Prediction Where do we finish in 2019?

Where do we finish in 2019 (End of finals)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Started a similar thread last year but it was only about a day or two before the first game, figured I'd do it a week in advance this year so everyone can get their predictions in. The finishing position you select is intended to be the POST finals position, so for example in 2018 we finished 4th.

Voted for 6th. Despite what the media say, I think the 6-6-6 rule will hurt us. We aren't blessed with pace or composure in the midfield. We won the clearances last year from getting extra numbers to the stoppage and applying superior pressure than the opposition. Now we can't have blokes running off the back of the square to increase the pressure at centre bounces.

Also it doesn't look like we've cleaned up our F50 entrance efficiency and I'm expecting us to dominate that stat less for the above reason.

Lastly, due to us not dominating clearances as much, expect the ball to be in the opposition forward line more and we don't yet have a great way to quickly move the ball from defence to offence such as Adelaide for example.

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
We won the clearances last year from getting extra numbers to the stoppage and applying superior pressure than the opposition. Now we can't have blokes running off the back of the square to increase the pressure at centre bounces.

Concerned that this just might be the case.

Still, I voted that we make the GF.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Still a few things we need to tidy up before i can confidently predict top 4. I fear this 6-6-6 set up wont suit us unlike some experts saying opposite. We got scored against far too easily during JLT and our lack of pace compared to other quality teams is worrying. If our ball movement isn't great, we can't break lines with speed as we dont really have it. And basically TMac now takes best defender which means a lot of pressure on Weid to step up. Im not convinced on May yet either. Our midfield which is elite, will have to smash teams every week. Like last year, that gets you wins against lower clubs, but we struggled against the better teams as we struggled in other areas of the ground. So Im predicting a similar spot to last year. So between 5th and 8th.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Voted for 6th. Despite what the media say, I think the 6-6-6 rule will hurt us. We aren't blessed with pace or composure in the midfield. We won the clearances last year from getting extra numbers to the stoppage and applying superior pressure than the opposition. Now we can't have blokes running off the back of the square to increase the pressure at centre bounces.

Also it doesn't look like we've cleaned up our F50 entrance efficiency and I'm expecting us to dominate that stat less for the above reason.

Lastly, due to us not dominating clearances as much, expect the ball to be in the opposition forward line more and we don't yet have a great way to quickly move the ball from defence to offence such as Adelaide for example.

I voted 5th and I totally agree with your post.

Our ability to press forward and lock the ball in our forward half will also be made more difficult with the 6-6-6 rule.

Sides with fast, good kicking wingmen will do quite well and that’s probably our weakest point.

Chaos footy will be much harder to create - I’m just hoping the Gawn factor and mids like Viney, Oliver and Petracca will get a chance to win more 1-1s.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!

We actually stopped the extra numbers of the half back line. Look at the second doggies game as an example, the centre clearneces we won from Gawns tapwork and clarry/Gus combinations. That was more our style in the back half of the year.

6-6-6 means centre clearneces are more crucial so we get the ball in our forward half and lock it in. I don’t expect the forward 50 entries to change/improve all that much as it’s easier for sides to defend once they get numbers back. We like to be a forward half side.

The big improvement needs to come from the back 6. Now they are one on one, we really need to see improved defending, composure and ball use. If get that right we are a big chance.

For mine scoring and midfield are fine, the back 6 is where the difference from being a pretender to a contender.

Voted 6th. Think we probably have the best list in the league in terms of talent, but some of that talent is currently unfulfilled. We are relying massively on Hibberd bouncing back, Weideman carrying on his finals form, and Petracca and Salem playing 22 games of super good footy rather than yo-yoing as they've done in the past. I'm taking nothing from two JLT losses, historically it counts for * all, but I'm intrigued to see whether we can stop the opposition scoring when the season starts.

Having said that, we have the best tap/contested marking ruckman in the league bringing it down for two of the best young contested mids going around with Harmes and Viney being super promising inside mids themselves.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
which other campaigner voted 9th? i voted ninth cause * it if we finish higher then woohoo if we miss the 8 then i told you campaigners so. we only just made it last year and with the new rules * knows if other teams around us improve off the back of it and we decline. We need to find a crumber once we get a clearance and Weid splits the pack otherwise we are ****ed itll just rebound and our slow ass team wont be able to set up especially if Lewis is gonna play most the year. could see us going sideways or backwards with 1st possession cause it comes out so quick and need to flood the front 1/2. I just see speed killing us. hope im wrong and its just the damage from years past

We actually stopped the extra numbers of the half back line. Look at the second doggies game as an example, the centre clearneces we won from Gawns tapwork and clarry/Gus combinations. That was more our style in the back half of the year.

6-6-6 means centre clearneces are more crucial so we get the ball in our forward half and lock it in. I don’t expect the forward 50 entries to change/improve all that much as it’s easier for sides to defend once they get numbers back. We like to be a forward half side.

The big improvement needs to come from the back 6. Now they are one on one, we really need to see improved defending, composure and ball use. If get that right we are a big chance.

For mine scoring and midfield are fine, the back 6 is where the difference from being a pretender to a contender.
This is true. That doggies game was a masterclass in clean center stoppage work

The 666 rule only stops congestion after a goal. Once a team has had a chance to flood forward then it's the same old game.

On Mi A2 Lite using BigFooty.com mobile app

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
This is true. That doggies game was a masterclass in clean center stoppage work

The 666 rule only stops congestion after a goal. Once a team has had a chance to flood forward then it's the same old game.

On Mi A2 Lite using BigFooty.com mobile app

The doggies was an outlier, you will get such pure centre clearneces but I think goody and co. Are switched on tactic wise. Most if not all coaches would of know half through last year the proposed rule changes were coming in for 2019 and they started planning for it

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
which other campaigner voted 9th? i voted ninth cause **** it if we finish higher then woohoo if we miss the 8 then i told you campaigners so. we only just made it last year and with the new rules **** knows if other teams around us improve off the back of it and we decline. We need to find a crumber once we get a clearance and Weid splits the pack otherwise we are ****** itll just rebound and our slow ass team wont be able to set up especially if Lewis is gonna play most the year. could see us going sideways or backwards with 1st possession cause it comes out so quick and need to flood the front 1/2. I just see speed killing us. hope im wrong and its just the damage from years past

Yeah, I understand the whole 'I'll be pessimistic because I'm either wrong and don't care or we go to s**t and I'm right' mindset but think we should be past that now.

We played 6/6/6 for the majority of the last 1/3 of the year, in fact I'd say we played better when we stopped having s**t like an 8-9 man defence.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah, I understand the whole 'I'll be pessimistic because I'm either wrong and don't care or we go to s**t and I'm right' mindset but think we should be past that now.

We played 6/6/6 for the majority of the last 1/3 of the year, in fact I'd say we played better when we stopped having s**t like an 8-9 man defence.
plus the fact the 4 teams just outside the 8 could go into it. Lions being a smokey for a spot in the 8 theyll either get there this year or go whack next year. like i wont be surprised if we do miss the 8 also wouldnt be surprised if we dont fix teams getting 5 6 7 goal run on us. if we only play the 1 ruckman plus having next to no speed setting up will be harder with new rules. i hope we give Hunt a crack again this year that hes fit again forward back or wing i reckon we need his speed where ever

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Speed is overrated, particularly in hunts case when his big downside is his foot skills and the lack of kick retention.

Richmond “look” quick because they move ball with quick possessions they don’t run and carry. They shuffle the ball from player to player.

And when you think of it, you can’t rely on one player to come in and make the difference in speeding up a team.

We look quick when we control the ball by foot.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Speed is overrated, particularly in hunts case when his big downside is his foot skills and the lack of kick retention.

Richmond “look” quick because they move ball with quick possessions they don’t run and carry. They shuffle the ball from player to player.

And when you think of it, you can’t rely on one player to come in and make the difference in speeding up a team.

We look quick when we control the ball by foot.
Hunt up forward takes out his s**t kicking and footy smarts cause he just has to run and chase and put pressure on we either get him kicking at goal or a quick play on to advantage. richmonds pressure up front is massive cause of their quicker smaller guys and Ranch setting up not cause they have speed over the entire ground same as Eagles. im not fussed about speed in defense or mid cause you can kick and handball out of there. we need a small zippy forward spargo is a smart kick but not that quick and we run with bigger mid forwards so slow up front. its clearly our biggest hole forward so Hopefully Garlett shows up or Bedford becomes ready by years end or someone else pops up besides spargo or Hunt

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

I think the hawks game early in the season was evident of this. I remember Goodwin had a strange set up which worked for the first quarter but once Clarkson adapted it turned to shite. Same with the port Adelaide game we lost because port congested the backline every time we went forward we had no space. Will be interesting to see what happens but I can see it being a positive.

HANDSOLO

Club Legend
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Broncos
which other campaigner voted 9th? i voted ninth cause **** it if we finish higher then woohoo if we miss the 8 then i told you campaigners so. we only just made it last year and with the new rules **** knows if other teams around us improve off the back of it and we decline. We need to find a crumber once we get a clearance and Weid splits the pack otherwise we are ****** itll just rebound and our slow ass team wont be able to set up especially if Lewis is gonna play most the year. could see us going sideways or backwards with 1st possession cause it comes out so quick and need to flood the front 1/2. I just see speed killing us. hope im wrong and its just the damage from years past

I did you ******* bogan

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I went with 5th because it seems to be the average with the 'experts' and also the tight squeeze at the top end. I think we need to finish top 4 (probably top 2) to have any chance of going all the way. But where to slot in? Richmond Collingwood and West Coast look like they won't budge that leaves one spot. I think there's a few teams fighting for that spot. I'm actually suprised with the lack of faith in west coast from the experts. I think they underestimate the advantage they have in perth and I think it will be tougher this year to get a win over there.

Back