Where are they now (delistings / retirements since 2005)

Remove this Banner Ad

I liked Suckers too. He is so underrated as a player - has been close to the WB best player for sections of the season since being there.

Bevo has a bit to answer for poaching them both.
?

I was talking about Kyle Cheney

Are you thinking of Taylor Duryea?

I always liked it when he was in the team

Gave 100% at every contest

Still remember him missing a goal from the goal square down in Tassie one year though!
Yep. Brisbane 2013.

He was the perfect team man. Just a shame we couldn't squeeze him in to a premiership team. But at whose expense?

I really felt that Cheney wasn't given an opportunity to grow within the team. His longest stretch of consecutive games was in 2015 as a Brian Lake replacement playing on guys like Franklin (lol) rather than a running half-back. Despite giving away more than 10cm on his direct opponent I always thought he was reliable and fit the Clarkson model well. Unfortunately our Premiership 22 was just so strong. Shame he wasn't really given a chance both at Hawthorn and Adelaide (I've heard rumours that Don Pyke didn't like him).

I really felt that Cheney wasn't given an opportunity to grow within the team. His longest stretch of consecutive games was in 2015 as a Brian Lake replacement playing on guys like Franklin (lol) rather than a running half-back. Despite giving away more than 10cm on his direct opponent I always thought he was reliable and fit the Clarkson model well. Unfortunately our Premiership 22 was just so strong. Shame he wasn't really given a chance both at Hawthorn and Adelaide (I've heard rumours that Don Pyke didn't like him).
He was a victim of bad timing

Right place, wrong time

Good hand, Kyle Cheney. Dominated the VFL when outside the Hawks. Always wished him well.
Always liked Cheney. Nothing wrong with his career achievements of course, but reckon he was stiff to play 80-odd when Zac Dawson played 200-odd; I know which I preferred to see in the jumper.

Always liked Cheney. Nothing wrong with his career achievements of course, but reckon he was stiff to play 80-odd when Zac Dawson played 200-odd; I know which I preferred to see in the jumper.

166, but I 100% agree. 152 under Ross - he definitely saw something the rest of us didn't. Cheney every time for me. You trusted him with ball in hand.

He was a victim of bad timing

Right place, wrong time
I didn't mind Cheney, was given some pretty tough tasks when with us and did ok.

This is spot on though. Though, maybe more wrong place at the wrong time. I think he could have had an extended career if he didn't come to Hawthorn. He was capable of holding down a spot in most sides bar the most dominant one at the time. If he was with us now, at the age he was then, he comfortably hold his spot.

The Goo is back in Melbourne - yeah yeah!!

Brent Guerra to play with Frankston Dolphins in Division 4 of Southern league
When the Frankston Dolphins coach asked this dual Hawthorn premiership star to record a message to his playing group, little did he know he’d actually go one better and have a kick. Now he’s “open to anything” and signed on as a player and coach.

The Frankston Dolphins say it was a “huge surprise” to sign former Hawthorn premiership player Brent Guerra.
Guerra, back in Melbourne after working as a development coach with the Fremantle Dockers, has a friendship with Dolphins assistant coach Cain Padman.
“We threw it out there to see if he’d do a message to the group,” Frankston Dolphins coach Chris Lacey said today.
“He goes, ‘I’ll do one better, I’ll come and have a kick with you’.
“It was a huge surprise.”
New Dolphin Brent Guerra. Picture: Frankston Dolphins Facebook
Lacey said having Guerra involved was “massive” for the young Dolphins, who were a junior club before fielding seniors and reserves for the first time in 2018.
“It will be huge, and it’s a bit of excitement, too,” Lacey said.
“In these times, everyone’s a bit down and flat. He will bring a bit of excitement to our group.
“We’re such a young and inexperienced group but it’s a really good group that’s willing to learn. What he’ll bring is just invaluable.

“And he’s super keen to get on board. Yeah, it’s exciting times.”
Lacey said Guerra would join the Dolphins when training resumes next week.
Brent Guerra celebrates after kicking a goal for Hawthorn in the 2013 preliminary final.
He said the 37-year-old, who played 255 games with Port Adelaide, St Kilda and Hawthorn, would play where required.
“He’s open to anything,” Lacey said.
“He will play with a coaching role, direct traffic and just have that experience in any part of the ground where we are lacking.
“He will have a lot to do with our juniors. We had two or three under-16s in our side last year, so he will do a bit of work with them, get them ready for senior footy quicker.”
In their inaugural season in 2018, the Frankston Dolphins played off in a semi-final, and their reserves made the grand final.
In 2019, the twos won the premiership and the seniors lost in the preliminary final.
Guerra has played in seven premierships — two at the elite level — since 2000 and the Dolphins hope to tap into his knowledge.
“We really want to use his knowledge and get him to tell the boys what it takes (to win flags),” Lacey said.
Guerra played in two Hawthorn premierships, in 2008 and ‘13.
He also had flag success with Deer Park and coached Chelsea in the MPNFL.

Jon Hay is starting to turn it around after 15 years in a downward spiral talking about "how he is ready to be a “better husband, a better father” and an ambassador for The Male Hug, a mental health awareness organisation giving him a new purpose in life."

Jon Hay is starting to turn it around after 15 years in a downward spiral talking about "how he is ready to be a “better husband, a better father” and an ambassador for The Male Hug, a mental health awareness organisation giving him a new purpose in life."

I thought this article/interview was a ripper.

I knew all this info way back but it’s great he has owned up to it and working his way through it and out the other side.

Such a shame as he was a ripper from 99 until the end of 2001 and then his onfield performance just completely dropped away and I guess this now finally clears the air a bit.

I thought this article/interview was a ripper.

I knew all this info way back but it’s great he has owned up to it and working his way through it and out the other side.

Such a shame as he was a ripper from 99 until the end of 2001 and then his onfield performance just completely dropped away and I guess this now finally clears the air a bit.
He played a belter of a game against Carlton at Princes Park maybe in 99 or 2000. Was the first time I saw him live.
Played off a wing kicked a few, disposal was a bit iffy but destroyed them.

Was such a shame how it ended , he was such a shell of that player . Glad he has started moving in the right direction with his life .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He played a belter of a game against Carlton at Princes Park maybe in 99 or 2000. Was the first time I saw him live.
Played off a wing kicked a few, disposal was a bit iffy but destroyed them.

Was such a shame how it ended , he was such a shell of that player . Glad he has started moving in the right direction with his life .

Yes that game was a ripper.

Story from Thomo.

I had to laugh at the comment about "no silver spoon treatment" his boy Louis looks like getting a big lick of the silver spoon from the pioneers, not forgetting being coached or assistant coached by his old man just about every year. Yes Louis can play a bit but so many of his ilk have either given up or won't get the same look in.

Story from Thomo.

I had to laugh at the comment about "no silver spoon treatment" his boy Louis looks like getting a big lick of the silver spoon from the pioneers, not forgetting being coached or assistant coached by his old man just about every year. Yes Louis can play a bit but so many of his ilk have either given up or won't get the same look in.
You sound like 63 thousand disgruntled fathers who think their kid is better than what they are and annoy the s**t out of coaches and committee folk with conspiracy theories.

FWIW, Thomo wasn't exactly rocking the world as a youngster, for that matter Dustin Martin was nothing more than average until 14 or 15 - some develop earlier and some develop later.

For sure Louis is receiving a great footy education, but so are the senior, reserve and Under 18 players at Kyneton that Nathan is coaching.

You sound like 63 thousand disgruntled fathers who think their kid is better than what they are and annoy the sh*t out of coaches and committee folk with conspiracy theories.

FWIW, Thomo wasn't exactly rocking the world as a youngster, for that matter Dustin Martin was nothing more than average until 14 or 15 - some develop earlier and some develop later.

For sure Louis is receiving a great footy education, but so are the senior, reserve and Under 18 players at Kyneton that Nathan is coaching.
From firsthand experience, he doesn't offer much other than his name.
Edit. Nice people the Thompsons, Kyneton are flat broke, they were even before covid so credit to Nathan for taking it on.

Last edited:
From firsthand experience, he doesn't offer much other than his name.
Edit. Nice people the Thompsons, Kyneton are flat broke, they were even before covid so credit to Nathan for taking it on.
Thomo bleeds Kyneton and I have massive respect for his contribution. If Kyneton was just broke it probably would be a massive weight off many minds, the fact that they managed to accumulate a 200k debt so soon after going into a recess......personally I find that unfathonable.

Our boy Billy gearing up for a finals run!

NORTH

North Adelaide is yet to confirm who will be its skipper for the clash with Sturt at Peter Motley Oval.

Captain Alex Spina and his two deputies Andrew Moore and Tom Schwarz are all sidelined by hamstring strains, ensuring someone outside of the leadership group will toss the coin.

Key defender Tanner Smith (ankle) and ruckman Alex Barns (leg) were unable to recover from their injuries suffered against Central in Round 12.

Former Hawthron speedster Billy Hartung has been thrust into the centre square despite not having played a League game since Round 2 due to a back ailment.

He has been joined in the Roosters’ 23-man squad by Karl Finlay, Lee Minervini and Mackenzie Slee, who have all been listed on the extended interchange bench.

F: Lebois, Harvey, Hender

HF: Szekely, Ramsey, W. Combe

C: Allmond, Hartung, Young

HB: Clisby, Hilder, Wigg

B: Jarman, C. Craig, Chalmers

R: J. Craig, Hewett, C. Combe

INT: Davies, Finlay, Miller, Minervini, Slee

IN: J. Craig, Finlay, Hartung, Minervini, Slee

OUT: A. Barns (leg), Spina (hamstring), Schwarz (hamstring), Smith (ankle)

2 former rookies playing in WAFL GF - Kade Stewart on the winning side with 12 possies and Jared Hardisty on the losing side with a very impressive 22 possies including 8 tackles.
Great to see the boys still committed to their footy at a seriously good level.

Big bad Brian Lake to make a comeback in 2021 under ex Pies and Dockers player Brodie Holland at Carolina Springs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back