Analysis When will we actually address our staggering recent record in crunch games?

Remove this Banner Ad

the club is too reactive not proactive

clubs like the saints and bulldogs have gone past us

they realised quickly that they weren't good enough to win a flag and got on the front foot turning over their lists and getting kids

having 9 guys over 30 in 2015 yet getting rid of hunt/hamling/brown/varcoe and picking up a washed up kpf/ruck and giving up a 10 year player (hugh goddard) for a project ruckman is a joke

the club has gone backwards since 2011 (and not because of ladder position)
I must have missed their flags.

This posts contains a number of errors

1.Chapman,Cory,Hunt and Podsiadly did not leave at the end of 2012 , they left at the end of 2013.

2.Expecting us to replace that level of talent within 5 years is delusional, especially when you include the players we still have on our list who aren't as good as they used to be. It took Thompson 7 years to build a premiership side even with a stack of early draft picks in his first few years.

3.I answered this question earlier about our finals performances compared with the home and away season. Comes down to the following 2 reasons.

-Our opposition has been able to take their game to another level in the finals , we have not been able to take our game to another level because we have played at our best during the home and away season.

-The durability of our list has hurt us big time .In every final we have had key players out as well as other key players playing injured. We have not gone into 1 final with our list in good shape.

So would you been happier for us to not play finals over the past 3 years ? or did you expect us to spend 10 years contending for a premiership ?

The truth is we have put in a great effort to play in the past 3 finals series given how long we have been up for , sadly when we made the finals our opposition just went up a gear and were to good for us

So you don't think that last night was an extremely poor, disappointing effort? You don't think that it is concerning that we put in poor efforts like that, against fairly average opposition, in what are effectively the most important two games of our season?

I think we are still better than that, or at least we should be. Neither of those teams had nearly as much skin in those games as us.

So you don't think that last night was an extremely poor, disappointing effort? You don't think that it is concerning that we put in poor efforts like that, against fairly average opposition, in what are effectively the most important two games of our season?

I think we are still better than that, or at least we should be. Neither of those teams had nearly as much skin in those games as us.

Without question it was poor , I am gutted that we played like that . But we have to remember that we have been a good side for 11 years , we had to become an average side at some point .Being an average side means that you lose games you would expect to win.

I am understanding with regards to our current situation but I expect it to be fixed soon. If were not heading towards a premiership in 2017 I will be very angry.

The opening Post says - " When will the club address the staggering recent record"

I was pissed off big time last night - and i hope theres a big cull - and i hope we dont bring in plodders like Henderson and S Scooter

However what you have to remember ( according to the stats on the main board) is Geelongs holds the win/loss record for the last 100 , 200, 300 ,400,500,600,700,800 and 900 games !!! - you have to go back 1000 games !! - before any club ( Hawthorn) has a better win loss record than Geelong

Plus 3 flags - 47 finals since it became national - another record

So to answer the opening post - i think you ought to take a panadol mate and relax

We should've beaten Norf (once), Melbourne, St Kilda and Collingwood at the very least.
Why?
There are excellent reasons why we should not have and did not beat all of those teams.
NM- their MF/Ruck set up is far ahead of ours.
Melbourne- they smashed us in all our areas of weakness
St.Kilda- they deserved to win that as much as we did
Collingwood-we did beat them and we were easily better for 2 +/q, and in our return match last night, they were superior in all facets of the game.
In none of those losses were we unlucky.

O

Why do our players not get up for the knockout games? We can't pretend this isn't an issue anymore. 2011 is long and dusted now. Does anyone have any reason why this might be occurring or is it just a coincidence? Is it the coaches, is it luck, is it the players lack of drive? And most importantly, does anyone have any ideas how the club rectifies this?
Because we are not good enough?

That doesn't influence intensity and also doesn't explain why we beat these teams earlier in the year. It was a 90 point turn around against the pies.
Crows had a 113 point turnaround against WCE today.
Just examine ALL the circumstances carefully and you'll have your answer, and it won't be wrong.
As long as you accept we had no petrol in the tank to be intense on Fri pm.
Did you see the team after the Saints draw? Absolutely spent. We have played Thurlow- no preseason, Gregson/Lang- teenagers, and again, no rucks, no help for Selwood, and the season can't end soon enough for our veterans.

They sure did! Didn't the Saints hit rock bottom last year after their downward spiral? And the Dogs have spent a few years in the woods as well.

their list management has been far superior in the last few years

the bulldogs are now the top young side, would be surprised if they didn't win a flag or 2 in the next 5 years with their list

the saints are similar but probably 2 years behind

our list is good 24yo and younger but its not strong enough to win a flag. We are going about it the wrong way, topping up with mature agers like Danger, Selwood and Henderson might get us up to 6th - 3rd but that's about it.

their list management has been far superior in the last few years

the bulldogs are now the top young side, would be surprised if they didn't win a flag or 2 in the next 5 years with their list

the saints are similar but probably 2 years behind

our list is good 24yo and younger but its not strong enough to win a flag. We are going about it the wrong way, topping up with mature agers like Danger, Selwood and Henderson might get us up to 6th - 3rd but that's about it.

Danger Selwood and Hendo are 25...... That's not topping up, that is complimenting what we already have.

Danger Selwood and Hendo are 25...... That's not topping up, that is complimenting what we already have.
I like the concept of selecting the best quality players available, preferably those with LT futures. How can that go wrong?

Coach is doing a wonderful job. Not one of the available coaches who were interviewed in 2010 could have taken that team to finals, let alone another grand final when there were only ever three teams capable of doing any damage.

Blokes like Chapman (29), Corey (29), Ottens (31), Bartel (27), Selwood (23), Johnson (28), Kelly (27), Taylor (25), Scarlett (32), Enright (30), Milburn (33), Hawkins (23), Ling (30), Podsiadly (30), Wojak (31), Stokes (26), Lonergan (27) . . . they were all cooked! Even the blokes who were 28, 29 years of age were finished at the end of 2010 but somehow, someway, Chris Scott found a way to spark them into action again. It was incredible watching Bartel turn back the clock to the kind of football he was playing one year previously, same with Chappy.

Our coaching staff have been pro active in ensuring our list remains ahead of the pack. They have brought in players no other club ever thought about bringing in. Blokes like Rivers (a once in a generational defender), Stephenson (arguably the greatest VFL ruckman to have ever played the game), McIntosh; Now what a player this guy was (at 24), Clark. His impact in 2015 will never be forgotten, thank you Mitch! Delaney. Brad Scott is losing his mind helping out his brother like this. No wonder North Melbourne are filthy and have been going down hill these last couple of years ('oh wait a minute').

We took a punt on Rhys Stanley, even though he was no longer best 22, and playing in one of the worst lists in the competition at the time, there is no denying this trade will trump any other trade we have done in recent times.
So we said goodbye to Christensen, Toohey, Hamling, Varcoe, (Motlop?) and we continue to revolutionize the game by bending over during trade week and taking it up the a**. It's a sight to behold what has transpired at Cat land in recent times.

I cannot wait until Matthew Krezuer says to Carlton "Guys, it's been swell but I'm off" This is when Geelong do their best work. These choices are ensuring we slowly but surely rise back up the ladder in the same way the Western Bulldogs, Port Adelaide and St Kilda did by backing in their youth/development systems.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bobby, coach is doing a good job? You are kidding me. Anyone who plays Cockatoo every week doesn't deserve to coach. I have been watching Scott for the last 5 years and I am not sure yet whether he can actually coach at all.

Wow, i am staggered by the number of people in this thread who appear to be satisfied with the nature of our insipid exit from calculations this year (and over the last few years).
Don't get me wrong, i am as optimistic about our future as anyone, and i am not calling for the ciach to be sacked or anything extreme like that, but for fans to simply accept bending over like this at the end of successive seasons reeks of complacency.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Wow, i am staggered by the number of people in this thread who appear to be satisfied with the nature of our insipid exit from calculations this year (and over the last few years).
Don't get me wrong, i am as optimistic about our future as anyone, and i am not calling for the ciach to be sacked or anything extreme like that, but for fans to simply accept bending over like this at the end of successive seasons reeks of complacency.

well said cool cat

this are the same people cool cat that picked us to finish top 4 at the start of the year, then at the half way mark they said we will finish top 6, then with 4-5 weeks to go it was we will win the last three games and make the final spot in the eight.

now they are content that we are not making finals

Bobby, coach is doing a good job? You are kidding me. Anyone who plays Cockatoo every week doesn't deserve to coach. I have been watching Scott for the last 5 years and I am not sure yet whether he can actually coach at all.

yeh' again, my post was pure sarcasm.
Go check out the ages of our players who played in 2011. Johnson, Bartel, Corey, Chappy, Kelly, Lonergan, Taylor . . . they were in the prime of their lives but people on here continually make it sound like we had no right to finish top four when Chris Scott took over, let alone compete for another premiership.
Anyone of the coaches interviewed for the Geelong gig in 2010 would have taken that squad to another grand final the following year.
Scott gets far too much credit and he himself says he had an amazing list to work with.

Crows had a 113 point turnaround against WCE today.
Just examine ALL the circumstances carefully and you'll have your answer, and it won't be wrong.
As long as you accept we had no petrol in the tank to be intense on Fri pm.
Did you see the team after the Saints draw? Absolutely spent. We have played Thurlow- no preseason, Gregson/Lang- teenagers, and again, no rucks, no help for Selwood, and the season can't end soon enough for our veterans.
Crows are playing for home final where Eagles already have top 2 spot given their last game. Geelong was in the position of Adelaide playing for something important whilst saints and pies were like the Eagles. By your argument we should of won by more than we did earlier in the year.

yeh' again, my post was pure sarcasm.
Go check out the ages of our players who played in 2011. Johnson, Bartel, Corey, Chappy, Kelly, Lonergan, Taylor . . . they were in the prime of their lives but people on here continually make it sound like we had no right to finish top four when Chris Scott took over, let alone compete for another premiership.
Anyone of the coaches interviewed for the Geelong gig in 2010 would have taken that squad to another grand final the following year.
Scott gets far too much credit and he himself says he had an amazing list to work with.
Yep we lost 2010 cos our strategy had been worked out. Everyone knew it and anyone would of made the change Scott did. Even Thompson knew what needed to be done.

yep the denial is amazing. Even when it's all put in front they just deny it and say we aren't good enough. Ignoring the way we lost the games and the fact we started as favourites in most of them. Boy these guys really should of made a killing by gambling on these games if they knew we weren't good enough when everyone else thought we were the favoured team.

The best argument I've heard so far is that during regular home and away geelong try their best whilst most other teams don't try their best. Then during finals the other teams try their best for a change and it's better then our best. Seriously someone posted this. Its not one team that lacks intensity during the finals, it's every other team that lacks intensity during the home and away. :rolleyes:

Carlton, Brisbane, and Melbourne all have staggering recent records. They have a litany of buying in "STARS OF THE GAME!", sacking coaches, and supporters with an overdeveloped sense of entitlement and no patience. And no idea.

Bart Cummings "A hundred dollars a week to train your horse. A hundred and fifty dollars if you want to ring me and tell me how to do it."

The best argument I've heard so far is that during regular home and away geelong try their best whilst most other teams don't try their best. Then during finals the other teams try their best for a change and it's better then our best. Seriously someone posted this. Its not one team that lacks intensity during the finals, it's every other team that lacks intensity during the home and away. :rolleyes:

I want to see that post, please.

the club is too reactive not proactive

clubs like the saints and bulldogs have gone past us

they realised quickly that they weren't good enough to win a flag and got on the front foot turning over their lists and getting kids

having 9 guys over 30 in 2015 yet getting rid of hunt/hamling/brown/varcoe and picking up a washed up kpf/ruck and giving up a 10 year player (hugh goddard) for a project ruckman is a joke

the club has gone backwards since 2011 (and not because of ladder position)
they've got in front of us this year - where were they 2007 - 2011 ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back