Religion Where did this "religion of peace" mantra come from?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

RisingPhoenix

Club Legend
Dec 20, 2010
Great Southern
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
NAFC, SDFC, MUFC.
http://m.aljazeera.com/story/201411226446296802

To all the incessant 'Islamophobia'/'it's only a tiny unrepresentative minority that's the problem' bleaters on this board, I challenge you to defend this latest obscenity.

What will it take for you people to wake up and realise that Islam circa 2014 has massive, massive issues and that those who dare to express as much aren't just bogans, bigots or Bolt lovers.

Its mystifying to see how it's apparently fine to openly express how dangerous and intellectually offensive fundamentalist Christianity is, yet whenever someone like a Dr Sam Harris dares to calmly articulate a position which suggests that the problems with Islam unfortunately aren't simply limited to a minority of nutjobs, then it's cries of ugly racist, bigot, Islamophobe, and on and on.

What will it take for you to wake up, put aside the predictable knee jerk US foreign policy, racism, islamophobia, Christianity has blood on it's hands too etc etc nonsense and simply say 'you know what, there is a fundamental problem with Islam itself and we need accept it and try and find some solutions'.

How many beheadings, mass executions, crucifixions and the like will it take before you put aside your own partisan ideological position and just accept Islam itself is part of the problem?

And after incidents like this latest outrage in Kenya, I ask where and on what grounds has this Islam as a 'religion of peace' mantra been established?

Honestly how can anyone say that?

Last edited:
I know a few orphans raped in christian orphanages, I'm buggered if i could ever work out why they hate Islam too.

I know of meth dealers trawling pages against Islam like you are. Meth dealers for christ sake!!! Sheds full of old cars from the profits. On first name terms with every needle freak within a nuclear detonation of them. They complain about Islam? why, don't they want morals or something?

I spent years defending this kind of s**t in the exact way that you described. I have no problem with the average Muslim and I know that the majority are just as horrified at these kinds of stories as the rest of us. But I agree, there is something very wrong with Islam in the 21st century. I'm anti-religion in general and it's clear that Islam is the most dangerous of all of them. The way Harris and Bill Maher and then Michael Moore are blasted by the left just for suggesting that this is the case, really disappoints me. Those guys aren't bigots, they're just calling it like they see it.

I'm glad all you guys agree there is a problem with Islam (apart from the obvious fact that its a religion). Soon I'm sure you'll be able to demonstrate the causative link between Islam and this behaviour.

The floor is yours...

http://m.aljazeera.com/story/201411226446296802

To all the incessant 'Islamophobia'/'it's only a tiny unrepresentative minority that's the problem' bleaters on this board, I challenge you to defend this latest obscenity.

What will it take for you people to wake up and realise that Islam circa 2014 has massive, massive issues and that those who dare to express as much aren't just bogans, bigots or Bolt lovers.

Its mystifying to see how it's apparently fine to openly express how dangerous and intellectually offensive fundamentalist Christianity is, yet whenever someone like a Dr Sam Harris dares to calmly articulate a position which suggests that the problems with Islam unfortunately aren't simply limited to a minority of nutjobs, then it's cries of ugly racist, bigot, Islamophobe, and on and on.

What will it take for you to wake up, put aside the predictable knee jerk US foreign policy, racism, islamophobia, Christianity has blood on it's hands too etc etc nonsense and simply say 'you know what, there is a fundamental problem with Islam itself and we need accept it and try and find some solutions'.

How many beheadings, mass executions, crucifixions and the like will it take before you put aside your own partisan ideological position and just accept Islam itself is part of the problem?

And after incidents like this latest outrage in Kenya, I ask where and on what grounds has this Islam as a 'religion of peace' mantra been established?

Honestly how can anyone say that?
I find it strange that you ignore the fact that most posters who you claim "defend islam" specifically decry all religious fundamentalism yet defend the right for the balanced and peaceful religious to hold their beliefs even though they personally find these beliefs idiotic.
I don't know anyone, with half a brain who has even attempted to defend Islamist fundamentalists, you simply see the defense the right to exercise faiths other than the one you prefer as a slight.

Ban all religions.
Won't worry me in the slightest, but if you maintain the christians have a right to their beliefs then you have to let the others have theirs.
You can't just have one set of loons holding sway on your say so. All or none.

Peep my sig perhaps.

Not really relevant to my comment, is it? One group of Muslims telling another group that they are doing Islam wrong. While I'm glad they've taken those steps, it doesn't change the fact that Muhammed was a warlord and it doesn't make Islam a religion of peace.

To be honest most people who refer to the problem as just Islam usually are.

I feel like this has been done to death but again, Islam has many variants just like Christianity. Lumping them all in together is as helpful or accurate as assuming a regular Church of England service consists of a bit of light speaking in tongues before moving on to biblical literalism and rapture.

Not once have I read a single person on here defend Islamic fundamentalism. The only thing I've seen is some people object to your never ending over simplification and stereotyping.

To be blunt the religion itself is medieval (like all religions ultimately).

People are fine until they are influenced by these delusions. Christianity was simply re made up over the years to look less barbaric than it used to be the extremism removed under testament 2.0. Islam ignored patching their bible and it just shows it wasn't really necessary for Christianity, we would've had no problems selling our daughters and stoning gays today if we were raised under the unedited version of this abraham god.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are 17.4 million Muslims in Malaysia, of which about 15 million favour making Sharia the official law in their country. Of those, more than 6 million think Sharia law should also apply to non-Muslims. About 9 million Malaysian Muslims think stoning is an appropriate punishment for adultery and slightly more think the death penalty is appropriate for leaving the Islamic faith. More than 3 million Malaysians think that suicide bombing in defence of Islam is at least sometimes justified.

That's millions of people in a relatively modern and west-friendly country that hold these batshit crazy and violent beliefs.

Indonesians are a bit more sane percentage-wise, but their huge population means that over 14 million of them are okay with suicide bombing for Allah under some circumstances. 73 million favour Sharia applying even to non-Muslims.

http://www.pewforum.org/2013/04/30/...ligion-politics-society-beliefs-about-sharia/

well sure, if you go looking for it..

as someone who actually doesn't really give a s**t, nor go looking for reasons to hate on Islam (because I hear enough of them anyway) I haven't come across it short of the way I described it...

nice of you to quote a prime ministers' speech from 10 years ago to prove a wobbly point.. because we all know politician speeches are the epitome of straight down the line content, right?

Well if I quoted someone from an argument I had on a religious forum, I doubt that you'd give that much credence either. I have a lot of religious arguments (mostly with Christians, sometimes with Jews and Muslims) and the religion of peace thing gets thrown up fairly regularly.

The visit of Imam Al-Mueaqly was reportedly requested by Muslim Filipino clerics in order to remind young Muslims of their duty to promote and preserve peace amid perceptions that the jihadist ideology of the ISIS is being spread across the globe...

Nothing productive about trying to promote moderate Islam, yeh? :rolleyes:

The fundies are crazy, the rest get llumped into the same category... the rest are trying to distance themselves from the fundies by preaching peace, and then they get chastised by those who are like 'Nuh-uh, Islam is violent..'

they can't win

There are 17.4 million Muslims in Malaysia, of which about 15 million favour making Sharia the official law in their country. Of those, more than 6 million think Sharia law should also apply to non-Muslims. About 9 million Malaysian Muslims think stoning is an appropriate punishment for adultery and slightly more think the death penalty is appropriate for leaving the Islamic faith. More than 3 million Malaysians think that suicide bombing in defence of Islam is at least sometimes justified.

That's millions of people in a relatively modern and west-friendly country that hold these batshit crazy and violent beliefs.

Indonesians are a bit more sane percentage-wise, but their huge population means that over 14 million of them are okay with suicide bombing for Allah under some circumstances. 73 million favour Sharia applying even to non-Muslims.

http://www.pewforum.org/2013/04/30/...ligion-politics-society-beliefs-about-sharia/

Why would Malaysia be west friendly?

Australian and British soldiers went around decapitating their kids in living memory.

Nothing productive about trying to promote moderate Islam, yeh? :rolleyes:

The fundies are crazy, the rest get llumped into the same category... the rest are trying to distance themselves from the fundies by preaching peace, and then they get chastised by those who are like 'Nuh-uh, Islam is violent..'

they can't win

I wasn't criticizing the Imam. You said you never hear anyone use the phrase "religion of peace" except people refuting it. I linked to a Muslim politician using the phrase. You said it was 10 years ago and he's a politician. So I linked to a religious leader from 2 weeks ago. I'm just trying to establish that the phrase does get used in defense of Islam. Good on the guy for trying to make young Muslims actually believe it.

Why would Malaysia be west friendly?

Australian and British soldiers went around decapitating their kids in living memory.

It's a multi-cultural country that is welcoming of foreign business people and tourists. I've been there many times and my best friend lives there. To me, those numbers I quoted were surprising and a bit scary.

Really, when was that?

3e705-royalmarine.jpg

"Brave" SAS soldiers crushing a student led communist movement.

And fleabitten sure they welcome money, who doesn't? Doesn't mean they don't forget either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back