List Mgmt. Where are they now? (ex suns)

Remove this Banner Ad

So you're saying that you are 100% sure that there are guys (you mention Kritta Pendlebury, Myles Sewell - who has kicking issues that simply cannot be fixed and others) that should be playing AFL? That are better than players on AFL lists? Taking into consideration that these guys are mature and some 18 year olds don't have the physical capabilities yet to be able to reach their full potential and need time to develop. Terribly long poorly worded sentence, but that's literally the only reason that would make your argument correct. You are, almost categorically saying that you know better than AFL list managers. That's a massive statement mate. If you were right then clubs would have already picked these guys up. Surely you agree that each club wants the best players possible on their list right?

Not every player drafted into the AFL reaches their potential, and plenty of players that are overlooked in their draft years improves enough to be AFL quality. We have seen plenty of mature age guys who have been overlooked come through the system as either rookies or through the draft and make an immediate impression. There are reasons why others don't get picked up. It could be concerns over injuries, age, height, fitness, or skills. Not all of these reasons prove legitimate, look at Ian Callinan... To be a mature age recruit, you need to tick a lot of boxes, because potential is valued highly by clubs.

If you think I am saying that I know more than AFL list managers, then what you are saying is that AFL list managers are infallible, which is even less likely. Of course squibs are recruited by list managers, they make mistakes and potential isn't always reached, and very good players do occasionally get overlooked for a variety of reasons (Barlow, Callinan, Podsiadly, Zorko).

To think that 100% of the best players in the country are on an AFL lists is ludicrous. There are always going to be guys that are AFL quality, but for whatever reason they are not an AFL list. Just like there are quite a number of guys that are not or never will be AFL quality who are on an AFL list.

Tazwegian fair chirp. I'm not saying that 100% of the best players in the country are on AFL lists, but I do think it's 99.9%. And of that .1% (obviously these figures are just a representation) I think you'll find that the VFL is the 3rd or so tier down. SANFL, WAFL and I've no idea of the quality of the other east coast state leagues. But there truly isn't any AFL quality in the VFL. Bar the odd exception - as with anything in life. Trust me man, there seriously isn't.

There is a gap but VFL is the next tier down from AFL closely followed by SANFL. What is the point of saying there is no AFL quality bar the odd exception? These exceptions which pop up every year are what clubs are looking for. Their drafting in the last 10 years completely contradicts your philosophy.

Tazwegian fair chirp. I'm not saying that 100% of the best players in the country are on AFL lists, but I do think it's 99.9%. And of that .1% (obviously these figures are just a representation) I think you'll find that the VFL is the 3rd or so tier down. SANFL, WAFL and I've no idea of the quality of the other east coast state leagues. But there truly isn't any AFL quality in the VFL. Bar the odd exception - as with anything in life. Trust me man, there seriously isn't.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one, Dark. Will be interesting to see how some of the mature age boys taken from the VFL this year go. Can't remember all that were taken, but I know of Dean Towers and Sam Dwyer.

There is a gap but VFL is the next tier down from AFL closely followed by SANFL. What is the point of saying there is no AFL quality bar the odd exception? These exceptions which pop up every year are what clubs are looking for. Their drafting in the last 10 years completely contradicts your philosophy.
The point is that it's a commonly held view that there are heaps of gems hidden away in the VFL. My point is that I believe there are not. I'm just trying to refute this view in my own not-so-eloquent way.

I love you mate but i cant agree with the 99.9%. Consider blokes like Dayle Garlett. Add to them short blokes, mature blokes and rural blokes that wont move.

There is a prejudice in AFL in more than one area. I dont mean racial, but i have seen that brought up.

There is prejudice against naughty kids, short kids, older kids. It doesnt mean they cant play....

I love you mate but i cant agree with the 99.9%. Consider blokes like Dayle Garlett. Add to them short blokes, mature blokes and rural blokes that wont move.

There is a prejudice in AFL in more than one area. I dont mean racial, but i have seen that brought up.

There is prejudice against naughty kids, short kids, older kids. It doesnt mean they cant play....
Not at all what I was saying mate. I actually agree with your points.
From watching the VFL, I just don't think there's anyone really who would come in and do a better job than an AFL listed player. With the odd exception of course. My main point was though that the VFL is kinda s**t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do any of you guys know what happened with marc lock at the suns? I watched several matches the year they played in the vfl and thought he was a bloody good footballer but now he appears on the abc in the middle of the night playing at box hill. its puzzled me for the last couple of years.

Do any of you guys know what happened with marc lock at the suns? I watched several matches the year they played in the vfl and thought he was a bloody good footballer but now he appears on the abc in the middle of the night playing at box hill. its puzzled me for the last couple of years.

Plays with Box Hill and Box Hill development.

It's unfortunate Andrew wasnt blessed with a few extra inches in height to fill out into. As a juniour i remember him being an absolute freak but was overlooked in the draft due to his height. Correct me if im wrong but he was first rookie listed at St.Kilda and his work ethic was what got him over the line.
Andrew McQualter is now a development coach at Richmond along with Max Bailey from Hawthorn

Hamish Watts was supposedly on our list in either the TAC or VFL. He's going around sprouting that Bluey is an idiot who knows nothing about football and that's why they clashed. Apparently he challenged him on certain aspects of the game and because of this he wasn't kept on :rolleyes:

Hamish Watts was supposedly on our list in either the TAC or VFL. He's going around sprouting that Bluey is an idiot who knows nothing about football and that's why they clashed. Apparently he challenged him on certain aspects of the game and because of this he wasn't kept on :rolleyes:
yeah i've seen a few of his comments (along with a few other guys who were delisted earlier on) having a go at the club on it's facebook page. sour grapes much haha

Remove this Banner Ad

Back