List Mgmt. Where are they now? (ex suns)

Remove this Banner Ad

Keep rankine= no Humphrey, yes rankine would be nice right now but I'm on the Humphrey train.
Plus, GWS have shown exactly what happens when you overpay to retain players. They gave guys like Nick Haynes a $1 million a year contract and lost players like Taranto & Hopper a few years later because their salary cap was bursting at the seams. You've got to keep your salary cap in order if you want to remain competitive in this league. There's really only one way around it when you find yourself in the situation of paying someone too much and that's the relatively new concept (AFL wise) of salary dumping like Collingwood did with Treloar/Grundy in recent years.

Plus, GWS have shown exactly what happens when you overpay to retain players. They gave guys like Nick Haynes a $1 million a year contract and lost players like Taranto & Hopper a few years later because their salary cap was bursting at the seams. You've got to keep your salary cap in order if you want to remain competitive in this league. There's really only one way around it when you find yourself in the situation of paying someone too much and that's the relatively new concept (AFL wise) of salary dumping like Collingwood did with Treloar/Grundy in recent years.
They have played finals in 5 seasons
I'd say their strategy worked wouldn't you?
And their list looks pretty sound right now

They have played finals in 5 seasons
I'd say their strategy worked wouldn't you?
And their list looks pretty sound right now
Depends on how you want to look at it. They put $1 million of their cap into Jeremy Cameron early on and it paid dividends as they went on multiple finals runs. Around the end of their finals window in 2019/20 they started handing out $1 million contracts to guys like Nick Haynes and stopped making finals on a regular basis. So to answer your question - yes their early strategy worked early because they invested their big money into a guys who deserved it like Jeremy Cameron. In recent years they've put big money into the wrong players like Nick Haynes and they haven't been playing finals regularly.

IMO Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson are the right players to invest big money contracts into going forward. Conversely, IMO Izak Rankine is not the right player to invest a big money contract into. There's a reason why Brisbane are paying Lachie Neale around $900k and Charlie Cameron around $650k while continuing to play finals year after year. If we get this right then players will be willing to take less money to play for us because they are excited to be a part of a team that's playing finals. That's how Geelong managed to extend their finals window for over a decade.

Personally I think players like Rankine are game winners.
Turn games on its head with goals from nowhere.

There’s 100mids in the comp who can rack up 25 touches a game who don’t really effect the end result of the game.

But only a handful of players capable of doing what Rankine does.

Even if Rankine changes and wins 1-2 games off his boot.. it’s worth the extra couple hundred K

Jack bowes could of chosen any team in the afl and he chose the worst one in the comp

Jack bowes could of chosen any team in the afl and he chose the worst one in the comp
At least they’ve made him feel right at home.

If Geelong don’t sort out this start today, last week doesn’t look nearly as good, and we are looking firmly as puts a bottom 5 teams on form.

He didn’t know the words to the song when they won

I dare say Rankine is about to feel the full force of the SA footy bubble if the Crows lose and Izak doesn't do something in the last 10 minutes here. Adelaide were the strong favourites going into this one and Rankine has kicked two behinds so far.

I dare say Rankine is about to feel the full force of the SA footy bubble if the Crows lose and Izak doesn't do something in the last 10 minutes here. Adelaide were the strong favourites going into this one and Rankine has kicked two behinds so far.
They won, so doesn’t matter. If their key forwards are kicking goals nobody will bother Rankine much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And just like that Rankine scored a crucial goal with 4 min to go using his magic😂

Amazing how Scrimshaw has lost his place in a tanking hawks side.

Bramble, Mitchell and now Weddle have all surpassed him all in 7 rounds of football.

Bramble, Mitchell and now Weddle have all surpassed him all in 7 rounds of football.
Imagine growing up being actively encouraged to lie and deceive . be not committed to your job but keep putting your hand out for a fat pay cheque
I'm afraid that's a character cancer that's not going to put you in a good place later in your career

Compare Prestia -not my favourite guy-but gave his all for as long as he could at The Suns.We all knew he was going but I don't recall him shirking a contest or not giving his all whilst he was here.
We shouldn't be surprised by both players' divergent trajectories at their chosen Clubs

Wonder how being on his phone during team meetings is working out for him at the Hawks?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back