When will we see an openly gay or bisexual AFL player?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dav

Hotel? Trivago.
10k Posts Koala SFA State of Origin Coney Island Warriors - Sweet F.A. Pantskyle SFA Fight For MND SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Brisbane Dolphins Player - BFFCL BFFCL Club Captain Blue Mountain Bounders Player - BFFCL
Jul 23, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Brighton, McLaren F1
I read an article yesterday about a man claiming he has had an affair with a bisexual Premier League footballer that's scared to come out due to fear of fan backlash. This is despite the fact a lot of his teammates already know about it.

It made me think about the situation in the AFL. When will we see an openly gay or bisexual male player in the AFL? When will it become normal, and not illicit insults? Because as much as our society has progressed, it's probably not much of a stretch to say that the AFL's core demographic would be slightly more homophobic than the general populace.

I've even heard unsubstantiated rumours from a reliable source that a player from the Northern Territory considered coming out as gay - despite being straight - in order to improve his chance of being drafted.

There's a lot of questions that can be asked. When will we see the first openly gay or bisexual player in the AFL? Will they be a newly drafted player, or will a currently listed player come out? And how many openly gay or bisexual players do you know at any level?

I read an article yesterday about a man claiming he has had an affair with a bisexual Premier League footballer that's scared to come out due to fear of fan backlash. This is despite the fact a lot of his teammates already know about it.

It made me think about the situation in the AFL. When will we see an openly gay or bisexual male player in the AFL? When will it become normal, and not illicit insults? Because as much as our society has progressed, it's probably not much of a stretch to say that the AFL's core demographic would be slightly more homophobic than the general populace.

I've even heard unsubstantiated rumours from a reliable source that a player from the Northern Territory considered coming out as gay - despite being straight - in order to improve his chance of being drafted.

There's a lot of questions that can be asked. When will we see the first openly gay or bisexual player in the AFL? Will they be a newly drafted player, or will a currently listed player come out? And how many openly gay or bisexual players do you know at any level?
We already do have one.

Just because they don't come out and announce it in the media doesn't mean they're not openly gay

Well that would actually work IMO, because if they didn't get drafted everyone would say the league is homophobic even if they weren't good enough

When it isn't uncouth for a player to openly discuss their love life, not engagement, just new girlfriend etc in the post match then we might see a player getting a high five from Richo for his latest sorta casual but getting more serious grinder fling.

The one you want to be is the second. The first will be paraded around, splattered on the paper and internet, followed by the media, have their boss hold a press conference to say how they knew already, are fully supportive and for some reason have to validate the players place in the club again to the AFL.

It doesn't impact his ability to do his job so I don't care. Happy for him if/when he decides to settle down with his partner but that's a human happiness thing, not a yay - you like dick and it empowers a political cause now for us.

The first person will get totally used by the AFL and gay advocate groups. They get a day and a half off a week, they ain't got time for that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back