When will your club become extinct?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't mean this in a bad or contentious way, but the AFL is kind of designed to keep the Melbourne clubs alive, and with the way TV deals are set up, I don't think there is the latitude to drop any of the existing clubs anyway.
Maybe a transfer of location.

I don't mean this in a bad or contentious way, but the AFL is kind of designed to keep the Melbourne clubs alive, and with the way TV deals are set up, I don't think there is the latitude to drop any of the existing clubs anyway.

Except it's mostly Vic teams that have gone bust.

Except it's mostly Vic teams that have gone bust.

By my reckoning West Coast,Freo, Sydney and Port have all been up against the wall financially since admission to the league.

Its more that the AFL learned by killing Fitzroy and attempting to kill North that the costs to killing/letting die a Vic club far outweighs any gain.

Apart from being the oldest club in the league and helping to make the rules our club doesn't deserve to exist. Been a ******* joke since 64. Our 2 GF appearances were a joke and then we build for 12 years to finally make finals and we are back to 17th the next year. The MFC literally kill my interest in footy

It is 2040. Global warming causing wars over water and food supply. The AFL suspends its competition after conscription forces most players into the army.

War doesn't stop and the league simply disappears as humans redirect their time towards surviving rather than entertainment.

More seriously, the AFL is designed to prop up underperforming clubs. So for my club, Essendon, there would need to be some sort of event that stops the league functioning entirely to cause my club to go extinct. This would be true of most clubs, although there are perhaps a few that could be susceptible to relocation.

Apart from being the oldest club in the league and helping to make the rules our club doesn't deserve to exist. Been a ******* joke since 64. Our 2 GF appearances were a joke and then we build for 12 years to finally make finals and we are back to 17th the next year. The MFC literally kill my interest in footy

Yeah, The Footy Gods really took your sacking of Norm Smith to heart didn't they.

I was on some other thread here not that long ago having to remind people that for 50 per cent of the VFL/AFLs existence, Melbourne were THE power club.

Onfield, off field, in terms of sway among the movers and shakers of Melbourne society.

In say 1960, the idea that the Mighty Dees would be a "small" club with significant financial issues that hadn't experienced the ultimate onfield success in over half a century would be mind boggling, like, inconceivable.

It shows how things can turn though, why not that long ago Geelong was struggling on and off field and are now a powerhouse.

It why getting rid of clubs like BF Tiger wants to is a sickening thought for any true footy supporter.

This is just my opinion, but I think expansion by 50% has diluted the talent too much, and the game suffers for it.

On-field it suffers because the difference between guys like Martin, Dangerfield, Bont and Cripps and the fringe players getting games at lower clubs is enormous. If a club is able to get a few A-graders together then that differential becomes even more stark. Just look at the Suns with their seven 10+ goal hidings and 17 consecutive losses this year.

It suffers off the field too. It's all meant to be cyclical but I'm not sure it is, because teams getting one pick every 18 (that may or may not be a bust) makes it very hard for a club to lift itself.

Cut six clubs, send the best players to the other clubs who can cut some list cloggers, have a better talent ratio across the league, have better players come in for injured players, have better skills on displays, have a better game.

Mate, your best young player, and IMO the best new player this year didn't even get drafted.

Every year we see blokes like Michael Gibbons come out of the twos or state leagues and play high standard footy.

There's more than enough talent going round and I well remember the smaller comp that always had clubs stuck to the bottom.

You're just looking for an excuse to brag about how Richmond have fifty billion members, like that somehow means Richmond is an intrinsically better footy club than say, I dunno, North.

Mate, your best young player, and IMO the best new player this year didn't even get drafted.

Every year we see blokes like Michael Gibbons come out of the twos or state leagues and play high standard footy.

There's more than enough talent going round and I well remember the smaller comp that always had clubs stuck to the bottom.

You're just looking for an excuse to brag about how Richmond have fifty billion members, like that somehow means Richmond is an intrinsically better footy club than say, I dunno, North.
Did that feel good?

Where have I mentioned either North or Richmond? You're the only one who mentioned a club folding... and that was mine. I have not mentioned memberships, premierships, crowd sizes, or any other metric that would elevate the Tigers above the Roos. Seriously, this is your small-minded, narrow-viewed, short-sighted North Melbourne victimisation mentality coming to the fore again. I'm not sure North have even been mentioned in this thread but whenever you see something about clubs folding you just jump up and down and start pushing your barrow. You should maybe stick to the North board.

Did that feel good?

Where have I mentioned either North or Richmond? You're the only one who mentioned a club folding... and that was mine. I have not mentioned memberships, premierships, crowd sizes, or any other metric that would elevate the Tigers above the Roos. Seriously, this is your small-minded, narrow-viewed, short-sighted North Melbourne victimisation mentality coming to the fore again. I'm not sure North have even been mentioned in this thread but whenever you see something about clubs folding you just jump up and down and start pushing your barrow. You should maybe stick to the North board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West Coast will likely be there until the bitter end, unless air travel is suddenly prohibited cutting them off from reasonably competing.

But you never know, the club could go through a period of woeful mismanagement and sustained poor on-field.

So why do you want that for any club? Especially given your own faced extinction not that long ago.

I want the money I put in your tins back please.
Because theres too many teams in one city.

Almost every single ill of the afl is as a result of that fact..

For example:

Teams not playing each other home and away each season

Inequitable draw

Grossly Uneven travel burden

Artificially Low salary cap

Football department cap

Melbourne clubs selling home games

Total vic-centricness of a supposed national league.

Because theres too many teams in one city.

Almost every single ill of the afl is as a result of that fact..

For example:

Teams not playing each other home and away each season

Inequitable draw

Grossly Uneven travel burden

Artificially Low salary cap

Football department cap

Melbourne clubs selling home games

Total vic-centricness of a supposed national league.

OK, let's make it fair by cutting a few Melbourne teams and moving Perth closer to the MCG.

In 2057, having won every grand final but 1 since 2027 ( the 1 being a shock loss to the NT thunder for the clubs first flag) the club graciously steps aside and leaves the AFL inorder to allow the competition (which is struggling due to the disinterest in a competition dominated by a single club) to survive.

OK, let's make it fair by cutting a few Melbourne teams and moving Perth closer to the MCG.
No - its a national sport

If you need help with this, look up the meaning of national.

Please dont waste every ones time again with illogical nonsensical non-sequiturs.

Perhaps have an adult review your posts before you hit send.

When will your club become extinct and cease to function?

No VFL/AFL club has ceased to exist.

UniBlacks.jpg

200px-Fitzroy_fc_logo.png

Is there ever a possibility of multiple clubs folding at one time due to financial or external pressures?

No.

Can Melbourne continue to sustain so many clubs?

As long as the AFL want to sustain them.

There is little chance that the AFL will let a market like Sydney die. The only way Sydney go extinct is if the city becomes impossible to live in....and that ain't gonna happen in my lifetime.

Furthermore it's hard to see any more than 4-5 clubs have any chance of folding at AFL level. Only two clubs (three if you count the Bears) once played V/AFL but no longer do so, and the competition has lasted 120 years. I think things are much safer than people think.

Can’t see the Tigers becoming exctinct. In 50 years time we’ll have a team on each continent and quite possibly Mars. With a low gravity ground ball get game plan and all.

If the last 35 years didn't kill them the next 35 years won't. Never understood why tigers and saints fans have so many supporters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back