Analysis When will we actually address our staggering recent record in crunch games?

Remove this Banner Ad

Perspective is a strange thing. A Geelong fan thinks a season where they miss the finals with a 10-9-1 record after 20 games is a major disappointment. Fans from the Saints, Suns, Dees or Blues would take a win-loss ratio like that in a heartbeat.

If Scott can tell Milburn I am not going to play you in a Grand final ,I am going with Duncan it means he can make the tough decision .
If he can tell Chapman,Hunt and Podsiadly who all wanted to play on that they are no longer required it means he can make the tough call.

-Mcintosh was taken as a risk in an attempt to win a flag in 2013 , the club new he might never play a game for us but it was a punt in order to win a premiership .
-Still early days with Clark , it was also a risk but the truth is Varcoe doesn't make us a better side at all.We did not lose much.
-Bartel and Kelly were our 3 highest disposal getters in our best game of the year against Sydney in round 20.
-A large part of the reason why we have taken a risk with injury prone players is because we haven't given up a massive amount to get them ,Sure there were risks involved but there is always risks involved with going via the draft .To get quality established players we would of had to of given up much more than we have.
Give up on the McIntosh one mate. You and I agree on the motives behind it but I've long given up debating it with Partridge on this one. He doesn't see eye to eye on it.

As for Clark I agree, too early to call yet although it is a concern.

OK, we're turning over our list, we're letting our older players go and we've dropped down the ladder- why all the whinging, whining and gnashing of teeth? :confused:

Oh, dumb question- it's Scott's fault, apparently.... whatever it is.
Oh Teri :hearts: you're learning very quickly everything around here is Scott's fault!!!

Perspective is a strange thing. A Geelong fan thinks a season where they miss the finals with a 10-9-1 record after 20 games is a major disappointment. Fans from the Saints, Suns, Dees or Blues would take a win-loss ratio like that in a heartbeat.
Why are you aspiring to be mediocre? A successful year is not finishing mid road.

similarly hawks freo fans would sack there coach

Why are you aspiring to be mediocre? A successful year is not finishing mid road.
but reality says that you will not have a top finish every year - and indeed we have held our head higher than most and for longer.

it's not aspiring to be mediocre, but recognizing some reality. Without getting to rock bottom.

imagine being a Saints supporter .......

Oh,she's one of those type

100.gif
Isn't that Partridge? :eek:

but reality says that you will not have a top finish every year - and indeed we have held our head higher than most and for longer.

it's not aspiring to be mediocre, but recognizing some reality. Without getting to rock bottom.

imagine being a Saints supporter .......
If finishing top is so hard, why is every other team doing it?

Wait, s**t.

clubs like the saints and bulldogs have gone past us

they realised quickly that they weren't good enough to win a flag and got on the front foot turning over their lists and getting kids
Are you serious? St Kilda has been obviously doomed since the second 2010 granny, and has taken until 2015 to be mildly competitive in a few games while getting routinely smashed in others.

The Bulldogs have been average for decades, with occasional spurts of quality that quickly disappear again!

Two years ago we were a kick away from a very winnable grand final. One year ago we were still playing finals. We should expect to be back playing finals in 2016.

Depends on where you are up to in terms of your list.

Just missing the finals might be a reasonable result for a club with about 3 players in the 24-28 age group. You can make a fairly strong argument that Geelong has over-performed for several years, including this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course it's not a successful year , but we have been up for 11 years and played in more finals series in a row than any other club.our time was up this year, it's know ones fault and the club has done well to keep us in the finals for so long .

Equalisation took its toll on us just like it has on every single other club since it was introduced. Equalisation in 25 years is undefeated.

im all for keeping johnson next year but the deal with gws for two top 10 draft picks could of been game changing. it cane late but we could of made it work if we really wanted it to. apparently johno would of agreed if he knew what the tade was. why wasnt he told?

This story is the biggest load of bs . The GWS would never of given up 2 top 10 draft picks for a player of johnsons age when they are years away from contending for a premiership.at best they were just trying to test the waters .

The best argument I've heard so far is that during regular home and away geelong try their best whilst most other teams don't try their best. Then during finals the other teams try their best for a change and it's better then our best. Seriously someone posted this. Its not one team that lacks intensity during the finals, it's every other team that lacks intensity during the home and away. :rolleyes:
Lol this still applies.

scarlett just stacks the defence with other scarletts. Problem is you cant just have scarletts in your defence. especially when they are poorer versions.
Him and Knights need to go immediately. We're also still positioned wrong at centre bounces.

so was I wrong? Just a coincident?

i should add all the results of the past 5 years to the list but its just so depressing.

No you're not wrong. But this will never be addressed as the powers that be at the club are happy with making finals every year and doing nothing as it keeps the money rolling in. As long as that attitude remains, nothing changes.

No you're not wrong. But this will never be addressed as the powers that be at the club are happy with making finals every year and doing nothing as it keeps the money rolling in. As long as that attitude remains, nothing changes.
Agree. Success to the board isnt flags. Its doing well enough to keep the money coming in. Dont need flags for that. Just top 4 finishes.

Give up on the McIntosh one mate. You and I agree on the motives behind it but I've long given up debating it with Partridge on this one. He doesn't see eye to eye on it.

As for Clark I agree, too early to call yet although it is a concern.
Where is Partridge??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back