Where are they now (delistings / retirements since 2005)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the Yanks measure kicks in Yards not Feet.

Wouldn't think Angus is a long kick... but then again competing against Americans they measure in feet we actually measure in metres so therefore he might be a chance.?

Twas a very good clubman though especially at Box Hill. Congrats on his two premierships. As I said good clubman happy to see those guys get success elsewhere.
punting is as much about height as it is about distance

All Hawthorn mids could get a gig as a punter. Don't even need to create their own footage. Just send tape of their games where they kick the ball into the F50.

Has height and distance prerequisites shown and shown in a way that will embarrass the current NFL punters.

I honestly thought he would turn out to be a solid player for us for years to come. I remember one stand out game he had at the MCG (can't remember when exactly, yeah I know helpful lol, just that it was a night game) and I thought we we're finally seeing the start of him turning into an AFL player. But he never went on with it which was disappointing.

Good luck with his new adventure. :thumbsu:

punting is as much about height as it is about distance

Not always. Hang-time was a big factor 10-20 years ago, but these days NFL clubs are looking for punters who have a strong leg and can pin their opponent inside their own 20 yard line. A lot of NFL clubs now use punters who are strong exponents of the Australian rules drop punt because it gives the punter better control over the direction of their punt.

To be honest, unless Litherland has already improved and will continue to improve his kicking, he's no chance of forging a career as a punter, even at USC.

I honestly thought he would turn out to be a solid player for us for years to come. I remember one stand out game he had at the MCG (can't remember when exactly, yeah I know helpful lol, just that it was a night game) and I thought we we're finally seeing the start of him turning into an AFL player. But he never went on with it which was disappointing.

Possibly the twilight game against GWS where Bolton was coaching and we scraped home?

I always had the impression of watching Litherland play was that his first instinct was to belt the ball as far forward away from him as he could, which in Clarkson's game-plan was never going to fly with the coaches. He was decent depth but never really kicked on the way the club would have wanted him to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whitey promoted to a line coach at North.

Really pleased for him. Always thought when his playing was cut short like it was that he'd still have a certain fire in the belly for more footy. He's got unfinished business with the game.
Jeez, an uninjured and fit Whitey ... really one of the big ifs over the last 10 years for me.

Not always. Hang-time was a big factor 10-20 years ago, but these days NFL clubs are looking for punters who have a strong leg and can pin their opponent inside their own 20 yard line. A lot of NFL clubs now use punters who are strong exponents of the Australian rules drop punt because it gives the punter better control over the direction of their punt.

To be honest, unless Litherland has already improved and will continue to improve his kicking, he's no chance of forging a career as a punter, even at USC.
This. Gridiron has become fascinated with the Aussie ability to control location and kick in imperfect conditions (see adverse wind). Just grinds me that US media and fans keep calling it "rugby style" kicking. All of the punters I'm aware of are Aussie Rules players. Too bad he'll be with the University of Spoiled Children, though...

This. Gridiron has become fascinated with the Aussie ability to control location and kick in imperfect conditions (see adverse wind). Just grinds me that US media and fans keep calling it "rugby style" kicking. All of the punters I'm aware of are Aussie Rules players. Too bad he'll be with the University of Spoiled Children, though...
The "rugby style" thing does my head in too!

Really pleased for him. Always thought when his playing was cut short like it was that he'd still have a certain fire in the belly for more footy. He's got unfinished business with the game.
Jeez, an uninjured and fit Whitey ... really one of the big ifs over the last 10 years for me.

Very unlucky not to be a premiership player, he would have been right up there with Spangher, Shoey, Langers as a cult hero on GF day!

Very unlucky not to be a premiership player, he would have been right up there with Spangher, Shoey, Langers as a cult hero on GF day!
IIRC they showed Whitey on the big screen when doing the '13 GF medal presentations and applause broke out in the crowd. He did end up with a VFL flag but not quite the same thing.

Should go alright at Prospect Oval. Move interstate at his more mature age now might even help him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back