List Mgmt. Where are our kids at?

Remove this Banner Ad

You'll get no arguments from me on the boys club, I don't think we're going anywhere meaningful until someone says enough and starts holding these guys accountable. The problem starts at the top with Nisbett, he has to go and only then will we start seeing the necessary changes.

However I have to disagree on Sheed. He isn't anywhere near as prone to getting caught HTB you make him sound, he only averages 0.5 frees against a game, and I don't think majority of those would be HTB. Personally I find his ability to stand up in a tackle and get his arms free as a strength of his, and I think he will only improve in that area as time goes on as he hasn't been able to build and maintain as much muscle as he could've if not for shoulder and chest injuries the last couple of years. 60% of his disposals are kicks so I'm not sure how you think he's too slow to move away from stoppages to use his footskills? Despite the high kick to handball ratio, he still has a disposal efficiency of 71% which is relatively good. Stats will tell you he's predominantly outside at the moment but you also have to consider he hasn't been given as much on ball time as he should've because of Priddis' lack of flexibility to play anywhere else and Mitchell's inclusion this year, so Sheed has been forced to spend more time in the forwardline or on the outside of contests. He still managed 40% contested possessions, and that will only increase next year.

Fair enough you seem to have seen more of Sheed than I gave you credit for, but I think your assessment of his trajectory is way off the mark. Between round 8 and 20 he averaged 25 disposals, 10 contested possessions, 4 clearances and just under a goal a game. Those are great numbers for a guy playing his 3rd full year as 4th or 5th fiddle in the midfield. Not sure what else you can expect? If he can get similar output to that over a full year then he will be a weapon for us.
Judging someone purely on CP isn't the best appraisal of a player though.

I agree somewhat with Mincho's analysis of Sheed esp with regard to his lack of impact when under pressure.

But there's still every chance he can improve despite not being that quick, and I don't think the 2013 draft was so good as to have a massive sad about it.

P Cripps would have been amazing but that's about it

Sheed just needs to work on his deficiencies - hopefully he doesn't think it's just a matter of time until it all clicks for him (or worse, think like people here do: that it'll magically click now that Priddis is out of the side).

Surely freeing of the arms better and knowing when to take on the tackler is something that can be learned.

He's a footballer. Natural smarts. Ok legspeed - makes good decisions.

Sheed is a one trick pony who, no legspeed and platued in his 18's year. One of the dumbest recruiting decisions I've seen.
You are wrong about Sheed, does shows some elite attributes. Likes of sam Mitchell, Scott Pendlebury, Jimmy Bartel ect never had leg speed but what makes them grade A players is they never panic with ball in hand. If you notice when Sheed plays he won't just handball release as soon as an opponent is near, he will always raise his arms so the opponent can't pin his arms, he will then handball to what best suits WC, whether that's to space or to a team mate. This is a great attribute to have. Don't get me wrong he needs to improve in some areas but he will be a star for us

Last edited:

You are wrong about Sheed, does shows some elite attributes. Likes of sam Mitchell, Scott Pendlebury, Jimmy Bartel ect never had leg speed but what makes them grade A players is they never panic with ball in hand. If you notice when Sheed plays he won't just handball release as soon as an opponent is near, he will always raise his arms so the opponent can't pin his arms, he will then handball to what best suits WC, whether that's to space or to a team mate. This is a great attribute to have. Don't get me wrong he needs to improve in some areas but he will be a star for us

Sheed does not get his arms free in tackles, his handballing is not a strength, and he gets caught alot in heavy traffic.

Imo the last two drafts aren’t that bad.

Venables, Waterman, Rioli and Watson were injured for large parts of the year. Rotham had no chance of playing in 2017. Venables and Rioli can be very good players and Rotham slid and imo will be a damaging and exciting player. If the development team just give him an attacking role, not thie defensive role they trialed in his first season.

Partington and Cole will be ok, Allen has talent but has been injured. Mutimer isn’t the worst late selection WC have ever made there’s a chance he could make it. There is no top end talent in this group, but what else could WC have done. Our draft hand was weak but I think the team did ok.

Since 2015 the club has been in flag mode. Selecting older and more proven players ahead of young guys. The departures of Priddis Mitchell Butler Wellingham and Hill will open the door for draftees to play in their natural position. Time to role the dice to see if we have anything good from the 15 and 16 drafts.

Sheed will be easily better than Neale

lol_vladimir_putin.gif

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-31_19-20-52.png
    upload_2017-10-31_19-20-52.png
    38.3 KB · Views: 4

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Judging someone purely on CP isn't the best appraisal of a player though.

I agree somewhat with Mincho's analysis of Sheed esp with regard to his lack of impact when under pressure.

But there's still every chance he can improve despite not being that quick, and I don't think the 2013 draft was so good as to have a massive sad about it.

P Cripps would have been amazing but that's about it

Sheed just needs to work on his deficiencies - hopefully he doesn't think it's just a matter of time until it all clicks for him (or worse, think like people here do: that it'll magically click now that Priddis is out of the side).

Surely freeing of the arms better and knowing when to take on the tackler is something that can be learned.

Mincho (Pav) is a very smart dude but has his favourites and his least favourites. Sheed's been his firing line for years, across 3-4 different accounts.

He is obviously very knowledgable but doesn't get every call right - I think he is wrong on Sheed being an uber spud (which is how he describes him). One of the dumbest recruiting decisions he's ever seen? Please. Griffin Logue.

Sheed isn't an uber spud - he's just going to be a good footballer, nothing more - not a player you build an engine around.

Just the opinion of one man.

Sheed isn't an uber spud - he's just going to be a good footballer, nothing more - not a player you build an engine around.

Just the opinion of one man.

Fair enough, not an unreasonable view. That's a milder version of the opinion you appeared to project earlier in this thread but if that is your stance then I can respect it.

Unsure if you need to build an engine around one player...perhaps the last 2 premiers are an anomaly.. I don't know, but they weren't reliant on one player..(cue outrage re Dusty).....Tigers and Bulldogs had team first/ play for each other ethic. Intent and courage.
Muncho, you are right. Sheed will be a good player. No Fyfejam. Team 1st.

Put it this way - I don't see Sheed every reaching the echelons of a Martin/Bontempelli/Mitchell etc.

He'll be a good player, not a great player, think all premiership sides have a "star" that takes games by the scruff of the neck, when it counts.

Put it this way - I don't see Sheed every reaching the echelons of a Martin/Bontempelli/Mitchell etc.

He'll be a good player, not a great player, think all premiership sides have a "star" that takes games by the scruff of the neck, when it counts.
You don’t need to be at that level to be a big time player in a premiership. See: Embley, Pickett, Johannisen etc.

Sheed is a very solid player who has performed well when given extended time on ball. I expect his improvement to continue now Priddis has retired.

That's setting a very high bar though, especially considering he wasn't a top ten pick.

I'd be interested in your view on Oscar Allen re: midfield?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back