News Where’s the AFL reduces season to 17 weeks thread?

Remove this Banner Ad

My suggestion was for 18 games so everyone gets 9 home games. Based on the announcements we will get 8 home games, 8 interstate games and a Poort Pear Showdown. Surely the Showdown should be a 50/50 match?

Perhaps it will be a blessing to only have 8 home games :rolleyes:.

List in order of our fixture playing each team once (excluding double ups)

Sydney
Port Power (A)
Brisbane Lions
Richmond (A)
Essendon
St.Kilda (A)
Gold Coast (A)
Fremantle
Melbourne (A)
Carlton
Giants (A)
Bulldogs
Collingwood (A)
West Coast (A)
Hawthorn (A)
North Melbourne
Geelong (A)

By my count its 7 home games and 10 away games. The first 4 rounds will be the same so we wont be playing port in a home showdown or Richmond at Adelaide Oval. Essendon is a home game so that will stay the same, that leaves either Melbourne match in Northern Territory or St.kilda will switch to our home game giving the 8 home, 9 away split, my bet is the match against Melbourne will become our home game at Adelaide Oval.

Last edited:
My suggestion was for 18 games so everyone gets 9 home games. Based on the announcements we will get 8 home games, 8 interstate games and a Poort Pear Showdown. Surely the Showdown should be a 50/50 match?

Is it really a home or away showdown if there is no crowd in the stadium?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

What I don't understand is if Pendlebury is confirmed as infected, they are going to suspend round 1.

Why would 16 teams not still play excluding Collingwood.

If someone on a team becomes infected, then I would have thought that team & any other team they have recently played needs to stop playing for 14 days... but what is stopping the other teams from still playing.

What am I missing?

What I don't understand is if Pendlebury is confirmed as infected, they are going to suspend round 1.

Why would 16 teams not still play excluding Collingwood.

If someone on a team becomes infected, then I would have thought that team & any other team they have recently played needs to stop playing for 14 days... but what is stopping the other teams from still playing.

What am I missing?
He was negative

Does anyone believe that the AFL will be playing in 12 days time?

I feel very confident that the AFL will cancel Round One by tomorrow afternoon. Now they have gone back to a 17 Rounds there is very little point in playing Round One without spectators unless Foxtel are insisting that they throw them a bone.

The rumour that Pendlebury‘s test was negative was fake news.

It has to be 50-50, they can’t get 10 home games and us 8, mind you if there are no crowds it won’t matter

Does anyone believe that the AFL will be playing in 12 days time?

I feel very confident that the AFL will cancel Round One by tomorrow afternoon. Now they have gone back to a 17 Rounds there is very little point in playing Round One without spectators unless Foxtel are insisting that they throw them a bone.

The rumour that Pendlebury‘s test was negative was fake news.
Late May and 17 rounds with no byes still gets them to end of September

That will ease the broadcasters - tomorrow is about getting the gambling company sponsor online - they have taken all this money for Coleman , Brownlow and the 1st round

List in order of our fixture playing each team once (excluding double ups)

Sydney
Port Power (A)
Brisbane Lions
Richmond (A)
Essendon
St.Kilda (A)
Gold Coast (A)
Fremantle
Melbourne (A)
Carlton
Giants (A)
Bulldogs
Collingwood (A)
West Coast (A)
Hawthorn (A)
North Melbourne
Geelong (A)

By my count its 7 home games and 10 away games. The first 4 rounds will be the same so we wont be playing port in a home showdown or Richmond at Adelaide Oval. Essendon is a home game so that will stay the same, that leaves either Melbourne match in Northern Territory or St.kilda will switch to our home game giving the 8 home, 9 away split, my bet is the match against Melbourne will become our home game at Adelaide Oval.
They're creating a new 17 week schedule so that's all going to change.

Hopefully it remains Port home showdown because we'll get 9 or 10 home games

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Late May and 17 rounds with no byes still gets them to end of September

That will ease the broadcasters - tomorrow is about getting the gambling company sponsor online - they have taken all this money for Coleman , Brownlow and the 1st round

Who says it’s all peachy in late may? Chances are the virus is going to go rampant during winter. The AFL are stupid to not get games in while they can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who says it’s all peachy in late may? Chances are the virus is going to go rampant during winter. The AFL are stupid to not get games in while they can.

Not me. Just pointing out that is the latest they can go if they dont play this weekend

If it gets worse the early games won't count for much

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

I have no problem with a single showdown being a Port one - they can wear a zero crowd figure.

If it gets worse the early games won't count for much

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

Agree but they need to bulk up now. Each team plays three matches per fortnight for as long as possible to at least have a shot. My head says there won’t be a 2020 premier.

It's hard to imagine this season going ahead. In democratic parts of Asia they seem to be coming out of the virus in the 3 months between January and now but they seem to have more decisive leadership than us. Three months from now puts us in June. Allow a month or two for poor leadership and a correspondingly extended threat period puts us in July or August.

You can't have a real season around 4-8 rounds. Maybe some exhibition games.

There's a special episode of Talking Footy on at the moment. Can catch up with it on 7plus.com.au**

Their summary of what's being considered...

expected-2020-changes-jpg.840838

Interesting is the bit that as soon as one player tests positive, the season will be paused for 2 weeks, and season could continue well past the normal season end.

Our favourite player manager Connors (not!) says players are keen to play.

(** just need to sign up with an email account if you haven't already)

Last edited:
It's hard to imagine this season going ahead. In democratic parts of Asia they seem to be coming out of the virus in the 3 months between January and now but they seem to have more decisive leadership than us. Three months from now puts us in June. Allow a month or two for poor leadership and a correspondingly extended threat period puts us in July or August.

We'll get bored of these quasi-shutdowns in a while and just barrel ahead

source.gif

Maybe a State of Origin series, Vic v All Stars best of 5 or 7 ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back