Analysis Where are we actually at as a club?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hypothetically speaking.

if the season ended today we get I think pick 8 after the Daicos and Darcy picks Get matched.

it looks like Sinn and Sonsie could be available at that pick. If we got lucky with Billings we potentially could take both - which gives as a lot of flexibility with quick players who have great disposal. If Callaghan falls near our first - which is unlikely. I would look to trade up. He is dynamic.

my opinion is that we just need a port Adelaide off season which we make a few really tough list calls and back in Libba at the draft.

trade really smartly: example - we lose Dunstan and Billings for second rounders. So we trade up into the first round with them etc.

Even Battle who just looks the odd man out for our needs etc.

And identify 2-3 really good prospects in the top 15 - 20 picks. Our NGA kids in the back end of the second round onwards.

I agree but we accept that we probably go backwards for the short term unless guys like Bytel, Byrnes, Clark and Coff get a wriggle on. I think we really need to up the quota of high end talent if our long term goal is a premiership. Trying to take short cuts never seems to make anything quicker. Carlton and Essendon learned that one the hard way.

I am just writing this year of as a bad year.

We have shown with a half decent team on the field we can match it with the best of the comp.
At our worst we are appalling. Need to find a way to smooth out the inconsistencies from week to week.

Our best 22 is easily a top eight team.

We're coached well enough. But there is room for improvement. I don't think coaching should be the focus right now.

A good run with injuries and a not-so-rediculous draw next year and we play finals, but honestly, our list at the moment only just gets us there.

We need to develop our players, recruit and draft well and continue to build.

But you're always going to develop your players, recruit and draft well, etc. There's literally no time when that's not the priority. The only difference is that once in a while when a club thinks it's in a window, it optimises more for right now - but it still tries to do all those other things at the same time.

Overall it's impossible to tell whether it's the players or the coaching. But it's much easier to change the coach than the players. If this time next year we're having a similar discussion, clearly we'd change the coach then, because may as well.

So the decision matrix right now imo is something like this:

- If the players aren't good enough - then changing the coach means you're still crap, no harm done.
- If the players are good enough and the coach isn't good enough - then changing the coach means you might do better.
- If the players are good enough and the coach is good enough - then changing the coach means you might do worse.

(And that changes completely if you can get Clarko to come in, because he's much less risky than other new coaches.)

If you're going badly then the only time you're worse off changing the coach is in that third situation. The players are good enough, the coach is good enough, just that circumstances have led to a bad season or two.

I think it's reasonably likely that's where we are now. Lots of injuries to the wrong players at the wrong times, hard draw, few bits of bad luck in games.

But I don't think it's super surprising if people think we'd be better off changing the coach.

We have shown with a half decent team on the field we can match it with the best of the comp.
At our worst we are appalling. Need to find a way to smooth out the inconsistencies from week to week.

Completely agree Joff.
Injuries have cruelled us and our worst is not AFL standard.
Address these somehow and we play finals.

Same.

Having been a member for 49 years I'm not going to walk away now ahead of a major milestone :smiley: Not that I could walk away anyway.

Coming to grips with this dismal year I now prefer to think our pathetic efforts may be just what was needed. I have faith in Bassatt and the Administration and now the reality of where we are at is fully laid bare. Yes we had a hard draw and yes we had injuries. However we have had the sort of year where those in charge simply won't be able to wash over it. Changes will need to be made. Coaches? Players? Game Plan?

And players who are not living up to their potential will need to get a wriggle on. The Coffield's of this world (and I'm just using him as one example) can suddenly see how easy it can all fall away. He can be one of our most promising young players or he can become a Sandy regular. The coaches can only do so much and these kids need incresae their level of self motivation and to get on their bikes before it's too late.

I will go into 2022 with great hope (tempered by decades of disappointment). I will pray that our blokes come out breathing fire and resolve to be the best they can be.

If they can do that we can play Finals again (and Winx can kick a hundy ;))

Where are we? Not really sure, but I do think it's time to draw a line in the sand and set ourselves on the right path......kind of like the road to 2018, but properly thought out and all encompassing.....Admin to the boot-studder.

Get Off-field RIGHT - shoot for the stars and get the right Execs etc... into the right roles.

Gut the coaching staff and give Ratten the best possible support team we can provide.

Clear the debt - in ANY way possible - it will show everyone, from the AFL down, that we are serious about improving our station.

Clean-out the list - Be brutal.

Keep - Allison, Battle, Butler, Byrnes, Bytel, Clark, Clavarino, Coffield, Connelly, Crouch, Geary, Gresham, Heath, Higgins, Highmore, Hill, Howard, Jones, Joyce, King, Marshall, McKenzie, Paton, Ryder, Sharman, Sinclair, Steele, Webster, Wilkie & Wood - that's 30

Delist/Retire - Alabakis, Carlisle, Frawley, Hannebery, Hunter, Kent, McKernan & Roberton - that's 8

Listen to Offers - Billings (take 2nd round offer/compo), Dunstan (take 2nd-3rd round offer/compo), Long (take a 4th), Lonie (take a 4th) & Ross (take 2nd-3rd round offer/compo) - that's potentially a further 5.

Hit the draft with 1st, 2nd, 3 x 3rd, 3 x 4th - use the 1st & 2nd on best available and use 3rds & 4ths on NGA or to trade up.

Target Wood-type DFA's.

And players who are not living up to their potential will need to get a wriggle on. The Coffield's of this world (and I'm just using him as one example) can suddenly see how easy it can all fall away. He can be one of our most promising young players or he can become a Sandy regular. The coaches can only do so much and these kids need incresae their level of self motivation and to get on their bikes before it's too late.

Yup, exactly.

Jack Steele is the most recent example of it all being above the shoulders.

The guy was 23, had 60+ games under his belt, was going fine as a tagger who could get a bit of the ball, averaging 21 touches a game. Fine, being a slightly better Matt de Boer type will get you to 150 games or so. He probably thought he was working hard.

Then somehow the penny dropped. He came out in 2020 and decided he wanted to be the best he could be. Starting averaging 28 - 29 touches a game (if they were full length), and picked up 20 Brownlow votes. Not a one-off either, this year he'll probably get 15 Brownlow votes.

What changed? He didn't somehow get fitter between seasons.

The penny ******* dropped. He presumably realised that he thought he was working hard but he really wasn't pushing himself as much as he could. That's the big change. Now he gets to every contest, still wins hard balls and tackles, but also gets to twice as many contests and overlaps more too. He's a serious player now.

Same thing happened to Montagna at a similar age. He was a streaky small forward getting maybe 15-20 touches, kicking a goal or two. Then he lifted to 25 touches, then to 30. Became dual All-Australian and started picking up 10+ Brownlow votes regularly in a team making Grand Finals. The change was all above the shoulders.

Clearly there are a bunch of guys in the side who that could happen for. Not just Coff, as you say:

Gresham
Clark
Higgins
Battle
Coffield
Paton
Bytel
Byrnes
Connolly

Like we know what all these guys are capable of. Imagine if they started getting another 5-10 touches a game and presenting to even more contests?

I have been a lifelong Saints member/supporter and I also have family who have played for the Saints, so my loyalty runs deep and is unwavering.

BUT this year is the WORST I have experienced (and I lived through the 80's)

* I don't connect with any of the current players other than King and Marshall
* I find the teams performances/body language insipid and lacks any character
* I experienced two of the worst losses in my living memory this year (Essendon and Adelaide)
* The lack of St Kilda heart and soul personnel at the club is worrying
* The constant building us up and tearing us down marketing strategy is extremely draining

I'm not a huge fan of the financial position that the Moorabbin move has put us in. It's going to be a tough decade coming up with COVID, I hope the AFL has a big war chest.

I was going to write a personal message to Roo and GT to come back, but that will probably fall on deaf ears.

Go Saints in 2022.

I think Patons legend has grown in his absence. He was a really solid little defender with good skills but he was hardly Tom Stewart either.
You said the same about Jweb after he hadn't played for a time.

The reality is that Pato toweled up the best small forwards in the league on a weekly basis whilst getting good numbers at excellent DE. For the roll he was given he was A grade, and I reckon Wilkie is missing the sh1t out of him.

Last edited:

Having followed the Saints since the '60s, I can say with confidence that we have had too many bad years.

You said the same about Jweb after he hadn't played for a time.

The reality is that Pato toweled up the best small forwards in the league on a weekly basis whilst getting good numbers at excellent DE. For the roll he was given he was A grade, and I reckon Wilkie is missing the sh1t out of him.

Webster has been good since he came back he's no star but neither was Paton. I'm a fan of Pats but we seem to be using his loss as an excuse for our shithouse performance. I'd say Butler not turning up anything like the player he was has had 10 times the impact and another 4 or 5 players output dropping right away like Coffield, Long etc made it much harder to get moving than Paton out for Webster. It's not like Gary Ablett went down.

2020 we’re signs that we’re capable and we were hoping to build on that but didn’t, it’s a good chance to see why and how to the club to take the right actions. It’s a pretty good list, I think so anyway there just needs to be some adjustments and developments/ improvements to existing players to go next level. We’re pulling a 2018 demons!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe we really stuffed up last years trade and draft period and it started when we passed on a number of still available picks in last years main draft and also the rookie draft.
Instead we recruited the likes of James Frawley, Shaun McKernan, Paul Hunter and Mason Wood and all four of these players I would consider a fail, although Mason Wood has shown a bit before going down injured.
There is little doubt in my mind that we should have used our full quota of available picks in last years draft, with preference given to drafting a ruckman with at least one of these picks as we now have done in the mid season draft with Max Heath. But we could have had Heath or a player similar at the start of the year and given him a full year in the system with our club, so this opportunity has been lost.
It's my view that what we need to do now is hit this years draft with as much as we've got and bring some younger talent into the team and forget recruiting de listed players from other clubs.
And one more point, how unfortunate it was that we did not or could not identify the potential of the now Essendon player in Nick Hind who we gave away for draft picks that we didn't use. Giving Hind away for nothing was a terrible mistake by our club.

I have been a lifelong Saints member/supporter and I also have family who have played for the Saints, so my loyalty runs deep and is unwavering.

BUT this year is the WORST I have experienced (and I lived through the 80's)

* I don't connect with any of the current players other than King and Marshall
* I find the teams performances/body language insipid and lacks any character
* I experienced two of the worst losses in my living memory this year (Essendon and Adelaide)
* The lack of St Kilda heart and soul personnel at the club is worrying
* The constant building us up and tearing us down marketing strategy is extremely draining

I'm not a huge fan of the financial position that the Moorabbin move has put us in. It's going to be a tough decade coming up with COVID, I hope the AFL has a big war chest.

I was going to write a personal message to Roo and GT to come back, but that will probably fall on deaf ears.

Go Saints in 2022.

Because we lack depth it’s imperative that we put players in the positions they’re best suited to

UfPbDc3.gif

We are at Moorabbin. Not going to write an essay as many have done because I’m a hopeless typist. Anyway as i have said all year things aren’t as bad it seems when we lose and no where near as good as it seems when we win. Just go back 4 weeks and our depth was great apparently. Now it’s crap. In this case it is as bad as it seems and this is our major problem this year as we have had a heap of injuries. Replacing D grade with D grade isn’t good depth. We need to get to the stage of replacing C with C. That will solve heaps of issues. I don’t buy the crap of us being unfit. There is zero proof of that. We have won as many last quarters as most other quarters. Coaching well I have no idea and to be honest I doubt I’ve read anyone on here who would have the footy knowledge to know or they play dumb with most of their posts. Recruiting from other sides has been most very good except depth players. And we should know that if we have footy knowledge. Recruiting from the draft has been good with later picks. Early picks not so good yet. Unlike many others I’m used to Stkilda being disappointing. It worries me for the day after the loss then it’s how it’s pretty much as it’s always been. I loved 09 and 10 but I also loved the bad years. My suggestion is take footy very seriously for 24 hours and then think how lucky you are you didn’t follow Fitzroy or even south Melbourne. Considering we have the worst record of any afl side in the history of afl/ vfl enjoy you get to see us play and will for may more years. I will end with this. We will make the eight next year if 2 other players join Steele as an A grader. The fixture could easily be the easier in the afl. One in 6 chance because we are finishing 13th or worse but I still hope we win every game even if we finish 9th. Over and out. And don’t take footy so seriously after 24 hours.

I'm a broken record with this but more emphasis needs to be put on looking for players who use the ball well.

We've been butchering the ball for years.

It's great to have Jones and Crouch but we need Merrett types.

It's killing us.
Merrett turns it over a fair bit. Most good mids do because of the pressure.

I'm a broken record with this but more emphasis needs to be put on looking for players who use the ball well.

We've been butchering the ball for years.

It's great to have Jones and Crouch but we need Merrett types.

It's killing us.

Yes, please!

Oh to have a Liam Ryan type delivering the ball to Max King week after week.

Hill can kind of do that but we're not seeing it enough especially with him now running around of HBF.

Connelly made a few mistakes on the weekend but I think he is generally a nice ball user.

Still not like losing Steele or Marshall for the year. He's good player, he's not a star or irreplaceable. If someone had said you could lose Clark, Coffield or Paton for a year at the end of last season most would have said Paton.

I'd have said Coff out of those three, it's also why when I mentioned it previously it was an apparent joke because why think on hypotheticals unless it's months later right?

We brought in Highmore because identification was that we lacked in the D50, this is despite Coff existing primarily in that D50. We had Howard as FB and Wilkie as playing the other KP despite being a third, and generally struggled when the ball hit the ground since Paton plays smalls and was out, so does Geary, and Long was reinvented forward since we failed to retain the ball in despite Butler & Higgins, so it was Jweb or untried basically.

Clark by association, to me anyway, was always a mid just by the way he moved, assessed the play, positioned, and how you can see him generally playing the game. It's easier to learn it as a defender then it is as a mid or forward since you "get" work ethic, amongst other things like reading the play ahead of you with a direct opponent where any mistake leads to a score on to breed intent to create, contest and win it. Coff hasn't graduated yet and Highmore is there, so odd man out, cop that broken cheek yeah? It can go well with that sickness after the Chinese game years back, you're used to sitting out and we have a direct replacement sideways replacement.

Anywho, this year for me is structural.

Last year, it was GCS where talent became performance, because the whole "hub life allowed us to get closer to each other" was code for we were not a team, we were a collection of individuals working towards a common goal.

This season in normal progression would be creating the structures for team instances "you be here, you do this, you do that, this your zone, support this defand that; this is zone 1-12" and instead we have random breaks and this doesn't work, that bit leaked, we don't seem to have anyone leading at the ball and just waiting for it, why did Wood have to go and get injured... and blah blah.

For me, personally, as another stated previously, you plug a McCartin in that F50 and suddenly you've 3 marking targets, 2 of which who lead it (Members & McCartin) and one freak who can be tall or small as Ming + resting ruck randomly. That's a decent F50 for scoring considering one bloke ended up kicking anywhere from 2-5 goals in half a match before getting knocked our randomly. Instead, we're plugging with Wood, McKernan, Battle (who can be a KPF, but often had to bugger off to plug other gaps in the ruck or D50 as tank and big body) and instead it was Members + Ming + smalls and predictable.

That's structural not personnel exactly and that's the rest of the ten team going "you're not moving or always have an opponent as mismatches ad drop offs, here's a bomb to you to contest for the smalls." and so for me this is why then Coff lined up and played on a HFF for a match, as he reads the play in the air well, intercepts will, he can lead up and demand it, only he did none of those things so added nothing to the structure whereas Wood did the opposite because he worked to it.

So it gets delayed and some get pruned, but say we get the X faxtor mid type with Billings and "wing upgrade", if questions gets asked and you can go second X-factor with selling a Coff instead of a Ross or other likely type to be traded, I'm selling as I don't see that mid transition. In the here and now if we can Steele, Crouch and Jones with an unbroken Gresh type and speed and skill on both wings with then Hill+ X factor, you take it and back Highmore to take over and own that HBF as the structure (as again, sideways in my view) so you can then work on the two new additions in the mid and fiddle there what sets up work and what don't with then Bytels, Byrnes and co when rotating through.

Skills can be honed, but what you can't do is have disposal under pressure and rely on undersized people to be supermen, which is what we are currently expecting from from our forwards.

I'd have said Coff out of those three, it's also why when I mentioned it previously it was an apparent joke because why think on hypotheticals unless it's months later right?

We brought in Highmore because identification was that we lacked in the D50, this is despite Coff existing primarily in that D50. We had Howard as FB and Wilkie as playing the other KP despite being a third, and generally struggled when the ball hit the ground since Paton plays smalls and was out, so does Geary, and Long was reinvented forward since we failed to retain the ball in despite Butler & Higgins, so it was Jweb or untried basically.

Clark by association, to me anyway, was always a mid just by the way he moved, assessed the play, positioned, and how you can see him generally playing the game. It's easier to learn it as a defender then it is as a mid or forward since you "get" work ethic, amongst other things like reading the play ahead of you with a direct opponent where any mistake leads to a score on to breed intent to create, contest and win it. Coff hasn't graduated yet and Highmore is there, so odd man out, cop that broken cheek yeah? It can go well with that sickness after the Chinese game years back, you're used to sitting out and we have a direct replacement sideways replacement.

Anywho, this year for me is structural.

Last year, it was GCS where talent became performance, because the whole "hub life allowed us to get closer to each other" was code for we were not a team, we were a collection of individuals working towards a common goal.

This season in normal progression would be creating the structures for team instances "you be here, you do this, you do that, this your zone, support this defand that; this is zone 1-12" and instead we have random breaks and this doesn't work, that bit leaked, we don't seem to have anyone leading at the ball and just waiting for it, why did Wood have to go and get injured... and blah blah.

For me, personally, as another stated previously, you plug a McCartin in that F50 and suddenly you've 3 marking targets, 2 of which who lead it (Members & McCartin) and one freak who can be tall or small as Ming + resting ruck randomly. That's a decent F50 for scoring considering one bloke ended up kicking anywhere from 2-5 goals in half a match before getting knocked our randomly. Instead, we're plugging with Wood, McKernan, Battle (who can be a KPF, but often had to bugger off to plug other gaps in the ruck or D50 as tank and big body) and instead it was Members + Ming + smalls and predictable.

That's structural not personnel exactly and that's the rest of the ten team going "you're not moving or always have an opponent as mismatches ad drop offs, here's a bomb to you to contest for the smalls." and so for me this is why then Coff lined up and played on a HFF for a match, as he reads the play in the air well, intercepts will, he can lead up and demand it, only he did none of those things so added nothing to the structure whereas Wood did the opposite because he worked to it.

So it gets delayed and some get pruned, but say we get the X faxtor mid type with Billings and "wing upgrade", if questions gets asked and you can go second X-factor with selling a Coff instead of a Ross or other likely type to be traded, I'm selling as I don't see that mid transition. In the here and now if we can Steele, Crouch and Jones with an unbroken Gresh type and speed and skill on both wings with then Hill+ X factor, you take it and back Highmore to take over and own that HBF as the structure (as again, sideways in my view) so you can then work on the two new additions in the mid and fiddle there what sets up work and what don't with then Bytels, Byrnes and co when rotating through.

Skills can be honed, but what you can't do is have disposal under pressure and rely on undersized people to be supermen, which is what we are currently expecting from from our forwards.

Coffield was top 5 in intercept marks pg and totals and total marks and marks pg. That was in the whole competition. He's gone from potential AA to borderline AFL standard.

there's too much hiding behind what came before it for mine. it's always because we started from such a low point. problem is the low point ain't so low anymore, given they made finals last year. there's a base. its serviceable, mainly due to the aggressive rebuild lethers undertook, completely re-modelling the footy department. if what we ain't cutting it then changes need to be made.

IMO Riewoldt absolutely nailed it on the couch. great club's stick to a process. they don't abandon it because they've had a couple of good or bad weeks.

we are capable of being a good club IMO. how do we go from good to great?

We have had a very disappointing year , heartbreaking really - but knowing where we came from before Ratten we are heading in the right direction.

Our spine is just about there Howard - XXXX - Steele - XXXX - King
Find those 2 missing pieces that can mark and we are set.
If you have a contested marking CHB and CHF they can get out of all kinds of problems.
All of a sudden they midfielders who can't kick are somehow finding these big guys are marking everything.
Imagine if we had Darcy Moore at CHB and Naughton at CHF , we would be unbeatable with only 2 additions to the side.
Darcy Moore is a RFA next year and the Pies could well get rid of him now get more for him.

Last edited:
Coffield was top 5 in intercept marks pg and totals and total marks and marks pg. That was in the whole competition. He's gone from potential AA to borderline AFL standard.

Untrue, hence the if and hypothetical.

Also, if you don't like a potential answer to a question posed, don't ask it.

Parish went from a spud last year that no one wanted so he stayed at the Dons to now being there best inside mid and he is 24 , Coffield is still 21 and be patient I know it's hard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back