• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, East Side Hawks
Backline? Mids? Forward. Where? Key positions? Or skirting mids.
Our transition and ball movement hasn't been fluent of late. Which sector of the field needs the most tinkering or has been the least performing.

My take is the Mids. Both front and back have been alright although I'd think as a whole most of the changes have been to the back.

We break down when midfielders have to get the ball out of the backline on account of a well structured opposition press.
When it's deep press are the mids generating enough extraction points while the backs are running around like blue arrested flies?

Mids seem to get sucked into the contest and then have to hack to clear the ball. I have no idea how they fix it, I just hope Don Pyke does.

Mids seem to get sucked into the contest and then have to hack to clear the ball. I have no idea how they fix it, I just hope Don Pyke does.
Impressive hashtag worthy word coming up #synergy

We break down when midfielders have to get the ball out of the backline on account of a well structured opposition press.
You've certainly hit the nail on the head, we struggled against Geelong badly twice because of this which really negates our high scoring ability a lot.

Is there a Stat rating teams on clearance efficiency out of the defensive 50? I reckon we are noticeably struggling in this regard.

You've certainly hit the nail on the head, we struggled against Geelong badly twice because of this which really negates our high scoring ability a lot.
We are Geelongs bunnies. But how about the switch? When we drive to the wings the try a wrap around? Been caught a bit on that lately.

When we do have time eg. A mark on the wing and the team is streaming forward, we're still slow to make a decision, do I kick long? Do I go back? Do I hit a short option? Is there a runner I can handball too? Almost as if they're scared of ******* it up so try to go the safe option which by that time is gone and it becomes a dangerous option.

We have the worst midfield in the top 8 and worse than a number of sides outside the top 8.

The inside ball isn't too bad but in every other area we are deficient. Our outside run isn't up to par, our field marking isn't up to par. We struggle to run the ball out of defense, we struggle to kick well into the forward 50. We don't tackle as hard or as well as other sides (though this aspect HAS improved since last season significantly).

Honestly if our midfield just broke even on it's own we'd be the best team in the league. Instead our backs and mids have to spend a huge amount of time trying to assist the midfield to their own areas detriment and even then we often only break even.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out of the top five, who do you reckon is the hardest working Midfield?
I'm going to go Sydney.

Sydney have the best midfield easily.

Kennedy. Hannebery. Jack. Parker. Mitchell.

Ridiculous.

Collingwood's is building.
Hawthorn pure class as we know.
Geelong with Dangerfield and Selwood.
Bulldogs have super talent and exceptional handball.
GWS will be unbelievable with some finals experience under their belts.

Ours is basically pedestrian at the moment. Sometimes I think it's not but then we play a good opposition midfield and it sticks out like dogs balls. Need another 40 games in to Crouch's, Atkins, Lyons, Charlie. Our mids will quite literally need to play out of their skins for a month to win the flag this year.

Sydney have the best midfield easily.

Kennedy. Hannebery. Jack. Parker. Mitchell.

Ridiculous.

Collingwood's is building.
Hawthorn pure class as we know.
Geelong with Dangerfield and Selwood.
Bulldogs have super talent and exceptional handball.
GWS will be unbelievable with some finals experience under their belts.

Ours is basically pedestrian at the moment. Sometimes I think it's not but then we play a good opposition midfield and it sticks out like dogs balls. Need another 40 games in to Crouch's, Atkins, Lyons, Charlie. Our mids will quite literally need to play out of their skins for a month to win the flag this year.
put some smokey coin on Kennedy for the Brownlow. Agree our mids need more time. They are infants in these stakes. Starting to think Hawthorn vs Sydney gf on this.

When we do have time eg. A mark on the wing and the team is streaming forward, we're still slow to make a decision, do I kick long? Do I go back? Do I hit a short option? Is there a runner I can handball too? Almost as if they're scared of ******* it up so try to go the safe option which by that time is gone and it becomes a dangerous option.
It is a bit frustrating. There were a few passages last week where we wasted it, Seedsman marked it on the back half, they switched the play to the other side, switched it back again and it ended up back with Seedsman who then went long, which he should have done in the first place, but by that time everyone has gotten back. The switching back and forth is usually where we come unstuck as we have a few blokes who can fluff up simple 10 metre passes while under no pressure and we give up easy goals.

I think our setups at stoppages is still a bit iffy too. We seem to always leave an opposition player sitting off the contest by themselves who are free and clear if the opposition get the ball out. We're better, but still get cut up easy through the middle, if Treloar could kick he would have destroy us in the Pies game as we just couldn't stop him.

I also don't like the way certain players move the ball and I think part of it comes down to what Pyke was talking about where he wants the players to understand their teammates skills and strengths and weaknesses. Someone like Henderson shouldn't be soft and handpass unnecessarily off to Matt Crouch to take the kick. That's the opposite of what Matts strength is.

We have started giving up unpressured opposition transition through the arcs from our attacking 50 again. Has been an issue for over 2 years and it looked like we'd improved in this area a number of games ago, but we've reverted to the norm and are getting smoked through there again.
We won the first quarter against Essendone. Did anyone think that Leuenberger and his mids smoked us? Cos I thaught we were destroyed.

We break down when there's no run from Defence, especially if you cut off the ability to switch play.

We won the first quarter against Essendone. Did anyone think that Leuenberger and his mids smoked us? Cos I thaught we were destroyed.

We won the first quarter because Essendon threw away some very easy opportunities. We got smashed in nearly every key stat and only things like Joe being the worst kick in the AFL kept us looking good.

We break down when there's no run from Defence, especially if you cut off the ability to switch play.
Yersh HG style there Graygray. Big note here. We are losing fluency on the switch and it is becoming more stop start. The likes of Smith and Atkins are bunched up a bit more and mistakes happen.

Back