Where Are They Now? A roll call of Roys people

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Roll Call

I forgot about Dags.

I went to a mates 40th in Warrnambool many moons ago and Dags was there drinking beer straight from the long neck and generally keeping us entertained. A very funny man, if my beer hazed memory is serving me correctly.

What about some of those other great (and not so great) Fitzroy players from the Western Districts?
Lee Murnane?
Neville Taylor?
Gary Keane?
John Rantall?
Others?

I used to deal with Nifty Neville Taylor a little bit through work in the building industry. Not sure if he's with the same company (a supplier but I'm not mentioning the brand) but as I'm with a different company we are not dealing with them anymore.

I would always rib him about that final he lost us against Collingwood! :eek:

Not the 1981 semi when we lost by a point :eek:

I've always blamed David McMahon. I was at the game and remember a crucial passage of play in the last quarter after we had hit the front and we had the opportunity to go a goal and a bit up, maybe even two, with not a lot of time on the clock, but McMahon turned it over and the rest was history. Perhaps my memory is playing tricks?

Getting things back on thread, Macca used to have a sports store in Burgundy st. Heidelberg in his playing days. What's he up to now? Still in Retail? Any word on him? He'd have to be getting close to 60 year old. Retired to the Mornington Peninsula?

Re Macca - I found this funny.

http://dgesfootytalk.wordpress.com/2009/05/09/bad-footy-cards-episode-4/

Edit: Just watched highlights of the last 5 or so minutes of the game in question on youtube and could find no Macca turn over evidence, although the more I think of it the more certain I am becoming. Did see Terry O'Neill streaming out of defence, having a bounce and then kicking it to a Collingwood opponent standing at centre half back. The same from the normally reliable Chris Smith moments later.

I have to stop. I can feel wounds that I had though healed by the passage of 29 years starting to fester and re-open. Beaten by Collingwood by a miserable point when we had the game in our keeping. The horror...the horror.

Edit upon Edit: Cheered myself up with these - more bad footycard pics. Scroll down for Ian Miller and Barry Padley, very funny.

http://dgesfootytalk.wordpress.com/2009/05/14/696/

Macca used to have a sports store in Burgundy st. Heidelberg in his playing days. What's he up to now? Still in Retail? Any word on him? He'd have to be getting close to 60 year old. Retired to the Mornington Peninsula?

David McMahon used to own a menswear store on Burgundy Rd in the good old days......always looked pretty swish off field.

As late as 2007 he owned Hume Highway Timber and may still do.

Re: Where Are They Now?

Anyone know what happened to Peter Bird -15 games for the Roys, 1995-96?
Small but super fast.

played 7 or 8 years at Supbiaco, then 2 or 3 at Peel. Then went and played bush footy at Collie. I believe he is now playing Sunday league footy in Scarborough Beach or somewhere out that way. Simon Hawking was at Brisbane, then asked for a trade to Sydney. Was injured all year, then retired. Sat out the 99 season then got talked into a preaseason with the Pies and was drafted for the 2000 season. Had back related hamstring issues his whole career and couldnt stay on the park at Collingwood.

Hope that helps.

I understand Keith Thomas is the new Port Adelaide CEO. The old Roys continue to hang around.

For those who manage to read this message in the next few minutes Bernie Quinlan is set to be on the Marngrook Footy Show tonight.

Trent Cummings is now working at ANZ in Docklands....

Still not a happy camper about how things panned out for him!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Micky Conlan coached Uni Blues, then was posted o/s with Nike.

http://www.uniblues.com/blue-bloods...bolt-from-the-blues-micky-c-comes-to-uni.html

Top of the bill was a match up between Conlan and the club’s resident strongman, Andrew “Rowdy” Larkin. The pair relented to calls from the excited throng and contested the bout naked from the waist up. The match up did not disappoint, Larkin prevailing after an epic struggle.

Anyone know the whereabouts of Billy Lokan? Used to be my teacher at Skevs, often would bring the likes of Osborne, Roos & Pert to classes.

I think the current coaching prowess of former Royboys requires a salute. The consensus would be that Ross Lyon and Ken Hinkley have been the best performed senior AFL coaches of 2013. I appreciate Ken made his mark moreso at Geelong, however, he did begin his career in the Den. And of course the services of P.Roos has been hottest in demand throughout the year. Let's hope he can succeed at Melbourne.

Brad Davis is lining up for Penguin in the NTFL next year...making his comeback to footy at the sprightly age of 39. He played in a number of flags with Burnie.

I think Brad came to the Past Players this year and boy, he's a big fit looking unit! Couldn't see why he wouldn't still be running around. There is a thought at SEN that anyone who played for Fitzroy has drunk from the fountain of youth though.

He worked at the AFL for a few years- for memory around the mid 2000s.

Think he went back to Nike, after working at the AFL. Not sure what he's up to now.
Micky Conlan is the CEO of AFLQ currently making the big calls on the restructure of footy up this way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back