Analysis Where are we actually at as a club?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jeez some miserable bastards on here, Club gets slammed for trying to make an atmosphere then gets slammed again for not.

Saints are coming song
slow stkilda chant
goal songs
player chants

all we hear is the moaning

instead try get behind it instead of moaning about it, and we wonder why no one shows up.
The player chants are good when the blokes in aisle 30 do it. Not on the PA.

Didn’t need a game day experience that famous game against the Cats when we were both unbeaten in Round 14, 2009.

One of the best games I’ve seen which goes to show that all you need is a team playing great football - that’s the best game day experience.

Nice bump austinnn. A bit high and late, 2weeks

So 12 months ago we were on the cusp of good times, most attractive footy in the league and now it’s sack the coach, bin the Richo style game plan, find more A graders.

the truth is, that not once this season have we had our best 22 on the park. Not once.
That means that we tried to play the same brand of football that worked 12 months ago with lesser players. The teams at the top, generally get a decent run with this. Or they cop injuries early, then get a dream run roughly mid season until finals.

I can’t remember longer then a 2 week block we haven’t lost key players this year.

we saw an evolution of the game plan in the second half of the season. Like any side when your midfieldpressure drops. You tend to get scored on. HOWEVER what I would like to see is a game plan that suits what we have more then trying to make us a quick attacking team.

I what I mean by that is, if we look at our list, we have have a great bunch of intercept defenders in Highmore Howard Wilkie Coffield.

maybe the answer is keeping numbers back and working on + 1 situations to make the most of these attributes.

maybe we slow up our play and go back to rattens focus on ball skills. Become a side that wins the contest. Wins the high ball and uses it effectively

however, UNLIKE last year. We didn’t have amazing accuracy that kept us in game or the pressure on the opposition.

An example 21 scores vs 22 on Friday night. We kicked 12 goals they kicked 18.

re list management. Your going to see a huge decline in our list age by the time they start printing the pre season record and everyone bangs on about premiership windows.

we aren’t old. We are quite you. The issue we have is being brave enough to make a call on half a dozen senior players.

Dunstan Billings Battle Ross Kent Lonie.

the return isn’t majorly important for 2 of them. But the first 5 listed would be ranging From huge salary to just down right overpaid (Kent). Bank some cap,for a free agent at the end of 2022 for 2023.

maybe look at someone like Robbie Tarrant for 12/24 months? Talia if he is fit and sure up the 2nd key defender role.

it doesn’t need to be blown up. It just needs to be done smarter.

This post was from 2 Aug last year on the first page, and apart from a couple of things was almost spot on. Nice work stav

Not as eloquent as stav's summation but I stand by this posted early August last year

I am just writing this year of as a bad year.

We have shown with a half decent team on the field we can match it with the best of the comp.
At our worst we are appalling. Need to find a way to smooth out the inconsistencies from week to week.

Our best 22 is easily a top eight team.

Still reckon this is correct. I believe we have the capacity to be top eight. Top four? Well we shall see, but we must be aiming for the finals.

Steered well clear of this thread over the summer as I knew it would be depressing reading. Suffice to say, some of the most dire predictions haven't come to pass thankfully.

Still we are only 5 games in, plenty of time to St.Kilda this season good and proper.

Nice bump austinnn. A bit high and late, 2weeks

This post was from 2 Aug last year on the first page, and apart from a couple of things was almost spot on. Nice work stav
Jesus I actually seem smart.

But in all seriousness. We are doing it better. Win Friday night and we can start having some confidence in the club from week to week and get excited at what’s to come back into the 22.

Just off the top of my head:

Have a Jack To The Future camera: Play the vision of The Boy Who Would Be Snags in the crowd of that epic match against Brisbane where we beat them by 120 pts and Milney scored 11, then switch to some highlights of the current day Snags as a Saints player, then switch again to a live roving camera picking out really young Saints fans in the crowd. What kid would not want to be the Snags of the future?

Have a Saint Killing It! Busking Competition outside the stadium, Battle Of The Buskers, each doing their very different version of our club song, and inside the ground play videos of the different versions at half time and get the crowd to vote on the best version with their cheers. Winner goes into the comp for the next home game, winner at the end of the season gets video uploaded onto club website. Live roving camera picks out someone cheering for the winning busker each week, that person wins a signed T shirt.

Academy pre-match Scratch match, look to the future kind of thing, live interview from Academy head talking about the most promising players.

Play that awesome membership ad from a couple of years ago with Eric Bana narrating, and update it a little. You know the one:

In fact, play a selection of different membership ads from different years, the retro feel and old cult heroes should entertain people.

When we score a goal, have an animation of our cartoon mascot (St Trevor?) ascending to heaven, which I guess would be a big premiership cup or RSEA park with a 2022 premiership flag proudly flying. The crowd has to make a noise (a "Whoa!" or just screaming or yelling), and the mascot goes higher and higher depending on how loud the noise is. The power of prayer, innit ;)

Get Ed "Sherrin" Sheehan to record a song for us, play it while the team comes out. Not a massive fan of his music but it's very popular and its a shitload better than Weddings Parties Anything.

That fat bogan YouTube comedian with the mullet who's a Saints fan, get him in for a bit of stand up before the game starts, bit of comedy loosens everyone up and makes for a happier night.

G-Train's Arm Wrestling Competition with a non-playing player or coach and an adult Saints fan from the crowd. If the fan wins, they get a t-shirt signed by the elusive Fraser Gehrig.

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire Saint. Choose a kid from the crowd; play a video of the grandfather of one of the current players who was a Saints fan when they were young, grandad is talking about his grandson, how he was as a kid and how he came to be a saints fan, no names or identifying elements. The kid has 4 possible choices of players to choose from. They use the information and what grandad looks like to help them guess. If they get it right, they get a photo taken with that player. EDIT: although we do have a handful of players who were Saints fans, would probably have to extend this to all players, regardless of their previous allegiances.

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire Saint Vintage edition. Have photos of some of 4 of our less famous players from long ago, choose an adult from the audience, if they can identify all 4 players, they win a $100 voucher at the Social Club restaurant or something like that.

I'm sure you guys could think of more ideas too.
Ok now the team are starting to play well, time to get some of my ideas rolling, right?

Ok now the team are starting to play well, time to get some of my ideas rolling, right?
"Get Ed "Sherrin" Sheehan to record a song for us, play it while the team comes out. Not a massive fan of his music but it's very popular and its a shitload better than Weddings Parties Anything"

Hmm not sure you and I share the same musical tastes. lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not as eloquent as stav's summation but I stand by this posted early August last year

Still reckon this is correct. I believe we have the capacity to be top eight. Top four? Well we shall see, but we must be aiming for the finals.

Steered well clear of this thread over the summer as I knew it would be depressing reading. Suffice to say, some of the most dire predictions haven't come to pass thankfully.

Still we are only 5 games in, plenty of time to St.Kilda this season good and proper.

Yeah, I don't know why this has been bumped. It's almost tempting fate to intervene. We have been going well but even the chief pessimist said that we should go okay early in the season. The momentum might be the thing that makes all the difference but wait until we get some actual success before blowing our trumpets. My mates still rib me about The Streak video from back in the day. Celebrating a certain grand final in round 5 is only inviting ridicule.

Yeah, I don't know why this has been bumped. It's almost tempting fate to intervene. We have been going well but even the chief pessimist said that we should go okay early in the season. The momentum might be the thing that makes all the difference but wait until we get some actual success before blowing our trumpets. My mates still rib me about The Streak video from back in the day. Celebrating a certain grand final in round 5 is only inviting ridicule.
Yeah not sure why it was bumped. Was it to show how wrong some people were in their thoughts? If so almost every thread could be bumped and people would be wrong, some right.

As I said I stayed away from this thread as much as possible as it was depressing reading and I disagreed with many of the posts. However if people are going to get their thoughts in the past used to embarrass them, well it will kill the forum as people won't post anything they really feel.

Yeah not sure why it was bumped. Was it to show how wrong some people were in their thoughts? If so almost every thread could be bumped and people would be wrong, some right.

As I said I stayed away from this thread as much as possible as it was depressing reading and I disagreed with many of the posts. However if people are going to get their thoughts in the past used to embarrass them, well it will kill the forum as people won't post anything they really feel.

I will, I don't give a *. Being wrong is actually a bonus for me, I can't lose....... I look like a visionary if we are s**t and if we are good my team's winning.

I will, I don't give a fu**. Being wrong is actually a bonus for me, I can't lose....... I look like a visionary if we are s**t and if we are good my team's winning.
GIF by Star Wars

Where are we actually at as a club?​

in a lot better position then the same time last year

But we have achieved nothing yet its only round 5

we has this turned into kick the s**t out of Gringo?
Ahh he loves it. Blame austinnn, he bumped it. While gringo is a pessimist, what was to be optimistic about after last year?

Hell who was to know our saviour Coops Sharman wouldn't be seen so far for the season and the likes of Crouch and Seb be in career best form, some bloke called Jack Hayes from SA would be a regular starter in the 22, and the likes of Liernert, NWM and Windhager would be getting regular games? Hill would be crushing it on a Forward flank, Sinc's in AA form, and we are in the four without Jones, Clark, Coff, Ryder, Billings and Hanners.

Only 5 games but things seemed to have jelled much better than in '21. Long may it continue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back