Where are they now (delistings / retirements since 2005)

Remove this Banner Ad

The Popstar has retired from the SANFL and is off to play bush footy.

Paul Puopolo signs up for 2022 country footy experience with Virginia Football Club
Three-time AFL premiership player and former Norwood gun Paul Puopolo has signed for a new club, and his choice may come as a surprise.

After calling time on his career at Norwood, AFL premiership player Paul Puopolo has signed with the Virginia Football Club of the Adelaide Plains Football League for season 2022.

The small forward, who played five league seasons for Norwood in the SANFL and was part of Hawthorn’s run of three straight AFL premierships from 2013-2015, was captivated by the country footy lifestyle the Rams offered.

“One of my mates from work, Taylor, his young lad plays in their under-17s and they got me to head down for a pep talk before the grand final,” Puopolo said.

“They welcomed me with open arms and just the feel and laid-back atmosphere, it’s something I want to experience.

“People live and breathe footy in the country. They make a day of it and I just want to be a part of that.”

Puopolo experienced a disappointing end to his romantic return to Norwood from the AFL this year, suffering injury at the tail-end of the season and returning for the club’s semi-final loss against South Adelaide.

The fan favourite thought about going for another shot at an SANFL premiership with the Redlegs again in 2022 but the commitment was too much.

“SANFL is a big commitment and I’m getting older with a wife and two daughters now so I’m really looking to spend more time with the family,” Puopolo said.

“I didn’t want to put Norwood in the position where I could only train once or twice a week and I also saw a lot of great young kids coming through there. I don’t want to take their spot if I can’t give it 100 per cent.”

Virginia finished sixth on the APFL ladder this year, focusing more on bringing young players through the system.

Puopolo said his experience at AFL and SANFL level can be a major boost for the club and its A grade.

“Obviously I want to experience premierships again and I think I can provide that boost to get the club there,” he said.

“I want to help the club develop too, they’ve got a lot of young kids coming through the ranks.

“I’m never afraid to speak up and give pointers and I enjoy the role of giving guidance so I’m looking forward to the experience.”

Puopolo and the club will get back on the park for pre-season through December.

Kieran Lovell only lasted 1 year in the SANFL with West Adelaide

WEST ADELAIDE

Kaine Stevens, Josh Schiller, Kieran Lovell, Nathan Batley, Thomas Murphy, Patrick Levicki

Last edited:
Shane Savage signed up to the Pines in the mpnfl

After 2 disappointing years at the Swans, Kaiden Brand has signed with his SANFL Club West Adelaide

Last edited:
The Popstar has retired from the SANFL and is off to play bush footy.

Paul Puopolo signs up for 2022 country footy experience with Virginia Football Club
Three-time AFL premiership player and former Norwood gun Paul Puopolo has signed for a new club, and his choice may come as a surprise.

After calling time on his career at Norwood, AFL premiership player Paul Puopolo has signed with the Virginia Football Club of the Adelaide Plains Football League for season 2022.

The small forward, who played five league seasons for Norwood in the SANFL and was part of Hawthorn’s run of three straight AFL premierships from 2013-2015, was captivated by the country footy lifestyle the Rams offered.

“One of my mates from work, Taylor, his young lad plays in their under-17s and they got me to head down for a pep talk before the grand final,” Puopolo said.

“They welcomed me with open arms and just the feel and laid-back atmosphere, it’s something I want to experience.

“People live and breathe footy in the country. They make a day of it and I just want to be a part of that.”

Puopolo experienced a disappointing end to his romantic return to Norwood from the AFL this year, suffering injury at the tail-end of the season and returning for the club’s semi-final loss against South Adelaide.

The fan favourite thought about going for another shot at an SANFL premiership with the Redlegs again in 2022 but the commitment was too much.

“SANFL is a big commitment and I’m getting older with a wife and two daughters now so I’m really looking to spend more time with the family,” Puopolo said.

“I didn’t want to put Norwood in the position where I could only train once or twice a week and I also saw a lot of great young kids coming through there. I don’t want to take their spot if I can’t give it 100 per cent.”

Virginia finished sixth on the APFL ladder this year, focusing more on bringing young players through the system.

Puopolo said his experience at AFL and SANFL level can be a major boost for the club and its A grade.

“Obviously I want to experience premierships again and I think I can provide that boost to get the club there,” he said.

“I want to help the club develop too, they’ve got a lot of young kids coming through the ranks.

“I’m never afraid to speak up and give pointers and I enjoy the role of giving guidance so I’m looking forward to the experience.”

Puopolo and the club will get back on the park for pre-season through December.

Two daughters
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Kieran Lovell only lasted 1 year in the SANFL with West Adelaide

WEST ADELAIDE

Kaine Stevens, Josh Schiller, Kieran Lovell, Nathan Batley, Thomas Murphy, Patrick Levicki
The worst pick ever. Was in the B's for Westies and they were the worst team in the comp by a long way. Even worse was that he was a supposedly ready made ball magnet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldnt agree more, was such a bizzare pick to

From this I can see why he was drafted. I didn't realise he was that athletic and tested so well.

I never watched any of his draft year so I can't say much more than that. Certainly an odd one in hindsight considering how he turned out though.

From this I can see why he was drafted. I didn't realise he was that athletic and tested so well.

I never watched any of his draft year so I can't say much more than that. Certainly an odd one in hindsight considering how he turned out though.
How bizzarre the below stat, never once can I remember his agility being praised or being a stand out aspect of his game.

Lovell won the agility test at the draft combine with a time of 7.9 seconds, and also finished top 10 in the goalkicking test and beep test.

Does anybody remember rookie player Roury Kirby? Was an All Australian u/18 and we took him pick 3 in that years rookie draft. We delisted him after 1 year but he went on to have a very good career with Glenelg in the SANFL and also represented SA.
Still going around with Echuca in country footy with some decent names just quietly.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader...l/news-story/74889da085b339a06b5354da91bbdfeb

Does anybody remember rookie player Roury Kirby? Was an All Australian u/18 and we took him pick 3 in that years rookie draft. We delisted him after 1 year but he went on to have a very good career with Glenelg in the SANFL and also represented SA.
Still going around with Echuca in country footy with some decent names just quietly.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader...l/news-story/74889da085b339a06b5354da91bbdfeb

"Roar" was a fan favourite here for the Bays for many years. Great fella.

How bizzarre the below stat, never once can I remember his agility being praised or being a stand out aspect of his game.

Lovell won the agility test at the draft combine with a time of 7.9 seconds, and also finished top 10 in the goalkicking test and beep test.

To be fair he looked good at SANFL league level the couple of times I saw him, but didn't manage to get out on the park much.

Fair call, how did he move when he was?

Looked pretty fit early season- took a while to get into the game in round 1. Round 2 he absolutely smashed it, then missed the next 10 or so. Only saw him once on return, to be honest still looked a bit sore.

The worst pick ever. Was in the B's for Westies and they were the worst team in the comp by a long way. Even worse was that he was a supposedly ready made ball magnet.

Should have kicked on, just never had the drive. He's basically what Sam Mitchell could have been without any motivation.

Couldnt agree more, was such a bizzare pick to
In hindsight, even though he was a bad pick, there wasn’t much taken after him either. We’d have had to really shoot the lights outs to make something of that pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back