Where Are They Now? A roll call of Roys people

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Where Are They Now?

Herald Sun has Rombo playing VAFA.

Correct. He left Kangaroo Flat and let's face it, they were ordinary last season to say the least. Marty Warry also gone from there, not sure where to, however, Rohan Warfe is back at his old club to give something back.

Brett Cook is also captain/coach of Kyneton in the BFL.

Some of the WA connection whereabouts.

Joe Cormack
David O'Connell
Joe Cormack
Jeremy Guard

Years back when the Roys played in Perth, went back to the changerooms got a signed Roosy jumper for our club to auction, and then back to Ian Macca's Brisbane Hotel for an after match function. When it was completed off nightclubbing, gave Joey Cormack & Eddie Abbott a lift, and had to drop the "Doc" back at the club hotel; because he didn't have any money to go out:D

Fitzroy Reds are playing against Peninsula Old Boys at Brunswick St this Saturday 19 April 2008. I wonder whether Rombotis will play in that match.

Fitzroy Reds are playing against Peninsula Old Boys at Brunswick St this Saturday 19 April 2008. I wonder whether Rombotis will play in that match.
Rombotis did play for Peninsula against the Reds. He was solid, rather than spectacular. It looked like he needs to do a bit more running to get his fitness level up. The Reds won by 16 points.

Bernie Harris. Future local councilman.

http://warrnambool.yourguide.com.au/news/local/news/general/harris-eyes-new-goals/1340926.aspx

Harris eyes new goals
BY ALEX JOHNSON

23/10/2008 1:00:00 AM

WORKING as part of a team comes naturally for former AFL footballer Bernie Harris.

The dairy farmer from The Sisters believes this attribute could help him serve ratepayers if elected to Moyne Shire Council next month.

With council candidate nominations opening today, Mr Harris has become the 16th shire resident to confirm his plan to stand for election.

Others have until midday on Tuesday to lodge their bid.

Confirmation the 46-year-old father of three daughters will vie for one of seven council seats follows mounting speculation over his plans.

The avid golfer and cricketer, who played 107 VFL/AFL games with the Fitzroy Lions, Brisbane Bears and St Kilda between 1984 and 1990, has vowed to strengthen the council's ties with sporting clubs.

Away from the sporting field, Mr Harris has backed calls to lobby for an end to the council's afternoon meetings.

"Being a dairy farmer, you can probably go to meetings during the day, (but) I'm thinking of all the normal people working nine-to-five. What hope have they got?"

Evening meetings could also help attract younger people to the council, he said.

While he is a supporter of renewable energy, Mr Harris recently voiced opposition to a planned wind farm near his property and only metres from the local hall.

"You just can't dump them in the middle of communities," he said.

He cited fellow candidate James Purcell's pledge this week to cut costs by $2 million and slash rates for owner-occupier householders.

Mr Harris felt any surplus should be directed towards the shire's ageing population who he said were the most in need.

Securing more funding for the shire's "shocking" roads and footpaths was another priority.

And the once formidable rover, who in 1991 led the Hampden interleague team to a division one victory, gave a final crunching bump.

"You can stick it into the Greens," he said, in reference to the political allegiance flagged by fellow candidate Gillian Blair, of Panmure.

"There's no place whatsoever for politics in local government."

389545.jpg

Roll Call

I'm constantly seeing in media reports the presence of old Royboys still involved within AFL clubs in a recognised capacity. Could I ask for a current roll call of former Roys players still in the mix. Of the top of my head we have:

- Paul Roos: Sydney (soon to be ex) Coach
- Matthew Primus: Port Adelaide Coach
- Ross Lyon: St Kilda Coach
- Gary Pert: Collingwood's second-in-charge
- Michael Nettlefold: St Kilda's ?
- Ken Hinkley: Gold Coast Assistant Coach

Any others?

Re: Roll Call

Scott Clayton - Recruiting Guru Gold Coast
John Blakey - Asst coach Sydney
Allan McConnell - Assistant GWS(??)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carl Dilena is a Board Member at North Melbourne.
Graeme Allan is Head of Football Department at GWS.
David Noble is List Manager for the Adelaide Crows. Matt Rendell is their National Recruiting Manager.
Danny Sexton is Assistant Coach at St Kilda.
Brad Gotch is coach of Casey (linked to Melbourne)
Simon Atkins recently stepped down from coaching Werribee, where he had coached players, such as Michael Barlow & James Podsiadly, who both broke into AFL ranks in 2010.
Kelly O'Donnell is Development Coach at Melbourne.

I think Alan Thompson is still Chairman of the Geelong Falcons, in the Under 18 competition, where he played a role in mentoring players, such as Gary Ablett Jnr, Luke Hodge & Jmmy Bartel.

That's an impressive compilation for a club that has not actively participated in on-field action within the AFL competition for fourteen years.

Laurie Serafini (my favourite player as a kid, along with Bob Beecroft) is a Director at Brisbane.

Laurie Serafini (my favourite player as a kid, along with Bob Beecroft) is a Director at Brisbane.

I thought Lorenzo was so distraught about what happened to Fitzroy in 1996 that he left the country never to return. I think Noel Gordon stole his identity and is masquerading as a BFC Director.:cool:

Bob Beecroft = Legend!

Executive Manager at Slade and was the man who appointed Lethal to the Lions.

Johnny Rombotis doing ads for his real estate business on SEN a lot.

Is Renato Serafini still Sports Master at Xavier? If so, probably ducking eggs and flares during the week!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back