When will we stop !!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

How can you say don't get personal and then go onto casually throw in that Gary Ablett senior, Wayne Carey and Leigh Matthews are all terrible human beings?

Which is probably a not so subtle troll anyway, the first 2 have well documented off field incidents but what off the pitch makes Matthews an awful human being in your ivory tower arbitration system. I don't actually want an answer, I've seen enough of your work over the years to know what you are.

On SM-J330G using BigFooty.com mobile app

The three I mentioned have a record of doing horrible non-football related things.

Richard Tambling may not have been a great player but there is no evidence he was a bad person in any way so getting personal with him is rather uncalled for. The three I mentioned though do have a history of personal indiscretions so I feel we can comment on those.

There’s plenty of reasonable criticism that is okay. But there’ll always be cowardly dickheads on the internet. It’s about what’s wrong with them, not what’s wrong with the people they talk about.
Before the internet a player may cop criticism in the media and maybe the odd fan they personally crossed path with. Now they cop criticism from thousands of faceless people 24/7.

Sorry, not even sure what this means.
Cats v woods game day thread. After woods won the game you made a point to reply to comments that had been posted pre game that suggested cats would win. You took your time in sticking it up Cat fans posts. So I think you’re a hypocrite!

Before the internet a player may cop criticism in the media and maybe the odd fan they personally crossed path with. Now they cop criticism from thousands of faceless people 24/7.
Cats v woods game day thread. After woods won the game you made a point to reply to comments that had been posted pre game that suggested cats would win. You took your time in sticking it up Cat fans posts. So I think you’re a hypocrite!

Can you please quote those posts for me and show me where I made personal attacks? If you read the OP I suggested that it is ok to stir up opposition as long as it is not personal. I have nothing but the highest praises for the champions of Geelong such as Gazza Jnr, Selwood and Danger. Please enlighten me with evidence where I have been a hypocrite.

When will we as a football community realise that our actions can have a significant impact on the mental health and wellbeing of AFL players, coaches and administrators. Torment from crowds, horrific actions, online trolling and constant abuse has an impact on people no matter who they are. It’s time to stop. AFL Football is a wonderful game, the best on Earth but it is not life. It is happening time and again and it won’t be long before the worst scenario imaginable will happen again. For God sake, have fun, enjoy stirring up the opposition and bleed for your club but stop the abuse at games and online.
When there are no humans left. That's when it will stop.

have fun, enjoy stirring up the opposition and bleed for your club but stop the abuse at games and online.
Admirable sentiments. One man's stirring is another man's abuse unfortunately. You never know how someone will take your comment. What we need is better support services and the promotion of the idea that asking for help is the bravest thing you can do.

You made sure you replied to many posts about Geelong winning once woods had won. Hypocrite?
Case in point...old mate wouldn't have considered reminding people of their own words as trolling, but others do think that way

The ever increasing movement toward wellbeing and ever increasing diangosis is eroding people's ability to be resilient.

I particularly like this part of your post. Sometimes people confuse the stresses of everyday life with mental health issues. Resilience is the key.

Seriously people only want positive feedback, they want that all the ******* time with no negative feedback.

If people aren't mentally strong enough to be in a high profile job/industry then they should probably look at a different career path. It is harsh, but that is a fact.

When will we as a football community realise that our actions can have a significant impact on the mental health and wellbeing of AFL players, coaches and administrators. Torment from crowds, horrific actions, online trolling and constant abuse has an impact on people no matter who they are. It’s time to stop. AFL Football is a wonderful game, the best on Earth but it is not life. It is happening time and again and it won’t be long before the worst scenario imaginable will happen again. For God sake, have fun, enjoy stirring up the opposition and bleed for your club but stop the abuse at games and online.
I agree, but there will always be dickheads

Seriously people only want positive feedback, they want that all the ******* time with no negative feedback.

If people aren't mentally strong enough to be in a high profile job/industry then they should probably look at a different career path. It is harsh, but that is a fact.
WHat about someone who's just a supremely good footballer, but suffers from mental health issues. There's a big difference between pushing someone to be a better player to expecting them to take every bit of s**t they cop from the public.

This is not about trying to make everything peachy. Life is not all white, and it’s not all black. It’s a murky world full of ups, downs, comfort, discomfort, sadness and joy.

But there is certainly something that can be done to help alleviate these issues in society.

We all live in bubbles and behind hedges and fences. The only way to help this kind of trauma in society is to lower the fences and have open dialogue.

More sharing and cross cultural exchange. Storytelling. Listening to others. Try and step inside others shoes, hear their story and their lived experience and it’s almost impossible to speak to people and treat them the way we treat each other in contemporary society.

We are seemingly more connected than ever, yet have more barriers physical and mental than ever before. It’s easy to pass judgement of something you’re not emotionally connected to and engaged with.

That’s what the biggest issue is. There is so much horrible content that people are forced to confront (in the limelight and every day life). No matter how well equipped you are to deal with it or “how back in my day you copped s**t all the time and we felt with it”... the fact is that people get trapped in an ocean of hurt due to mindless comments and things that aren’t intended to cause harm. Social media and mass media engulfs people and shifts the balance of ups and downs. It can be incredibly traumatic, as we are seeing with the horrifying numbers of people taking their own lives.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is not about trying to make everything peachy. Life is not all white, and it’s not all black. It’s a murky world full of ups, downs, comfort, discomfort, sadness and joy.

But there is certainly something that can be done to help alleviate these issues in society.

We all live in bubbles and behind hedges and fences. The only way to help this kind of trauma in society is to lower the fences and have open dialogue.

More sharing and cross cultural exchange. Storytelling. Listening to others. Try and step inside others shoes, hear their story and their lived experience and it’s almost impossible to speak to people and treat them the way we treat each other in contemporary society.

We are seemingly more connected than ever, yet have more barriers physical and mental than ever before. It’s easy to pass judgement of something you’re not emotionally connected to and engaged with.

That’s what the biggest issue is. There is so much horrible content that people are forced to confront (in the limelight and every day life). No matter how well equipped you are to deal with it or “how back in my day you copped s**t all the time and we felt with it”... the fact is that people get trapped in an ocean of hurt due to mindless comments and things that aren’t intended to cause harm. Social media and mass media engulfs people and shifts the balance of ups and downs. It can be incredibly traumatic, as we are seeing with the horrifying numbers of people taking their own lives.
Great post!

WHat about someone who's just a supremely good footballer, but suffers from mental health issues. There's a big difference between pushing someone to be a better player to expecting them to take every bit of s**t they cop from the public.

no different to someone who is extremely good at their job but doesnt want a promotion because of work-life balance and stress.

No one is forced into being an AFL footballer

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

The three I mentioned have a record of doing horrible non-football related things.

Richard Tambling may not have been a great player but there is no evidence he was a bad person in any way so getting personal with him is rather uncalled for. The three I mentioned though do have a history of personal indiscretions so I feel we can comment on those.

What exactly did Lethal do?

Complaining about online trolls is like complaining about "scum" people offline.

You cannot change the variance of human behavior, there are good and bad seeds... subjectively speaking.

What irks me is that I was raised to know that people are inherently selfish and behave irrationally, therefore you have to be careful around strangers and even people you do not know "fully". As in, do not assume others care for your well being because ultimately individuals focus on their OWN agendas and interest.

With that said... with the rise of social media (Twitter, Instagram (used to be fine before douchey people started posting half nudes for monetary purposes), facebook etc.) those who were usually "muted" in real life, primarily because they've proven themselves illogical, unstable, not credible and plain annoying, have now a "voice".... Social Media and Media in general have allowed a platform to manipulate and influence people at a much wider scale. I mentioned media, because the media is controlled by powerful people with agendas as well, so educate yourself rather than relying on the media.

Online trolls, bullying etc. Will NEVER be eliminated entirely, because "freedom" of expression in the free world has no real consequence legislation wise. Heck, its not a right vs left thing... its a human thing. Past generations, humans were much more disciplined, but these days, everyone has an opinion and they want others to KNOW it... so thats never going to go away any time soon, unless they regulate tightly. But then... good luck with that.

Complaining about online trolls is like complaining about "scum" people offline.

You cannot change the variance of human behavior, there are good and bad seeds... subjectively speaking.

What irks me is that I was raised to know that people are inherently selfish and behave irrationally, therefore you have to be careful around strangers and even people you do not know "fully". As in, do not assume others care for your well being because ultimately individuals focus on their OWN agendas and interest.

With that said... with the rise of social media (Twitter, Instagram (used to be fine before douchey people started posting half nudes for monetary purposes), facebook etc.) those who were usually "muted" in real life, primarily because they've proven themselves illogical, unstable, not credible and plain annoying, have now a "voice".... Social Media and Media in general have allowed a platform to manipulate and influence people at a much wider scale. I mentioned media, because the media is controlled by powerful people with agendas as well, so educate yourself rather than relying on the media.

Online trolls, bullying etc. Will NEVER be eliminated entirely, because "freedom" of expression in the free world has no real consequence legislation wise. Heck, its not a right vs left thing... its a human thing. Past generations, humans were much more disciplined, but these days, everyone has an opinion and they want others to KNOW it... so thats never going to go away any time soon, unless they regulate tightly. But then... good luck with that.

I agree but dunno if people were more disciplined in the past. Maybe in the sense that insulting someone to their face would result in more physical consequences than an equally nasty reply.

The world is not a perfect place. There are elements of it that you cannot influence or control. If your mental health suffers from doing a high stakes high paying public role you are probably better off doing something else. I know it seems s**t but it kind of is what it is.

Obviously this thread is in the wake of the Frawley tragedy but that may be a little misdirected when there were marriage breakdown and financial issues at play. I also noticed people (at the time) wanting to link football crowds treatment of Majak Daw to his incident even though it happened in a hot blooded manner after an argument with his partner.
Nah, that’s rubbish. You can’t tell people doing their job to ‘find something else’ if it’s too hard. That will never make it go away. There needs to be a zero tolerance policy at venues, advertising campaigns reflecting zero tolerance, heavy regulations on social media, and an attitude that we appreciate our stars and don’t cut them down.

Doesn’t help that the media is full of peddling negative content as well as the plethora of football programs prepared to criticise very openly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back