Where Are They Now? A roll call of Roys people

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Where Are They Now?

Scott Bamford - Still playing for North Adelaide should bring up his 150th game this year. Has a lawn mowing business for a day job.

Matthew Manfield - Beat cancer (not sure which year) now finished in the SANFL and going to play in the country for South Clare in SA.

Danny Morton - Last I heard of him was in the the late 90's when he finished his SANFL days with Norwood.

Hope this helps a little.

I'm suprised no one has mentioned Gavin Excell.

He played with Rochester in the GVFL from 1994 to 1997 (I think). He was flying in 1997 and hurt his knee in one of that last games of the yeat. At that stage, Rochester were on top of the ladder, and his injury made his miss the finals and started a spate of other injuries.

After that, he left to coach Stanhope in the Kyabram Football League, where he regularly kicked 100+ goals.

From http://www.fitzroyfc.com.au/article_D2-reds.htm:

'In country football, former Geelong forward Gavin Excell kicked 14 goals as Stanhope defeated Nagambie by 121 points in their Kyabram District league match at Nagambie. Excell, 40 has retruned to Stanhope which he led to the Premiership in 2000.' - Paul Daffey, The Age, Monday 7th April 2003

Not sure if he played last year or this year.

My late brother-in-law coached Rochy in the early 90's I think, either then or the late 80's? He was an ex-Geelong boy from the 60's though.

Anyone know where Rowan Warfe got to after being delisted by the Swannies at the end of '04?

Chronic injuries caught up with him and ended his AFL career but maybe he's plugging away somewhere suburban or bush? A bloody nice bloke.

John [smiley] Barker is still with the hawks and he is awesome [it is sad fitzroy merged i reckon it should not have happened , i miss seeing the old colours running around] i know they have kept the lions name but it is not the same sorry .

you guys are great keeping the memory alive thank you

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Johnny Barker has been named on the St Kilda coaching panel, joining Rossy Lyon (as player) and Gehrig (Fitzroy supporter as a kid & nephew of Roscoe Thornton) in keeping the Roy flame flickering brightly at Moorabbin.

Gary Pert was recently appointed general Manager of Channel 9.

Paul Tilley was recently sentenced to 18 months (12 months of which are suspended) in gaol for assaulting an opponent during a Reserves game for Broadford against North Bendigo in 2004.
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,20606077-2862,00.html
http://bendigo.yourguide.com.au/det...ry_id=415119&category=General+News&m=8&y=2005

Tilley has gone downhill what was he doing playing 2s footy for Bradford

I'll add Brent Frewen to the list; still going with the Eagles in the SANFL as far as I know; has had a lot of injuries and could only manage 3 games this year. All up, he has played 109 games and kicked 16 goals since 1998.

There is one Fitzroy player who wasn't on the list - Jim Wynd.

I have never been able to work out why Fitzroy delisted him at the end of 1994 (he had not missed a game in 4 years, and was very talented), and why no other club picked him up in the draft.

I'll add Brent Frewen to the list; still going with the Eagles in the SANFL as far as I know; has had a lot of injuries and could only manage 3 games this year. All up, he has played 109 games and kicked 16 goals since 1998.

Following up from this, he has retired, citing injuries (he had far more than his fair share) and time constraints.

Scott Bamford is still going with North, though.

Another Fitzroy player who was left off the list is Darren Holmes.

If there was an award for the unluckiest player ever, Holmes would be right up there. Making his debut for Sydney in 1991, he played in the Swans' three wooden spoon sides in 1992, 1993 & 1994, before crossing to Fitzroy to play in their wooden spoon teams in 1995 & 1996.

I think playing in five successive wooden spoon teams would have to be some sort of record, unless it was achieved by any St Kilda or University players in the early years of the competition.

Holmes famous / infamous acts: catching the plugger pig at the SCG whilst with the Swans, collecting the most amount of handballs by any AFL player in a game in 1996 (from memory).

Last time I saw him he was with VicPol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back