Strategy Where are we going as a football team?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll give the contrary position given we are not contending. Unless we are certain we have secured a high level or targeted coach it would be patently ridiculous to give the job the a caretaker.
You are then have a caretaker who may want and get the job, a 'replace the coach process' that have gone nowhere and you get a short term dead cat bounce among the playing group. It's simply not the way you treat a legend of the club particularly in a framework with no prez., a new GM of Football and some simmering post trade tensions.
If you want to reset the club ( which is a perfectly reasonable position) you do it with structure, planning and process.

Think more Tony Shaw than Brad Scott..
You needn’t publically sack Bucks. He can step down either ostensibly or sincerely. Give skipworth the caretaker gig and make it clear he won’t be considered for the main role. Then give Wrighty $4.50 to buy Sam Mitchell a flat white with one.

You needn’t publically sack Bucks. He can step down either ostensibly or sincerely. Give skipworth the caretaker gig and make it clear he won’t be considered for the main role. Then give Wrighty $4.50 to buy Sam Mitchell a flat white with one.
Pure fantasy.
Bucks is coach, and will remain coach until his contract is finished.

I think it will probably play out like you say,
but I think we stand to gain more by making the change now.
No, we stand to lose more. PR would be a disaster for no actual gain.
We can’t appoint anyone, so why do it? Would also piss off many of the players.
It’s an insane idea that thankfully won’t happen.

If you try something different you might not get any change. If you don’t try something different you definitely won’t get any change.

we don’t agree often, but we agree on this. There’s no reason to sack bucks before the end of season.

Plenty of reasons.

Most importantly to steer the club in the right direction. At least the caretaker coach can heed direction from higher up of where they want the club going onfield. As opposed to Bucks coaching for his career who may not give a stuff about 5 years down track , his only vision is winning each game to save his own skin. Which is great , but he has had 10 years to build a game plan and style.

Players on the outer with Bucks may be given a fresh chance by the caretaker coach , notably Sier. Favourites may not be gifted games , WHE , Thomas, Mayne, Madgen,

List decisions may be made on Murphy, Wilson, Keane , Tohill and others who have been on the list for a while and not gotten a game. Kids may be played

I'm not in favour of sacking Bucks to get a caretaker in, because if there is an improvement in performances until the end of the season there will be pressure on what will be a new administration to hire him full time, even though we haven't gone through a comprehensive process to ensure he is the right man for the job. The new coach bounce happens every time a coach is sacked, but the performances aren't always sustainable.

If we're without a coach because Bucks walks, then one of the assistants can take over temporarily. However, it needs to be made clear from the start (and publicly) that the caretaker will not be considered for the senior role. We'd potentially do ourselves out of a possible candidate, but it is the only way that the recruitment process could begin early enough without being compromised.

If the intention is to sack Bucks, we tell him now that the intention is to move him on at the end of the year and we issue a directive to him to play more youth for the rest of the season so that we can assess the quality of our young talent. He then has to decide if he stays. If he doesn't, one of his assistants can take over under the conditions set out above. If he does, then we go into a mini rebuild until the end of the season to pump 10 to 18 games into 5 to 8 young players.

Either way, we then commence the coach shortlisting and recruitment process immediately, to give ourselves the most time to make the best possible decision. It also gives us time to work with the incoming coach to design a program and group of assistants that fits in with his and the club's vision.

We then attack the draft and free agency as hard as we can, with a view to bouncing back up the ladder next year, with a well thought out plan about how to do it.

It's a sad situation. Any other industry, they all would have been sacked by now for their thundering incompetence. But we have to put up with them.
I think it's more about our failure to move on the dead wood. If we had replaced Harvey and Sanderson at the end of the season, I think the fresh faces would have been appreciated by the playing group, who have been listening to the same voices for 6 or so years.

Now, the lack of addressing that, results in a stale coaching group, that Bucks can't distance himself from - so he's included too.

My view has been, for Bucks to survive, he can't be hanging onto his best mates - other clubs change their assistants, what makes or underperforming assistants so special?
Answer.. they've got their own little get rich boys club - protected species by the board.

We need complete restructure !
From the president position through to coaching staff admin and players.....We now have an ageing list (at least 10 players) our salary cap is still shot we cannot recruit any gun players and we are in for a few years in the wilderness all thanks to this current group of thick heads. We did this to ourselves the people responsible MUST GO AND GO QUICKLY

The problem isn't the supporters - supporters didn't create the cluster f**k that is our salary cap, or trade quality starting 18 players out for paper clips. Nor mismanage the list for the past 5-7 years with ill conceived trades, or retaining injured players.

Our club has not been able to build a dynasty like Geelong, Hawthorn, and Richmond. Sustained success over a 7-8 year period with 2-3 flags in that time should be our aspiration. Each time we get a competitive list, the club can't seem to maintain the momentum. Culturally we seem to lose the plot.

Going backwards in my view isn't the necessarily the recipe for success. Exhibit 1 Carlton, Essendon, Melbourne etc etc. These clubs have had many 1st round draft picks and are yet to play any meaningful role in finals for years.

In terms of DeGoey - if he is found guilty later this year he will be worth nothing and most likely delisted. In anycase, given our poor trading over the past few years what makes you think we will get "great draft picks" for him? History would say we are poor at the trade table.

It's a long way back. Where do we find a KPF of the calibre the top clubs have?

what I find upsetting Collingwood has played is 13 finals series out of the last 20 years for 6 gfs and 1 premiership. In the same period hawthorn have won 4 and Geelong 3!!

One day Collingwood may get a dynasty but our biggest issue is the bloody arrogance of this club

Which players would it piss off?

All of the players except those it didn't piss off.... and maybe the 1-2 who would be completely ambivalent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me we need a hefty introduction of class and need a change of assistant coaches to freaking things up, if Buckley still has the players playing for him he stays for me...if he doesn’t then move him on before the seasons out so we can openly and actively source an alternative...and have first dibs on the best. Problem is I wouldn’t trust any of our assistants to coach, they are shocking.

Moore up forward last night proved it’s not personnel that is the issue forward of the ball, but the quality of our ball movement and delivery.

I think we need to make some drastic changes in that regard. I would trade one of Sidebottom Or Pendlebury and definitely demote Pendlebury from captaincy. They still have quality as players but cannot be relied upon as prime movers. If Petracca is getable, I think we go for him!

I am torn on Degoey, and it’s hard to know whether his indifferent form is due to his off field issues or whether he doesn’t have the focus to become the player we all hoped. He doesn’t get enough of it, and when he does he can be wasteful. Trade for petracca would be a great outcome.

If we are to become contenders players with their current skill sets and attributes that can’t be in our 22 are Sier, Noble, Madgen, C Brown and Thomas. They don’t bring anything really, and are solid squad players. Madgen getting older, but with Noble could be retained to round out the top 30.

For me we need a hefty introduction of class and need a change of assistant coaches to freaking things up, if Buckley still has the players playing for him he stays for me...if he doesn’t then move him on before the seasons out so we can openly and actively source an alternative...and have first dibs on the best. Problem is I wouldn’t trust any of our assistants to coach, they are shocking.

Moore up forward last night proved it’s not personnel that is the issue forward of the ball, but the quality of our ball movement and delivery.

I think we need to make some drastic changes in that regard. I would trade one of Sidebottom Or Pendlebury and definitely demote Pendlebury from captaincy. They still have quality as players but cannot be relied upon as prime movers. If Petracca is getable, I think we go for him!

I am torn on Degoey, and it’s hard to know whether his indifferent form is due to his off field issues or whether he doesn’t have the focus to become the player we all hoped. He doesn’t get enough of it, and when he does he can be wasteful. Trade for petracca would be a great outcome.

If we are to become contenders players with their current skill sets and attributes that can’t be in our 22 are Sier, Noble, Madgen, C Brown and Thomas. They don’t bring anything really, and are solid squad players. Madgen getting older, but with Noble could be retained to round out the top 30.
Sidebottom and pendles have no currency to make the trade worthwhile. We wouldn’t get anything useful in return, they are better utilised in other positions

We are basically at the mercy of ‘Hine specials’ coming to fruition. A decade of first round picks missing from the list leaving a gaping hole.

Sidebottom and pendles have no currency to make the trade worthwhile. We wouldn’t get anything useful in return, they are better utilised in other positions
For that to work we need to boost our midfield with quality players, that can’t happen without trading out some of our other talent, we have no draft picks...or waiting for some of the young up and comers to mature. The going rate for former A grade players with their qualities is a late first round pick or a second that we could potentially package together to move up the draft order or use as collateral to get Petracca. Clubs that are contending could definitely benefit from having players like that playing roles.

I agree. Regardless of who is responsible for this list, every person deserves to be treated with dignity and respect. No one should be sacked prior to their contract ending. The club is entitled to seek a new direction with its football department including coaches. Communicating that is fine and I would expect all coaches would accept 10 years without a flag is long enough.

The issue I see is that the fact the board haven't found a President suggests it is split or not sure what direction is wants to head. If the board can't govern themselves, what hope do the football department have?

The scary thing is, where is the growth going to come from? We don't really have much quality youth.

Can I ask, when was our last rising star nominee apart from Stephenson who is no longer with us? Maybe Quaynor but I can't remember.

For our 2010 premiership side, it was built on great drafting. Beams, Sidey, Pendles, Swan, Thomas. Then we went and recruited role players like, Brown, Ball and Jolly. All premierships sides are generally the same. Hawthorn's dynasty was on the back of Lewis, Buddy, Roughead, Hodge, Mitchel. Richmond drafted Cotchin, Dusty, Reiwolt, Rance, etc.

Very rarely do sides recruit big names and win premierships. It just costs too much and you end up losing out. Carlton with Judd, Swans with Buddy and us with Treloar.

Now who have we drafted that is premiership material in the last ten years? Maynard, Moore and Degoey... possibly Quaynor. We haven't drafted a CHF since Cloke.

I'll throw some other names up: Lynch, Young, White, Wells, Mayne, Treloar, Beams, Cameron, Roughead, Howe, Greenwood, Aish, etc.... We have been trying to rely on recruiting players and not draft.

To be fair, it nearly worked. But it didn't and the crash was always going to be hard because they're old. I really hope we just go back to the draft for a few years because we need to.

If we go ahead and chase Merrett or Pettracca I'll spew. Really where will it get us? We don't have any developing players around them to take us anywhere.

Ed was a great president and its a joke to suggest otherwise. His stuff ups came when he played at being HR manager (stuffing up the racism complaints) and in recruiting and contracts. AFAIK he was the genius who decided we needed Beams in 2019: to be fair for a few rounds it looked like a coup.
Aside from a number of reputational damaging comments, casualy vacancy appointments to replace directors for every available position for the entirely of this century, $12m down the gurgeler on the pubs and changing coach after winning a flag and then having our best winning season in our history are fair examples of what he did very poorly in a few key areas. There's plenty more like like bringing Gubby back and losing Balme a second time that misfired.

Not acting on the cap issue AFTER the last review identified it as priority one let alone Treloar's contract after that review sits well above the gaff that saw him resign in my view. His comments re the racism report were just Eddie being his poorly judged media handling self. The other stuff is administrative incompetence. If you saw footy Classified last week he still can't see or admit the cap and list management were a disaster.

Eddies was the man we needed in 1998. He dragged the club out of the gutter by the bootstraps. He stayed more than 10 years too long.

The scary thing is, where is the growth going to come from? We don't really have much quality youth.

Can I ask, when was our last rising star nominee apart from Stephenson who is no longer with us? Maybe Quaynor but I can't remember.

For our 2010 premiership side, it was built on great drafting. Beams, Sidey, Pendles, Swan, Thomas. Then we went and recruited role players like, Brown, Ball and Jolly. All premierships sides are generally the same. Hawthorn's dynasty was on the back of Lewis, Buddy, Roughead, Hodge, Mitchel. Richmond drafted Cotchin, Dusty, Reiwolt, Rance, etc.

Very rarely do sides recruit big names and win premierships. It just costs too much and you end up losing out. Carlton with Judd, Swans with Buddy and us with Treloar.

Now who have we drafted that is premiership material in the last ten years? Maynard, Moore and Degoey... possibly Quaynor. We haven't drafted a CHF since Cloke.

I'll throw some other names up: Lynch, Young, White, Wells, Mayne, Treloar, Beams, Cameron, Roughead, Howe, Greenwood, Aish, etc.... We have been trying to rely on recruiting players and not draft.

To be fair, it nearly worked. But it didn't and the crash was always going to be hard because they're old. I really hope we just go back to the draft for a few years because we need to.

If we go ahead and chase Merrett or Pettracca I'll spew. Really where will it get us? We don't have any developing players around them to take us anywhere.
We are at least starting to recruit some quality youth. Where is Geelong's? Even the Eagles really only have Allen as a guaranteed gun for the future. The Tigers do not have so much either though would not care if I barracked for them. Is Hawthorn that well off for young talent?

We are at least starting to recruit some quality youth. Where is Geelong's? Even the Eagles really only have Allen as a guaranteed gun for the future. The Tigers do not have so much either though would not care if I barracked for them. Is Hawthorn that well off for young talent?

Yeah Geelong are possibly in the same position. Eagles, Hawks and Tiges have all won flags. Hawks were up for so long they've had no top end draft picks.

We on the other hand, have wasted at least 7 first round draft picks and 3 top 10 (freeman, Sharenberg and Stephenson). I acknowledge 2 or those were injured.

However our list management has been poor. Yes we made a GF but that was on the back of one of the most amazing performances we've pulled out in 10 years. The 2018 PF...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back