Where are our emerging Key position players on our list?

Remove this Banner Ad

greening22

Team Captain
Apr 14, 2008
MELBOURNE
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NEWCASTLE; JUVENTUS;
I have recently been examining the lists od the other 17 AFL clubs & on most of their lists they have at least 2 players on their lists that could be considered as potential key position players who either could play in the back line - as full back or centre half-back - or in the forward line - as full-forward or centre half-forward. I do not see any such younger players say 193 cm or 194 cm or above in height on our list. So why are we in this situation? Is it because we have been too focussed and/trading for mid-fielders and/or medium-sized backs & forwards? We are even well behind Carlton when it comes to those types of players on our current list. What can the club can do about this? I would think that a change in recruiting strategy is needed urgently.

3 Cat B Rookies in:

Tohill
Keane
Wilson'

and then just Will Kelly
Yeah, we've seemingly focused on recruiting our talls outside the traditional means recently. Interesting strategy.

Yeah, we've seemingly focused on recruiting our talls outside the traditional means recently. Interesting strategy.

and Risky One as they are long shots of Making it.

Having not many 1st Rounders does make it hard to draft Good Tall Prospects

Kelly only.

Wilson and Murphy maybe third tall/flankers at this stage, unless we get very lucky, which let’s face it, we’re not known for.

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
No 3peat (Ninth)mond Minnows
Developing spine

Keane
Kelly
Lynch
Wilson
Tohill

Keane and Lynch doing the best at the minute

Kelly only.

Wilson and Murphy maybe third tall/flankers at this stage, unless we get very lucky, which let’s face it, we’re not known for.

Kelly is like Wilson be more of a Flanker with there Frames

I disagree. Kelly is big, plays big, and has time to grow. Wilson will probably play on a flank and move into midfield eventually.

Apr 13, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham
He might have a small frame in his first AFL year but he is a key position player. He is 194cm, which is around Ben Reid's height. I know we're a bit spoiled with 2 200cm defenders in Moore and Roughead but they are not the norm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
I have recently been examining the lists od the other 17 AFL clubs & on most of their lists they have at least 2 players on their lists that could be considered as potential key position players who either could play in the back line - as full back or centre half-back - or in the forward line - as full-forward or centre half-forward. I do not see any such younger players say 193 cm or 194 cm or above in height on our list. So why are we in this situation? Is it because we have been too focussed and/trading for mid-fielders and/or medium-sized backs & forwards? We are even well behind Carlton when it comes to those types of players on our current list. What can the club can do about this? I would think that a change in recruiting strategy is needed urgently.
You need to look more closely at our list

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
Kelly only.

They have been playing Wilson at centre half forward in the VFL. At 194cm he has the height. He doesn't look lightly framed either. I think the club projects him as a key forward. While Wilson has been out of the game for a bit he has a good junior footy pedigree also so I reckon the quality is there. He's the VFL guy whose development i'm most excited about.

We have nothing in terms of a key player,
Our last KP would have been Moore
But now its just slow mids that have a famous surname.

Sea fog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 24, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
As mentioned by others, if we do get early picks, we use them on smaller players which some other clubs too. Kelly will get bigger and should be a genuine KPP.

Ironically Moore as recruited as a forward but ends up being inferior in that position to someone like Checkers who we found as a rough diamond.

Go Woods

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Lo
As mentioned by others, if we do get early picks, we use them on smaller players which some other clubs too. Kelly will get bigger and should be a genuine KPP.

Ironically Moore as recruited as a forward but ends up being inferior in that position to someone like Checkers who we found as a rough diamond.
Long term I believe Moore will go forward again, once Kelly breaks into the side with Keane (if he makes it) becoming our two tall key backs.Hopefully our draft strategy going forward is to focus on tall key position talent and speedy small forward types, indigenous players please!

Lo

Long term I believe Moore will go forward again, once Kelly breaks into the side with Keane (if he makes it) becoming our two tall key backs.Hopefully our draft strategy going forward is to focus on tall key position talent and speedy small forward types indigenous players please!

and Clearance Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back