List Mgmt. Where are our kids at?

Currently i see Venables and Cole as the best young talent we have prior to this draft.

Never rated the Partington pick. Have always thought his projectory as an AFL footballer is very low as he's not blessed with any particular attribute and his disposals have minimal hurt factor. Still want him to continue being played and developed though, i like the character of the kid.

Mincho isn't entirely wrong with Sheed. Isn't going to be a crap player, but he's not a world beater. Spud is going too far though.

Not holding my breath on Rotham. Mutimer and Karpany, meh.

Apr 8, 2016
Vietnam
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
I doubt Karpany will make it. Has some nice attributes and moments of silk but simply doesn't get enough of it at any level and he has been on our list a long time. It is a shame. I know it's not going to happen but I wonder if he could play as a defender (not that we need any more of those) but it would get him into the game more. Anyway, this will be the make or break year for him. Hope he makes it but not sure he will.

Currently i see Venables and Cole as the best young talent we have prior to this draft.

Never rated the Partington pick. Have always thought his projectory as an AFL footballer is very low as he's not blessed with any particular attribute and his disposals have minimal hurt factor. Still want him to continue being played and developed though, i like the character of the kid.

Mincho isn't entirely wrong with Sheed. Isn't going to be a crap player, but he's not a world beater. Spud is going too far though.

Not holding my breath on Rotham. Mutimer and Karpany, meh.
Agree with basically all of this. What are your thoughts on Watson? Sadly, still strikes me as a bit of a long shot.

Agree with basically all of this. What are your thoughts on Watson? Sadly, still strikes me as a bit of a long shot.
Good young player, showed some signs even at 'AFL level' in that nab challenge game.

Haven't forgotten his first 4 weeks in the WAFL yielded an average of 26 touches and 5 tackles a game either.

Rookies are allowed to play from round 1 next season right? So you'd think he's surely going to feature at some point in 2018 which should show us more.

Free hit that pick anyway, naturally people have low expectations when it comes to CAT B rookies and the likelihood of them making it. I'm certainly not going to be expecting Watson would ever play more than 10 AFL games with our development of young players and hit rate with speculative picks.

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
He's a footballer. Natural smarts. Ok legspeed - makes good decisions.

Sheed is a one trick pony who, no legspeed and platued in his 18's year. One of the dumbest recruiting decisions I've seen.

Sure, its not as smart as passing on Andrew McLeod or trading Peter Bell to the Roos and then buying him back after he wins a premiership, but not every club can excel at absolute *ery like Freo can... ;)

Fatty rules

Team Captain
Feb 16, 2008
Brussels
AFL Club
West Coast
Good young player, showed some signs even at 'AFL level' in that nab challenge game.

Haven't forgotten his first 4 weeks in the WAFL yielded an average of 26 touches and 5 tackles a game either.

Rookies are allowed to play from round 1 next season right? So you'd think he's surely going to feature at some point in 2018 which should show us more.

Free hit that pick anyway, naturally people have low expectations when it comes to CAT B rookies and the likelihood of them making it. I'm certainly not going to be expecting Watson would ever play more than 10 AFL games with our development of young players and hit rate with speculative picks.

I suspect there might be quite a few strings to Watson's bow. I'm looking forward (in hope) to seeing more of him, and seeing him develop into the player that he could become.

Dec 19, 2007
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
soccer rugby union and le
I suspect there might be quite a few strings to Watson's bow. I'm looking forward (in hope) to seeing more of him, and seeing him develop into the player that he could become.
I think Watson is a gun.Reads the play well,makes good decisions,has a left and right,tackles ferociously and when getting to a contest is usually in position "A".Pity he got injured when he did.Sheed is a very handy footballer,great decision maker / kick,got some nice candy which is becoming increasingly important as the game gets tighter in close.My biggest knock on him is that when the team comes under pressure he doesnt lift.He needs to now step up and show leadership and fight as per priddis but with more weapons.I really dont rate Partington that highly.Hope im wrong.
Rioli with another preseason under his belt and minus a few more kilos will hopefully "arrive".
Mutimer showed a bit; but as per usual was booted back to WAFL as the Eagles continued their dream of GF glory in 2017
Karpany as per Mutimer.

Apr 1, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
You don’t need to be at that level to be a big time player in a premiership. See: Embley, Pickett, Johannisen etc.

Sheed is a very solid player who has performed well when given extended time on ball. I expect his improvement to continue now Priddis has retired.
I'd argue Sheed has gone past the likes of Martin and Bontempelli

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
and another question is how good would Sheed be now if he didn't kick that kick, or came off-ground like he and Ryan were meant to and wasn't in the last passage of play?
how would we now rate him?- a solid end to a patchy year?
Just putting it into perspective, not dumping on him...

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Same sentiment as Astroboy above, Sam Mitchell played in 2017, coached 2018, gone home to the Hawks for 2019 (good one Clarko !! ).

Both Sheed & Yeo have spoken on the record as to his influence. Partington & Karpany delisted, any other winners or losers.
We'll miss you Sam.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2009
In your dreams
AFL Club
West Coast
well he performs better in finals

That's not true either.

Let's see how it pans out.

giphy.gif

LittleGreekGod

Club Legend
Dec 24, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
and another question is how good would Sheed be now if he didn't kick that kick, or came off-ground like he and Ryan were meant to and wasn't in the last passage of play?
"Carpe diem"is the Latin translation for Seize the Moment.
Careers can be made or broken in a single second. and that second can create a legend.
Dom Sheed you're a Legend.

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
"Carpe diem"is the Latin translation for Seize the Moment.
Careers can be made or broken in a single second. and that second can create a legend.
Dom Sheed you're a Legend.
Or more often used as 'seize the day' (or the moment or the opportunity)
Yes, of course he's a legend now..kind of reinforcing what we already know.

But what if...he didn't? How would you have rated his season, let alone his GF match
without that kick...still pretty good?
Or would he be another player whom we would be hoping, finally hits his straps and has a breakout year?
Also because of that lucky break, that excellent kick and instant fame, it sort of fast-tracked him in a way?
He now has a lot of pressure to be consistently good..to be Dom Sheed!
(before he arrived there organically without the spotlight- like a Redden or Yeo?)
This is not criticism btw...

Apr 10, 2011
south of the river
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham, 49ers & Scorchers
Subscribing - some absolute classic calls.

The real question is “ did Micho die inside when Sheed kicked that goal?”

I'd rather Sheed have a set shot in a grand final than Fyfe.....

KERRPOW

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 28, 2008
in a town near you
AFL Club
West Coast

Sheed H&A = Poor to Average

Sheed Finals = Excellent

Finals Form 》》》》H&A Form

Everyone remembers Grand Final heroes and failures, defining moments in a GF.

'05 Leo Barrys match winning mark, that should have been a sampi free kick.

'06 Chicks smother, HuntAA goal

'15 Darling dropped mark

'18 gov to vardy to ryan to sheed resulting in march winning goal. And comically darlings dropped sitter.

Back