it the coaches, is it luck, is it the players lack of drive? And most importantly, does anyone have any ideas how the club rectifies this?
They won't. That's your answer.
And not for a fair while either.
There's still a stand to build, and Corona will make the hunger for bums on KP reserved seats and sponsorship that comes with prime TV slots more ravenous than ever.
There will be no going steps back to go steps forward for at least half a decade.
So get even more used to topping up and being in "contention" with our club now turned buisness.
Sorry but its the way it is.

Nothing has changed since 2012. Since the glory days we are now perennial finals chokers. A mentally weak club. Honestly don’t give a s**t about the h&a wins. They mean zero when we lose in finals. I’ll always stick with the club. But I just don’t respect them. The current team and coaches that is. Every bit of respect our once great club built has been eroded by this mob of me tally weak chokers.

We all knew we’d be deer in headlights. It played out last night exactly to script.

We will win this week. Only to get smashed by Richmond in the prelim. Nothing surer.

Broken record.

Perspective is a strange thing. A Geelong fan thinks a season where they miss the finals with a 10-9-1 record after 20 games is a major disappointment. Fans from the Saints, Suns, Dees or Blues would take a win-loss ratio like that in a heartbeat.
Why compare with the lower ranked teams? Compare up top. That’s where flags are won!

It’s actually staggering that nothings changed.
I know. I thought the record was pretty amazing back in 2015 when it had happened for bascially all key games for 4 seasons. And its followed exactly to script for another 5 years. Its now a nine season event.

its just a bewildering record. and the coach is now out there attacking criticism of it as nothing to see here folks. Pure self defense.

Last edited:
I know. I thought the record was pretty amazing back in 2015 when it had happened number for bascially all key games for 4 seasons. And its followed exactly to script for another 5 years. Its now a nine season event.

its just a bewildering record. and the coach is now out there attacking criticism of it as nothing to see here folks. Pure self defense.
The 1 time I thought we were completely different was the first half of 2019.
Just looked a desperate, committed team.
But nope. Same old s**t.
Something is seriously wrong down there at the moment.
I’m sick of getting my hopes up time and time again.
I won’t be fooled again.

The 1 time I thought we were completely different was the first half of 2019.
Just looked a desperate, committed team.
But nope. Same old sh*t.
Something is seriously wrong down there at the moment.
I’m sick of getting my hopes up time and time again.
I won’t be fooled again.
I will like to say we are being heard. However, we get criticised instead for making criticisms. The club is literally dividing into 2. Those who defend the current administration and coaches regardless of outcome on one side and everyone else.

this will only change with a challenge to the board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. Success to the board isnt flags. Its doing well enough to keep the money coming in. Dont need flags for that. Just top 4 finishes.
That is until your members just say * it I'm outa here. IIRC the Club a few years ago used to budget for a 30% non retention of members and a cost against having to attract new members every year. What does that say if you are prepared to lose 1/3 of you customers year on year?

They won't. That's your answer.
And not for a fair while either.
There's still a stand to build, and Corona will make the hunger for bums on KP reserved seats and sponsorship that comes with prime TV slots more ravenous than ever.
There will be no going steps back to go steps forward for at least half a decade.
So get even more used to topping up and being in "contention" with our club now turned buisness.
Sorry but its the way it is.
Of course.
Footy clubs are now just corporations. The concept of sacrificing a few years to build for a premiership assault is anathema to most administrators and coaches who are under increasing pressure to produce results and build memberships and sponsorships.
They insult the intelligence of true supporters, believing that a few years at the lower end of the ladder will kill the bottom line. Not convinced that is true, but the pencil necks have well and truly seized control at GFC in recent times so not likely to see any changes anytime soon.
In some ways our zombie ‘semi success‘ has worked against us longer term.

Of course.
Footy clubs are now just corporations. The concept of sacrificing a few years to build for a premiership assault is anathema to most administrators and coaches who are under increasing pressure to produce results and build memberships and sponsorships.
They insult the intelligence of true supporters, believing that a few years at the lower end of the ladder will kill the bottom line. Not convinced that is true, but the pencil necks have well and truly seized control at GFC in recent times so not likely to see any changes anytime soon.
In some ways our zombie ‘semi success‘ has worked against us longer term
Happened 20 years ago

Remove this Banner Ad

Back