List Mgmt. Where are they now? (ex suns)

Remove this Banner Ad

Prestia will always be one of my favourite Suns.
Always gave his all for the club on field and off.
He was always very giving of his time for the members and has never said anything bad about us in the media after moving on.
He deserves all the success he’s getting now after all the hard work he’s put into his career

Prestia will always be one of my favourite Suns.
Always gave his all for the club on field and off.
He was always very giving of his time for the members and has never said anything bad about us in the media after moving on.
He deserves all the success he’s getting now after all the hard work he’s put into his career
That's good to hear. Sometimes ex players can be campaigners after leaving.

Dion is probably the only guy that left on good terms. Wrote a letter to fans and members explaining why and thanking them. Chose Richmond partly because of how they could satisfy GC.

Chalk and cheese compared to the others, Jaeger especially.

Dion is probably the only guy that left on good terms. Wrote a letter to fans and members explaining why and thanking them. Chose Richmond partly because of how they could satisfy GC.

Chalk and cheese compared to the others, Jaeger especially.
That's really nice for him to do that.

Seemed genuine in that interview. Didn't seem like he parted on bad terms.
If you spend enough time on this sub-forum you'll notice most Suns supporters don't hold a grudge against Prestia because he handled his departure with class. Certainly a lot more ill feelings towards others like O'Meara who handled himself quite poorly if I'm being honest. Dion gave it a genuine crack while he was with us and although I probably would have preferred him to give us two more years so we could say he gave us as much as he could and decided to leave as a free agent (which would have probably resulted in another top 4 pick like Max King or Connor Rozee) I can't criticise the way he handled the situation. Pick 7 from Richmond in 2016 was a fair trade and we know how things played out with Scrimshaw but we can't blame Dion for that. I like Dion and wished him well when he left.

Every case of a player leaving the club or arriving at the club is different.
How they perform on the field and act off the field is different.
So I choose to treat all the players coming, staying, and going differently.
But not fussed if Boddsy thinks differently.

There are certainly a few that have stayed over the years that I wish had left! Not my favourite players at all.

I'm the most disappointed in

Lynch: obvious reasons.

Saad, given we plucked him from the VFL, gave him a chance, and didn't really get the return on investment for the player he was becoming

O'Meara - don't blame him in a way given the injury woes, ultimately, we couldn't get him on the park and Hawthorn did (not discrediting the amount of money, time, effort we put in and the groundwork we laid to allow that to happen). Also because he was a 10-year gun player that slipped from our grasp.

Garlett - Probably wasn't worth much, but just the way that it ended, and then he went to Carlton 12 months later deprived us of the capacity to get anything in a trade. Luke Ryan, Mitch Lewis, Nick Larkey all went in the 5th round in the 2016 draft. Wouldn't have minded any of them on our list!

I'm the most disappointed in

Lynch: obvious reasons.

Saad, given we plucked him from the VFL, gave him a chance, and didn't really get the return on investment for the player he was becoming

O'Meara - don't blame him in a way given the injury woes, ultimately, we couldn't get him on the park and Hawthorn did (not discrediting the amount of money, time, effort we put in and the groundwork we laid to allow that to happen). Also because he was a 10-year gun player that slipped from our grasp.

Garlett - Probably wasn't worth much, but just the way that it ended, and then he went to Carlton 12 months later deprived us of the capacity to get anything in a trade. Luke Ryan, Mitch Lewis, Nick Larkey all went in the 5th round in the 2016 draft. Wouldn't have minded any of them on our list!

I’m more disappointed in the way the club hierarchy went about the end of 2014.. clearly the decisions of 2014/2015 set the club back 5 years

I’m more disappointed in the way the club hierarchy went about the end of 2014.. clearly the decisions of 2014/2015 set the club back 5 years
Yeah, 100%
Just commenting on the players. But yes, they are just representative of what was happening higher up the food chain.

what was that? the sacking of the coach?
That was the end of the McKenna era.
Rocket Ashcroft and co did nothing to actual develop and mature the club.

In the 3 years he was head coach we lost saad, Prestia, o’meara and essentially lost Lynch.

Had early draftees like lonergan, Leslie, Schade, Garlett make zero impact at afl level.

idiots like gorringe, grant made a mockery of this being a professional team.

Bennell had probably his best year stats wise 2014. if we had proper leadership replace McKenna we might have been able to save him.

I’m happy with the team we’ve got now, but would have loved if we could have done something with our original core.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was the end of the McKenna era.
Rocket Ashcroft and co did nothing to actual develop and mature the club.

In the 3 years he was head coach we lost saad, Prestia, o’meara and essentially lost Lynch.

Had early draftees like lonergan, Leslie, Schade, Garlett make zero impact at afl level.

idiots like gorringe, grant made a mockery of this being a professional team.

Bennell had probably his best year stats wise 2014. if we had proper leadership replace McKenna we might have been able to save him.

I’m happy with the team we’ve got now, but would have loved if we could have done something with our original core.
I always liked Guy McKenna. To sack him in a year the suns probably had their best year didn't help. It's easy to blame the coach, maybe they should have just changed up the coaches around him, gave more support.

I always liked Guy McKenna. To sack him in a year the suns probably had their best year didn't help. It's easy to blame the coach, maybe they should have just changed up the coaches around him, gave more support.
Tactically, Bluey was good. Too many stories on the issues around culture which is what lit that fire. Players were not held accountable for actions and dedication.

Then they bring Rocket in who was too far the other way. So all these players that lived a 'Gold Coast Lifestyle' were then put under Rocket who was an oldskool, take no prisoners, dictator of a coach. No communication, do as I say, not as I do.

We are a real Goldilocks story I think, and we finally have our happy medium. Dew is a people person, a good communicator, players like him but more importantly respect him. I still have questions about his on field gameplans, but that I trust him. And so do the players, which is showing with our improving retention rates

Tactically, Bluey was good. Too many stories on the issues around culture which is what lit that fire. Players were not held accountable for actions and dedication.
Do you subscribe to the theory that the post-match altercation with Jarrod Harbrow late in the 2014 season was the final nail in the coffin for Bluey?

Do you subscribe to the theory that the post-match altercation with Jarrod Harbrow late in the 2014 season was the final nail in the coffin for Bluey?

I don't. I personally think if SUNS made finals we would be a totally different outcome. The real turning point was when Ablett went down

After a game in Cairns maybe? Or Townsville?

Noone rouses on Harbs and gets away for it. Once I heard about that I've never seen Bluey in the same light.
It was after a qclash, i remember it well. Mckenna pretty much said that Harbs was soft and was the reason why the bulldogs lost all those prelims im pretty sure

After a game in Cairns maybe? Or Townsville?

Noone rouses on Harbs and gets away for it. Once I heard about that I've never seen Bluey in the same light.
As you know I was never a fan and just my opinion of course, but the single worst decision made during the Club setup
Was not a mistake GWS made
McKenna maybe could have been ok with some experience but putting a novice coach in charge of a gaggle of 18yo's led by a flawed superstar in Ablett was a major blunder
My preference was Chocco Williams or Pagan (and Hinkley as understudy)

As you know I was never a fan and just my opinion of course, but the single worst decision made during the Club setup
Was not a mistake GWS made
McKenna maybe could have been ok with some experience but putting a novice coach in charge of a gaggle of 18yo's led by a flawed superstar in Ablett was a major blunder
My preference was Chocco Williams or Pagan (and Hinkley as understudy)

I’d be interested to know as to whom was responsible for making McKenna the inaugural coach.
Was A pretty dimwitted appointment.

I’d be interested to know as to whom was responsible for making McKenna the inaugural coach.
Personally I think there was a lot of undergraduate type first semester excitement and backslapping around the Club that led to Bluey getting the job because he was "part of the team" as the VFL coach
My dad used to say about the lambs and calves on the farm
"Don't name something you might have to eat"
I reckon no-one really had the guts to "eat" Bluey so they appointed him senior coach
New Club in new territory
No previous senior coaching experience
No coaching support
Team of U18's
No training facilities
No player leadership
What could possibly go wrong

It was an interesting period for our club. We had just struck out on who was considered a big fish at the time - Michael Voss. We offered Vossy a three-year deal to coach us in our TAC Cup, VFL and first AFL year but reports at the time suggested he wanted a guaranteed five-year deal and was unwilling to accept a three-year deal. Apparently Vossy got mad that we insisted on a three-year deal (keep in mind he had never coached at this point) so he threw the toys out of the cot and headed west to sign an assistant coaching contract with West Coast.

So there may have been a bit of desperation within the club at the time and we went chasing Mick Malthouse's understudies. Malthouse was considered the best coach in the AFL at the time and Collingwood were on the way up so it seemed like a good appointment when we secured McKenna. We also managed to convince Bluey to sign a two-year deal which gave us the opportunity to appoint a different head coach for our inaugural AFL season if need be.

Would we have been any better off with Vossy at the helm for our first few years? Who knows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back