Strategy Where are we going as a football team?

Remove this Banner Ad

It is said that to repeatedly do the same thing and expect a different outcome is the definition of insanity.

Week after week after week we essentially pick the same stodgy players, in the same positions, and play the same dour, unimaginative “game plan” and (surprise, surprise) get the same results.

It’s time for significant change, starting with the coaching panel. But that won’t happen with acting co-Presidents. So we need to get that sorted - and much earlier than the end of the season.

I can’t think of any aspect of the Club that could be considered close to “best practice”.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
One of the things that nearly all football shows have hit us with (since Saturday) is the lack of development of our players by our coaches and how we appear to remove their strengths or do not play to them and pigeon hole players into a role or position that they are not suited to and then leave them there. One stat that did stand out was DeGoey was 7th in AFL in past 4 years for winning contested 1 on 1 marks. However, the Pies have kicked it to him the least of our forwards since mid last year

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Collingwood right now is not a place where players can flourish, and in fact I'd argue it's a place that almost ruins careers. If I was entering the draft, it's not currently where I'd want to go. Would De Goey be reaching his potential if he was elsewhere? Impossible to answer, but he'd definitely have kicked more goals.

Drove past the Whitten Oval today, and there was our boy Treloar training with his new teammates.
Just heartbreaking to see. Whatever our future is, we need to make sure we never treat a player like that again.

Drove past the Whitten Oval today, and there was our boy Treloar training with his new teammates.
Just heartbreaking to see. Whatever our future is, we need to make sure we never treat a player like that again.
He will win a flag with that list. Good luck to him. He will have the last laugh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have been trying to get my head about what has happened particularly over the last 8 months. It seems to me that it was inevitable given what I now perceive to be an arrogant administration and coaching panel.

I have always supported Buckley and the administration but I must say the last 8 months have challenged me to continue to do so. The treatment of Treloar was inexcusable, irrespective of his perceived foot skill flaws he never deserved to be treated as a useless overpaid footballer. He was shown zero respect.

So, where to now. Firstly the administration needs to do the necessary appointments and show solidarity to the football department and the members And supporters. At the moment our club is a joke and I am sick and tired of journalists having a field day with us.

The coaching panel needs a complete overhaul. To many coaches have been there too the long. First and formost Buckley and Harvey.

Then we need to get in tune with what effect the rule changes have had. It is obvious, except to our coaching panel, that to win games and be competitive you need the following basic elements in a team

* Foot and hand skills
* Direct and fast movement
* A key full forward or KPP to take advantage of the ball coming in fast to the forward line.
* Players who can think on their feet.

With that in mind and considering our current list of “experienced players“ we have the following who don’t fit the bill, some can be excused for what they otherwise bring to the team, ie Pendles Sidebottom,Adams and maybe Roughead.

Noble ( I accept he doesn’t fit the experienced category but I don’t see any upside, his kicking is atrocious)
Mayne
Thomas
Cox
C Brown( see comment on Noble)
Magden ( see comment on Noble )
Greenwood
If we are fair dinkum about being competitive this year( unlikely ) and future years then we need before the mid season break to do as a bare minimum the following.

From the Club

* Make what appointments are necessary in the administration
* Appoint a new head coach
* Get rid of Harvey and Sanderson
*Appoint a full time ruck coach

From the squad

I accept this is difficult due to the long term injuries to Adams and Elliott, but pick teams revolving around the following

Backs

Maynard Roughead( to be replaced by Keane) Quaynor
Crisp Moore Howe

Centre Forwards

Murphy Sidebottom Daicos
DeGoey Mihocek WHE
Kelly Cameron Mcceery

Ruck
Grundy Macrae Pendles

Interchange

Sier, T Brown,Henry, McInnes

When Elliott and Adams return the. They replace McInnes and T Brown. Hopefully some or all of the younger players not mentioned progress in the VFL and put pressure on the above team.

We cannot continue to play slow one dimensional poor skilled players.
We cannot be coached to play slow sideways defensive movement under the rules changes.
We cannot continue to be on in the spotlight on a daily basis
We cannot NOT apologise to Treloar for the disgraceful way he was treated.

If you managed to read all of this thanks for your time. I don’t think in all the years I have been posting that I have vented my spleen but I am so over what I consider to be total mismanagement of a football club and its players and supporters. Obviously I will always support the Pies and have done so for over 60 years but the current situation is appalling and was so unnessessary.

Cheers
Surfer1

Last edited:
I actually have a genuine dislike for Bucks. He is one selfish operator. Was hints of it in his playing days and murmurings of player unrest because he was too hard to work with.

Im sick of his cliche rambling crap in the pressers. He needs to admit hs failure and resign.

Eddie is no better, im glad he is gone. All the good he did for our club , he has un done in the past 10 years and set us back more than people can imagine.

Really disappointed at the admin side of our club.

I actually have a genuine dislike for Bucks. He is one selfish operator. Was hints of it in his playing days and murmurings of player unrest because he was too hard to work with.

Im sick of his cliche rambling crap in the pressers. He needs to admit hs failure and resign.

Eddie is no better, im glad he is gone. All the good he did for our club , he has un done in the past 10 years and set us back more than people can imagine.

Really disappointed at the admin side of our club.
I have a genuine affection for Bucks, so at least we balance each other out.

Sack them?
Admittedly, 3 might be hard to replace at the moment, but would we really notice any difference?
Sack all three and we have to pay out their contracts.
Where are the replacements coming from and how do we pay them?

It's a sad situation. Any other industry, they all would have been sacked by now for their thundering incompetence. But we have to put up with them.
Well at least you admit to being wrong. That’s something we can build on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back