Remove this Banner Ad

Coaster2012

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers
I find the hardest team to predict in 2019 is the Bulldogs. Here is a team that played an amazing month of footy in 2016 and then fell off a cliff. Their youth was outstanding. It's obvious now that they jumped the gun a little bit, but with some more experience into their youth, are they capable of producing that month for a full season? Or is the dream over? Do they need to inject some more maturity? What are your predictions for the Dogs in 2019?

I personally have no idea. They could finish bottom 4 or finish top 4.

Last edited:
I find the hardest team to predict in 2019 is the Bulldogs. Here is a team that played an amazing month of footy in 2017 and then fell off a cliff. Their youth was outstanding. It's obvious now that they jumped the gun a little bit, but with some more experience into their youth, are they capable of producing that month for a full season? Or is the dream over? Do they need to inject some more maturity? What are your predictions for the Dogs in 2019.

I personally have no idea. They could finish bottom 4 or finish top 4.
What do you mean 'was'?

Have some very good young talls like Naughton and English. When they bring their full bore pressure and quick passing game, they are very very hard to stop.

Macrae is an utter gun, so is Bontempelli. Probably cleaned out the right types in Dahlhous and Stringer.

Reckon they can make the finals next year, especially with an "easier" draw.

When a bloke playing in his first season off the rookie list wins the clubs goal kicking with 26 goals you know there is improvement needed in the forward half of the ground. If the Dogs can get 30+ goals out of Schache (kicked 17 from 13 games this season) and share the load around with Gowers, Picken, Boyd etc they will push for finals. 9th-12th is where I have them finishing next season with an expectation for finals in 2020.

Realistically, it’s a combination of things.

After we won, people expected our returning players (Murphy etc) to help top up any drop off in desire/motivation - but we had further injuries and a few guys just never got back to that output (Biggs, Dahlhaus, Clay Smith etc). A few are still partying....

We have invested heavily in a few KPP types recently (Boyd, English, Naughton, Schache) - so our midfield rotations and speed is a bit lower than it was.

Our forward pressure dropped off, the changes to the ruck rules favoured those with a dominant ruck - we relied on using a third man up periodically. We weren’t hunting as we had been, the situation with Stringer was disruptive.

Having said all that, something like 18 of the 22 youngest average ages sides last year were ours. We didn’t finish last while doing so (last time it was like this was GWS/GCS startups). We lost three games (North, Richmond and Swans) on the last kick. Our top 10 in the B&F was really young kids.

So - if they develop at a good rate, we’ll be ok. If they all have 2nd year blues - it’ll be a long season....

People get way too caught up in the hype of big name recruits that they forget a young group improving can go a lot further than the addition of any single player.

In 2014, we lost Higgins, Cooney, Griffen and Jones, sacked our coach Brendan McCartney before making a ridiculous offer for Boyd. Everyone in the media were harping on about how disgraceful we were, and tipping us for the spoon the next year. Sure enough, we bounce right up to 6th in 2015.

We have one of the best young lists in the league at the present. We'll be fine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just an average side. Always were. Had a decent season to finish 7th then put in a stunning performance in finals to sweep all before them. Then reverted to type.

Their 2016 finals is deadset the stuff of legends.
If we're just average, I'd hate to think what that makes a team that hasn't won a final for 15 years...

People get way too caught up in the hype of big name recruits that they forget a young group improving can go a lot further than the addition of any single player.

We have one of the best young lists in the league at the present. We'll be fine.
I agree, so why throw the kitchen sink at Tom Boyd, who has off-field issues? Higgins is the only let go that has gone on to be a success. And his talents were pretty obvious from the beginning. I don't think its the playing list, its the coaching staff. Beveridge won a flag so now everyone is watching him, or were.

I agree, so why throw the kitchen sink at Tom Boyd, who has off-field issues? Higgins is the only let go that has gone on to be a success. And his talents were pretty obvious from the beginning. I don't think its the playing list, its the coaching staff. Beveridge won a flag so now everyone is watching him, or were.

Need to go back a bit in time to answer the Boyd question, but I think he paid his dues when needed....

Why scrutinize a decision from 4 years ago?

At the end of the day, our list is in very good shape going forward right now. Even if we've failed to bring in a big name player, we've still drafted well.

Realistically, it’s a combination of things.

After we won, people expected our returning players (Murphy etc) to help top up any drop off in desire/motivation - but we had further injuries and a few guys just never got back to that output (Biggs, Dahlhaus, Clay Smith etc). A few are still partying....

We have invested heavily in a few KPP types recently (Boyd, English, Naughton, Schache) - so our midfield rotations and speed is a bit lower than it was.

Our forward pressure dropped off, the changes to the ruck rules favoured those with a dominant ruck - we relied on using a third man up periodically. We weren’t hunting as we had been, the situation with Stringer was disruptive.

Having said all that, something like 18 of the 22 youngest average ages sides last year were ours. We didn’t finish last while doing so (last time it was like this was GWS/GCS startups). We lost three games (North, Richmond and Swans) on the last kick. Our top 10 in the B&F was really young kids.

So - if they develop at a good rate, we’ll be ok. If they all have 2nd year blues - it’ll be a long season....
I think your expectations of English are a bit of a worry. He's 21 next year and in his second year. Physically he still looks spindly, although you'd imagine every off season will help big time.

No doubt he's a great prospect, whether he's the best young ruck prospect inthe comp is arguable but you could certainly make a credible case. It's rare for a ruck of that age and experience to be ready though, it's different to other positions.

Grundy was an exception but he's a different physical type and possibly a freak of nature ( in a good way).

You think English will become the regular number one ruck next season against the odds?

I think your expectations of English are a bit of a worry. He's 21 next year and in his second year. Physically he still looks spindly, although you'd imagine every off season will help big time.

No doubt he's a great prospect, whether he's the best young ruck prospect inthe comp is arguable but you could certainly make a credible case. It's rare for a ruck of that age and experience to be ready though, it's different to other positions.

Grundy was an exception but he's a different physical type and possibly a freak of nature ( in a good way).

You think English will become the regular number one ruck next season against the odds?
He certainly doesn't lack ability. He lack's size, but that can be worked on.

Potentially, by default.

Boyd's battling injury and Sam Power has earmarked Trengove for more time in defence (which most of our board disagrees with. He was a mediocre defender and decent ruck in 2018).
Campbell look likely to be delisted as Bevo just won't play him and Roughy's gone to Collingwood. There's nobody else and list spots are tight.

If we're just average, I'd hate to think what that makes a team that hasn't won a final for 15 years...

Something your club hasn't been able to do, since they're no longer able to buy player's and dope them up.

The responses you get used to when nobody can argue your point.

The Dogs are an average squad who produced a brilliant month of footy in September 2016.

They've dropped a fair bit of talent since then too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back