Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
They we ruthless. They played like that against us last time we played them. we got slaughtered and they weren't even pushed

have we got the cattle to become better than the hawks? Where is our ruthlessness? Do we have any?

There well drilled.. Very well skilled. Sydney were barely touching the ball early.
Every player plays there part for the team..
They might only ever have 3-5 players lose to there opposing player..
The rest all break even atleast if not win.
We constantly have half our team less then 10 touches..
Which doesn't all mean much.. But when they're opposing players are getting 25 it makes the game fairly 1 sided.

• Banned
I said to a mate yesterday, we may be watching one of the greatest teams in history. 3 GF and no doubt more to come. They are ruthless. the ymust be our benchmark. we may have to beat them one day soon..

• Banned
Must be pretty close to dropping a few spots..
Take out
Mitchell
Lake
Hodge
Burgoyne
Hale
Gibson
All 30 and over.. You expect them to drop out of top 4 by end of 2016
they have proven too smart for that. they will recruit well. better than the pies i'll bet.....

edit, how many of them were in the side that beat us and won last season?

Must be pretty close to dropping a few spots..
Take out
Mitchell
Lake
Hodge
Burgoyne
Hale
Gibson
All 30 and over.. You expect them to drop out of top 4 by end of 2016
I can see where you're coming from; most of their older players are contracted until the end of 2015.

They do have some strong prospects, though.

Big Post Incoming

The Hawks' ruckman stocks will be set for years. Jon Ceglar (23) and Ben McEvoy (25) are ready replacements for Hale (30). They also have Luke Lowden in the background (frequently overlooked despite doing very well in the VFL - he's 23 and on the cusp of that peak age bracket for ruckman, too). Hale is contracted until the end of 2015, and depending how he feels, may get another contract extension and go another round in 2016. He seems pretty keen so long as he's playing well and enjoying the game.

I can see Luke Hodge easily going another year on this season's form. This is probably the most consistent, injury-light season the guy has strung together in my mind. Sam Mitchell is simply awesome and looks like he could play as long as he's able to kick a football.

The rise of Will Langford and a couple more years of AFL could be telling for their midfield, and the fact Jordan Lewis has become one of the most dangerous inside-mids is telling. Their outside run prospects look perfectly fine with Isaac Smith (25) and Brad Hill (21) looking pretty domineering at the moment, but you have guys like Billy Hartung (19) in their reserves that could pop up as future stars (the guy is full of natural talent and once kicked 20 straight goals in one game in his junior days, and in 2013 set a new NAB AFL Draft Combine record by running a 16.6 beep test - beating Brad Hill's old record of 16.1 in 2011). A lot of there other stars are still young, too; Cyril Rioli (25), Luke Breust (23), and Liam Shiels (23). Even Taylor Duryea (23) is on the rise (getting nine possessions in under one quarter as a super-substitute for the Grand Final against Sydney). Jack Gunston (22) is also one of the best young forwards going around; that just goes without saying.

The biggest losses will probably be Josh Gibson and Brian Lake. They could probably replace Gibson with an emerging Angus Litherland (21), though. Another monster defender will be hard to find unless they get a hold of free-agent James Frawley (doubtless).

If they do get hold of Frawley, I can see them remaining Top Four for another half-a-decade. If not, it really depends how Ryan Schoenmakers turns out (huge question marks there).

Last edited:
I'd say we're probably about 4 years behind them, even now

They'll go after james.frawley as ideal.replacement.for.Brian lake
Comparing Frawley with Lake is like buying a Great Wall after you've had a Mercedes for the past half-decade. But, I do agree that it's likely. Freo/Cats/Hawks are all in their premiership window (Geelong not so much anymore imo) and can offer the coin he wants. Wouldn't surprise me!

But what can we do, what do we need to change, which direction are we going in playing style that gets us in the top 4?

What I saw on GF day was ruthless. the swans weren't bad. they still would have beaten almost every team in the comp.

Is it recruitment?
coach?
what?

Is it recruitment?
coach?
what?
They have a lot of talent on their list but the football department is surely a big part of it. Four grand finals in seven seasons is a great return, Clarko seems to be a deadset champion.

If we are going to move Bluey on we surely have to sweep out the whole football department and obtain personnel who we are confident are more capable of getting the best out of the group.

The number of on-field leaders is a concern for us as I think most people already recognise. Luke Hodge is consistently praised by his peers for his leadership but he is not alone. I have no doubt we have a few younger players within the group that will become adept in this area but my gut says that starting at the bottom with the core of the group inhibits their ability to really command authority over some players. Grabbing one or two blokes like Mal should really help in the short-term and as the younger draftees roll in year after year blokes like Lynch and Swallow should mature into the role nicely.

I'm not really convinced we are sufficiently cashed up to compete with the big boys in footy department spend though.

I'm not really convinced we are sufficiently cashed up to compete with the big boys in footy department spend though.
Does the AFL have a cap of any sort in regards to this? Or quite simply the richer you are, the more you have to spend on this kind of thing?

Does the AFL have a cap of any sort in regards to this? Or quite simply the richer you are, the more you have to spend on this kind of thing?
Richer you are, more you can spend

The AFL has just recently imposed a soft limit where clubs who exceed this have to contribute to a fund which is distributed to poorer clubs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richer you are, more you can spend

The AFL has just recently imposed a soft limit where clubs who exceed this have to contribute to a fund which is distributed to poorer clubs

Is that right? I didn't know that :)

Eddie must LOVE that

Suns should invest in a pub/club with pokies. Not only would it be a source of income (eventually, once the start-up investment has been repayed), but it would give fans a place to watch other non-Suns games on the coast. As Suns fans, we don't really have anywhere that we all congregate before or after games.

Brissy Lions have the Piney/Chalk, the Roar fans have Hotel LA (or whatever it's called), Broncos fans have the Broncos Leagues Club, etc. Makes me sad that we're left outside alone (and it's cold out here). Maybe they should know. Just how it feels. To be left outside alone.

Suns should invest in a pub/club with pokies. Not only would it be a source of income (eventually, once the start-up investment has been repayed), but it would give fans a place to watch other non-Suns games on the coast. As Suns fans, we don't really have anywhere that we all congregate before or after games.

Brissy Lions have the Piney/Chalk, the Roar fans have Hotel LA (or whatever it's called), Broncos fans have the Broncos Leagues Club, etc. Makes me sad that we're left outside alone (and it's cold out here). Maybe they should know. Just how it feels. To be left outside alone.
All my life I've been waiting

I can see where you're coming from; most of their older players are contracted until the end of 2015.

They do have some strong prospects, though.

Big Post Incoming

The Hawks' ruckman stocks will be set for years. Jon Ceglar (23) and Ben McEvoy (25) are ready replacements for Hale (30). They also have Luke Lowden in the background (frequently overlooked despite doing very well in the VFL - he's 23 and on the cusp of that peak age bracket for ruckman, too). Hale is contracted until the end of 2015, and depending how he feels, may get another contract extension and go another round in 2016. He seems pretty keen so long as he's playing well and enjoying the game.

I can see Luke Hodge easily going another year on this season's form. This is probably the most consistent, injury-light season the guy has strung together in my mind. Sam Mitchell is simply awesome and looks like he could play as long as he's able to kick a football.

The rise of Will Langford and a couple more years of AFL could be telling for their midfield, and the fact Jordan Lewis has become one of the most dangerous inside-mids is telling. Their outside run prospects look perfectly fine with Isaac Smith (25) and Brad Hill (21) looking pretty domineering at the moment, but you have guys like Billy Hartung (19) in their reserves that could pop up as future stars (the guy is full of natural talent and once kicked 20 straight goals in one game in his junior days, and in 2013 set a new NAB AFL Draft Combine record by running a 16.6 beep test - beating Brad Hill's old record of 16.1 in 2011). A lot of there other stars are still young, too; Cyril Rioli (25), Luke Breust (23), and Liam Shiels (23). Even Taylor Duryea (23) is on the rise (getting nine possessions in under one quarter as a super-substitute for the Grand Final against Sydney). Jack Gunston (22) is also one of the best young forwards going around; that just goes without saying.

The biggest losses will probably be Josh Gibson and Brian Lake. They could probably replace Gibson with an emerging Angus Litherland (21), though. Another monster defender will be hard to find unless they miraculously get a hold of free-agent James Frawley (doubtful).

If they do get hold of Frawley, I can see them remaining Top Four for another half-a-decade. If not, it really depends how Ryan Schoenmakers turns out (huge question marks there).

Great post, clearly some Hawk knowledge there!!

Add to that we currently have the last 3 JJ Liston trophy (Brownlow of the VFL) players on our list in Ben Ross 2012, Mitch Hallahan 2013, and this years winner Alex Woodward, the last 2 are hard inside mids, absolutely ready to replace B Sewell & push for other midfield spots in 2015. Jed Anderson also returns to the fold having played 6 promising games in our senior side in 2013.

Interesting thread guys and looking forward to seeing GAblett and the Suns back in 2015!!

Yeah that's gonna suck lol - But even a blind squirrel can find a nut every so often
3 years ago I said on a forum Alex Leapai would fight for a world title. I was castigated. I was told I knew nothing about boxing, loved coco's, etc, etc. But look what happened.

By the way, there was no 'hahaha' rubbish. That's not how I play the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back