Strategy Where are we going as a football team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah nah. We have enough good talent 28 years old and under to push again in 2-4 years. Accept that this year was going to be a down one (many could see it in November, glad you're all starting to wake up), see which kids have what it takes, start again next year with a new coach.

FB: Maynard, ______, Noble
HB: Quaynor, Moore, Crisp
C: J.Daicos, ______, ______
HF: Elliott, Kelly, ______
FF: Mihocek, ______, ______
F: T.Brown, Grundy, Adams
INT: ______, Henry, Macrae, McCreery

So our future midfield is Daicos, unknown, unknown, Tyler Brown and a 31 year old Adams?

Mihocek and Elliot will also be over 31 and probably struggle to get games/injury, Kelly still hasn't shown he will be an AFL player.

So our future midfield is Daicos, unknown, unknown, Tyler Brown and a 31 year old Adams?

Mihocek and Elliot will also be over 31 and probably struggle to get games/injury, Kelly still hasn't shown he will be an AFL player.
Maaannn I'm trying to find some positives lol, need some hope. I genuinely reckon our core players in their 20s are alright.

Every flag winning wide has a bunch of 30-33 year olds

Maaannn I'm trying to find some positives lol, need some hope. I genuinely reckon our core players in their 20s are alright.

Every flag winning wide has a bunch of 30-33 year olds

You can be hopeful if you want, truth is we'll probably still be in a rebuild in 2 years time, then need a few years of development until those kids and our current ones find their feet.

That's true and from that point of view it is harsh. But I can honestly say that under Bucks, for 80% of the time I haven't really enjoyed watching them play. And if he did manage to get them to the top in 2018, credit to him, but he was unable to sustain it for any length of time, and back down we go.
May be just a coincidence that we did well in 2018 when Bucks openly admitted to taking a back seat role that year.

Yeah nah. We have enough good talent 28 years old and under to push again in 2-4 years. Accept that this year was going to be a down one (many could see it in November, glad you're all starting to wake up), see which kids have what it takes, start again next year with a new coach.

FB: Maynard, ______, Noble
HB: Quaynor, Moore, Crisp
C: J.Daicos, ______, ______
HF: Elliott, Kelly, ______
FF: Mihocek, ______, ______
F: T.Brown, Grundy, Adams
INT: ______, Henry, Macrae, McCreery

I think the concern is that there aren’t enough players with “star” quality in this group, something which you generally need in a premiership team.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure well respected by the playing group. Is doing a great job devloping playing the kids, which he will continue to do whether coach or not. Thats where he sees himself now i believe. In this capacity 10yrs experience counts immensely.

As a gameday coach, gameplan, some strategic assistance wouldnt go astray. Quality assistants please.

If club finds a superior candidate then its from a narrow field of knowns. Outside of that i dont think an unknown is the answer. Youd only trade up.

Were going ok, we were oldest list last year. Now we are 12th oldest so thats a significant shift, direction. This is so we dont drop off for too many years. Weve corrected our spending, have $$ for trade period, within AFL salary cap squeeze which will continue in all clubs, sports, as sponsors, broadcasters looking for value to continue after Global Pandemic impacts continue to be felt.

Be proud weve got the smarts to stay ahead of the issues rather than treadwater - this is the modern footy. Troughs and peaks.

Nick Daicos so far ahead as #1, 6 x top 30 talent from draft. Its exciting times ahead.

Last edited:
May be just a coincidence that we did well in 2018 when Bucks openly admitted to taking a back seat role that year.

We were seeing evidence of ability, development in 2016 and 2017. Did Longmuir propel Grundy into elite 2018/19 form? Or was that Pebbles?
Good assistants lift playing group, guys relax, can be on more of a mate even playing field and interact at levels they cant with senior coach at times.

Well I thought the same thing until everyone here was saying that those years were mainly down to Justin Longmuir.

Was that Matt Rendell? Didnt he predict GCS and GWS will compete for 10 premierships in 5yrs between them?

I think he attributes that comment to Maynard, perhaps the hb carry out of defense Pies of 2018 were Longmuirs. Against Tuggys in 2019 was different, was high possession high mark zone mid tempo footy the Tuggys couldnt touch it - the following week we tried that against WCE who just belted it fwd, played in front, going slow didnt work. Gameplans adjust.

At start of 2020 gave doggies 52pt thumping rnd 1 were Prem faves again....covid struck....

The same Bucks haters are now Bevo lovers...

Last edited:

I think a midfield of N. Daicos, J. Daicos & Macrae today would probably be better than what we fielded last weekend, let alone in 5 years time.

Tyler Brown shouldn't be on that list. He's a dud like his brother Callum.

These Unknowns. Are they brothers?

Good interview with Anderson on SEN just now.

I got the impression that the brass are giving Wright the freedom to assess the list over a period of time, with a view to setting medium term goals once he is better acquainted with what we have. The point was made that this is precisely what Wright was hired for and that he will have the breathing space to do the job properly.

Anderson was a lot less defensive and obstinate than he was earlier in the year and this gives me some hope that the club are keeping a more open mind about what needs to be done on the football side. Less "we are Collingwood and we will do what we want, so get stuffed and those fans who don't understand our (terrible) list management decisions simply aren't smart enough to understand them" ... and more ... "we are doing the work and our strategies will be led by the information we uncover".

That left me feeling a little bit more hopeful that the club has its eyes open now and have moved away from the siege mentality that wasn't going to let us improve. Maybe that's the absence of the spector of Ed. I guess we'll never know.

Good interview with Anderson on SEN just now.

I got the impression that the brass are giving Wright the freedom to assess the list over a period of time, with a view to setting medium term goals once he is better acquainted with what we have. The point was made that this is precisely what Wright was hired for and that he will have the breathing space to do the job properly.

Anderson was a lot less defensive and obstinate than he was earlier in the year and this gives me some hope that the club are keeping a more open mind about what needs to be done on the football side. Less "we are Collingwood and we will do what we want, so get stuffed and those fans who don't understand our (terrible) list management decisions simply aren't smart enough to understand them" ... and more ... "we are doing the work and our strategies will be led by the information we uncover".

That left me feeling a little bit more hopeful that the club has its eyes open now and have moved away from the siege mentality that wasn't going to let us improve. Maybe that's the absence of the spector of Ed. I guess we'll never know.

Maybe, but it's a bit late now, another window out the window - again, nah this club never learns Wright or no Wright.

IF What you suspect is true and we do turn it around, then the club should still be punished for all of the wasted opportunities to that point.

Nah fk em, should bend all of those w****** over and shove a pineapple so far up their rear that they'll poke someone in the eye every time they speak. Seriously pissed off with this club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back