WHERE ARE WE AT? WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aaah a reasoned post, the only problem is who is the coach that is willing to come here? Clarko? Doubt it. Sam Mitchell? Yeah don't think he'd come here either.

Who else would be willing?
Eddie being gone and having Wright on board is a step in the right direction. Should give a new coach a bit more confidence he/she will have autonomy.

Don't follow rugby really. All I know is that success (ultimate) seems to follow this guy and he looks like a standup bloke. No pretence. No fanfare. I reckon it would be an inspiring appointment with Wright Maxwell and others by his side.
I think as footy has become more tactically complex it's going to be much harder for someone to crossover from another sport - I think it would have been a great idea 40 years ago though - but we were too conservative back then.

Too early to tell where we are at, but if Buckley's demeanour is any guide, it looks as if the season is finished. For three weeks running, Bucks looks as if the fire and the passion is gone. The signs are not encouraging.
Yeah, I'm not convinced that he'll want to go around again - even if it's an option. He had a bloody horrible off season professionally and personally. I don't think our season is over though - think we've looked alright so far and should be pushing for the finals.

Yeah, I'm not convinced that he'll want to go around again - even if it's an option. He had a bloody horrible off season professionally and personally. I don't think our season is over though - think we've looked alright so far and should be pushing for the finals.
Did a ladder predictor the other night and had us at 10th. We shall see I suppose.

Weber had close to our best 22 and it hasn’t been good enough, where the improvement gonna come from?

Less errors. Improved fitness as the year goes on. We should have put them away in the first half.
That applies to all teams though. I imagine next time we crack at Brisbane they won’t be in a position where we can put them away at half time.

The way I see it most of our improvement can come about from Buckley making smart tactical moves to get the best out of our players and to adapt the way the game’s opened up with the new rule changes.

I don’t have faith he’ll make the changes necessary though as he’s too conservative.

We can also hope one of draftees comes in and has a bigger than anticipated impact. I didn’t follow enough of them to make a call but Macrae seems the most likely to me to come in and make a real difference.

Would rather be bottom 4 than 7th to 12th
Why? So we can trade the pick for a established player and then trade that player a few years later anyway
Or
Pick the player in the top 10 which actually turns out to be one of the best players in the draft and then trade thar player for peanuts 3 years later.?

Was reading threads from Round 3 2018. Exact same complaints about list quality, leadership, and needing to play the young players and toss in the towel for the season. 1-2 record and no hope then. 1-2 record and no hope now.

I'm not saying we'll do a 2018. (my fear is something like 10-12 wins, a couple spots out of finals.

But on the other hand there's something I like: namely the new "stand" rule, which I didn't want when I heard of it, seems to have made football fun to watch again. There is running and gunning and scoring. And kicking and screaming Collingwood has had to play that kind of game. The Dogs live off it and we lost. Carlton doesn't and we won. Brisbane had the right answers at the right times and we lost by a point. A lousy after the siren point to last year's home-and-away runner ups.

Yes a win would have "papered over cracks" but what team doesn't have cracks? I'm not ready to quit yet. Next week is a GWS side that is 0-3 and needs a win. They've also had our number the last few seasons. Then West Coast. I'd say we should win the GWS game, but regardless, the WCE game is the 'show me' game. If they fight and win or keep it close, then I know they have heart. If they fold like cards, then yeah we can write off the season.

Who hasn't played a VFL game yet? Please, tell me. Henry played one game of AFL and got dropped, I mean FFS, if they had of persisted he may have played awesome the next. Who's another that played first up.. Stephenson? How'd he go? What about Wills - how many VFL games did he play and get all ready for the big time until he dominated like you predicted?
The season hasn't started yet, so the whole 2020 draft class, Henry aside (Who looked absolutely terrible btw) If they persisted he may have been awesome. Or not. I mean if Henry was our most ready kid, thank christ we didn't play any of the others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s a shell off a club and team at the moment.
Collingwood team spirit that has keeped us competitive and been a reason we have most grand final appearances through the ages is showing through.
Our biggest nemesis has bitten us again, our inability to manage ourselves when we get things right.

Check our history- build, just miss out on premiership- implode!
Rinse and repeat for my 40 + years as a supporter/member.

We will rebuild soon after the summers implosion.

Go pies

We’ve taken some important steps already

- Ed gone
- Graham Wright appointed who will hopefully sort out the list management issues.

Next steps
- Replace Hine but keep him at the club in a scouting role. His failure to recruit anything resembling KPF is damning IMO

- Keep Buckley and resign on a 2 year deal.

- Replace all current assistant coaches. Harvey / Sanderson see you later. Bring in some fresh experienced personnel with premiership experience.

Reinvigorate the list - no need to bottom out whilst we have Grundy, Moore etc on our list
- Hit the draft next 2 years
- Bring in key position position players ( Full back, and KPF - via trades)

We can return to being a competitive top 4 club in 2-3 years if we get it together.

Go Pies

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

We’ve taken some important steps already

- Ed gone
- Graham Wright appointed who will hopefully sort out the list management issues.

Next steps
- Replace Hine but keep him at the club in a scouting role. His failure to recruit anything resembling KPF is damning IMO

- Keep Buckley and resign on a 2 year deal.

- Replace all current assistant coaches. Harvey / Sanderson see you later. Bring in some fresh experienced personnel with premiership experience.

Reinvigorate the list - no need to bottom out whilst we have Grundy, Moore etc on our list
- Hit the draft next 2 years
- Bring in key position position players ( Full back, and KPF - via trades)

We can return to being a competitive top 4 club in 2-3 years if we get it together.

Go Pies

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Interesting comments above.

In particular the keep Buckley and surround him with premiership experience assistants. I've heard this theme many times before and I keep wondering why would these assistants agree to such an arrangement? And also why wouldn't you just replace Buckley with these premiership experience assistants (assuming they wan't to be senior coaches) and be done with it?

It’s a shell off a club and team at the moment.
Collingwood team spirit that has keeped us competitive and been a reason we have most grand final appearances through the ages is showing through.
Our biggest nemesis has bitten us again, our inability to manage ourselves when we get things right.

Check our history- build, just miss out on premiership- implode!
Rinse and repeat for my 40 + years as a supporter/member.

We will rebuild soon after the summers implosion.

Go pies

"Our biggest nemesis has bitten us again, our inability to manage ourselves when we get things right."

This is so true. Any thoughts on why this happens? There seems to be a self sabotage pattern of once the club achieves ultimate success, navigated by non Collingwood men (Matthews and Malthouse), it reverts back to Collingwood people and all that that stands for. McGuire in particular should have known better. He replaced a past premiership captain (Shaw) with Malthouse and then after ultimate success replaced a non Collingwood man with a past Collingwood player. I mean how stupid is that.

Too early to tell where we are at, but if Buckley's demeanour is any guide, it looks as if the season is finished. For three weeks running, Bucks looks as if the fire and the passion is gone. The signs are not encouraging.
I thought Buckley's demeanour in the post match press conference was surprisingly upbeat and expansive and optimistic. The previous week after the win against Carlton he looked like he had swallowed a lemon the whole conference, but he was the polar opposite on Thursday night.

I'm not quite sure what to make of it.

Maybe he saw some signs about how he wants the team to play? Maybe he had been quietly informed that he was going to get a 2 year extension? Maybe his personal issues have been settled?

Clarko will have a sniff unless the Hawkers chuck mega bucks at him, Wright will have that phone number at the top of his list. Ross Lyon would kill to coach a big club again and Brad Scott would too. Sam Mitchell would be gettable if he was the right fit as would Giansiracusa, Burns, Caracella, Stevie J, O'Bree, et al....there are many assistant coaches who would jump at the offer.
Roos may be past wanting to coach again but could oversee the process (though Wright should be able to handle the task!)

How many do you want?

Why would any decent coach wanna come here? Give our list management, that's already a distraction for the players let alone a coach trying to unify the squad. Then you've go the do better report - another distraction.

I get there is challenges that you can sink your teeth into but this is next level.

We can't throw megabucks because of soft cap, but we're going to need to coerce somebody somehow. There is no known universe where this is an attractive proposition for a coach.

Too many mid sized one paced players on our list. I don't really see much in the way of emerging young talent to get excited about either. Given that we seem to be entering another golden era for forwards I'd love us to gut our list to get both the King brothers. That'd set us for long term sustained success.

What is the difference between 6 mths and a yr? I really don't see any re.

Gym and comradery are definitely big things. And you left a few things out there. And if he's outperforming other players on the pitch at training at bars and clubs and that re.. get him in there.

I'm no expert but we're talking about a pre season and before that no for footy for a season. I'd rather not just throw em in the top level, give em time to develop at a lower level re..

We're a team with some stars, but we're carrying 4-5 passengers every week. The list lacks depth.

Also makes no sense to sign players like Greenwood and then play absolute grubs like Hoskin-Elliot and Callum Brown over him. Greenwood would give us 5 times as much as both of them combined.

Eddie being gone and having Wright on board is a step in the right direction. Should give a new coach a bit more confidence he/she will have autonomy.

Makes it less unattractive sure, but there's a lot of distractions to deal with, more than any other club.

If a coach would have a choice between a team with potential future vs a team with potential future and whole lotta bs on the side, which one do you think the coach would choose?

I just don't see any coach of any note falling over themselves to get here, and the reasons are obvious.

We need a fresh start after all the BS that's happened: racism report, Ed quitting, salary cap stuff up, JDG's pending court case, Grundy's form slump, the never ending speculation about Buckley. All of these things can be addressed by the end of this year and hopefully a new era can begin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back