News Where did they go? What has happened to delisted/retired players?

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere.

Cedric Cox has signed with West Coast’s reserves.

Comeback Lions

Premium Platinum
Jul 2, 2017
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Sydney Uni Flames
Does this mean they have decided not to add him to the AFL list or do you think that might still be a possibility?
It’s still a possibility according to article on afl website, they can create spot through long term injury, though not the only player they’re considering from memory.
Edit, yep, spot depending on Venables concussion progress, 2 other players also training.

marooned

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Shaun Hart working at a northern Gold Coast school.

McIvor

Club Legend
May 21, 2020
Sunshine Beach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere.

Cedric Cox has signed with West Coast’s reserves.
Did Cox leave because he wanted to return back to WA or did he reject a Lions offer and was then delisted? Thought he had a ton of talent, so its a shame he could be lost to the AFL.

Did anyone else see Luke Hodge in a bread ad wearing a Lions polo? Is he now a bonafide Lions legend.
Yep. Made me do a double take too.

BrainOfMorbius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Justin Clarke graduated from UQ today. Congrats Justin, we know you'll go on to achieve great things!

Did Cox leave because he wanted to return back to WA or did he reject a Lions offer and was then delisted? Thought he had a ton of talent, so its a shame he could be lost to the AFL.

I think I remember Cox wanting to move back to WA due to personal reasons or something and the club wanted to facilitate a trade for him at the Dockers or Eagles.

Unfortunately a trade didn't happen from those teams and he got delisted soon after before moving to WA full-time.

I am happy he got signed up by the WC reserve's team though and hopefully can play at a consistent level over there in the WAFL now.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
if Cox does not get picked up this year.. Maybe a year in there magoos they get him next draft.
Already signed up by the Eagles for their reserve team.

I’m not sure on the rules, but as a delisted free agent, could he be signed by another club next trade period, if he’s not picked up in the mid season draft?

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Already signed up by the Eagles for their reserve team.

I’m not sure on the rules, but as a delisted free agent, could he be signed by another club next trade period, if he’s not picked up in the mid season draft?
you think so? signed for reserves be the same as someone signed to play VFL or SANFL. not on list is not on list

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I’m not sure what you’re trying to say.
You think he be available for draft.
As he only signed to their WAFL side.. same as someone signed to SANFL or VFL.
They are not on a AFL club list so can be drafted. Think the de listed free agent period finished for now?

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
They are not on a AFL club list so can be drafted. Think the de listed free agent period finished for now?
YEp, exactly the same situation that Toby Wooller is in at Carlton.

Brett C

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Manchester United
Am I the only one that read this pretending to be Kevin from The Office.

1612499803635.gif

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
That’s not the question I asked.

I know he’s only signed to their reserve team.

What I asked was, do delisted free agents have to go back in to the following years draft?

Or can another club just sign him as a delisted player the following year, during the trade and free agency period, before the draft?

May 20, 2015
Maleny, Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
According to the AFL site Cox is training for the Eagles in the hope of a contract - West Coast: Will Collins (Swan Districts), Cedric Cox (West Coast, WAFL), Nic Martin (Subiaco)

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Article today re VFL and ex AFL players
Aspley getting a few ex Lions
Corey Lyons (Aspley): the former Brisbane Lions lister is a classy addition to the midfield, where he racked up big numbers in the NEAFL in 2019. The brother of 2021 Lion Jarryd Lions.
Jacob Allison (Aspley): the adaptable tall was an Aspley junior, gaining All Australian selection as a 17-year-old, and returns to the club after a stint with Brisbane Lions that brought him 10 AFL matches.
Ryan Bastinac (Aspley): the former North Melbourne and Brisbane midfielder played eight SANFL matches for Norwood last season, averaging 23.4 disposals. At 29, he’s offers the Hornets on-field know-how – he had 164 AFL appearances – and leadership. A superb signing.
Matt Eagles (Aspley): one of the stars of the TV program “The Recruit’’ is a good recruit for the Hornets, strengthening their stock of big men. Worked to the knuckle to play six AFL matches in his four years with Brisbane Lions.
Matt Hammelman (Aspley): the 12-game Brisbane Lion is going to keep even the best backmen occupied this season. Made the switch to Aspley from Redland, where he topped the NEAFL goalkicking with 60 majors in 2019.
Josh Clayton (North Melbourne VFL): the former Brisbane Lion played 18 games for Werribee in 2019 after returning to Melbourne. Clayton was a key member of Southport’s maiden NEAFL premiership in 2018. Should step straight into North Melbourne’s best 22 and will provide excellent leadership and a steadying presence around the ground.
Toby Wooller (Carlton VFL): the 195cm key forward was unable to break through for an AFL debut in Brisbane and returns to Melbourne to link up with Carlton’s VFL team. A key member of the Lions’ undefeated NEAFL premiership team in 2019, he didn’t get to take the field in a competitive match in 2020.

Back