Preview Where do we go from here in 2019?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
With finals a 1% chance from here, how do you think the club should handle the rest of the year? Play the kids? Best possible team? Radical gameplan overhaul? Put it in here.

I think we should play the best possible side BUT I'm ******* over the club rushing guys back from injury/playing guys that aren't 100%. Ideally we want our first choice back 6 to be on the park for at least the last month of the season (May/Lever/Salem/Jetta/Hibberd) to try and gel, and whilst I'd love to play Baker/Petty/Lockhart as much as possible they should only be in if their form maintains or they're dominating VFL. Basically I still want us to play our best possible side, I'm realistic in that we won't get any major gameplan changes this year but geez we need our football department to seriously re-evaluate what they're doing. Ideally I'd like a bunch of coaches given the boot as I feel Goody is surrounded by too many guys who are past their use by date at the club.

Guys that are playing for their career:

Garlett
Maynard
T Smith
JKH
Lewis
Stretch
J Wagner

Obviously try to win as many games as possible but a bottom 6 finish and top 5 pick is probably the most likely and honestly best result, esp if we can trade the latter for Whitfield or similar. Get as many players into surgery early as possible, to avoid a start like we suffered this year. Don’t play anyone that is 50/50 health wise. Try and get form and confidence and cohesion into those blokes that have lose it (Oliver, Trac, TMac) and ensure consistency for the improvers (Hunt, Salem, etc). Same with Lever and May, we want them finishing the year strong and as a really competent duo down back. Ideally either of Preuss or Weideman establishes themselves as a genuine forward prospect, but I won’t hold my breath. Also Salem/Gawn AA would be some amount of consolation.

Also need to start defending the wings of the MCG better. And start privileging better forward 50 entries as a game plan, even if it means we blow out some losses.

Last edited:
I’d like us to win as many as possible, because I like going to the footy and seeing us win. At the same time, I’d like us to get serious about changing the game plan and give the less contested mids on the list as many games as possible so we can get a read on our stocks. Keep Stretch, Baker, Lockhart in the side for as long as we can so we can have a prolonged look and decide if they’re worth persevering with. We should then get ready for a mini rebuild end of year where we bring in some quicker mids and more good ball users.

INJURIES: Not bringing back guys from injury too early is number one on the list for me. 2019 is already screwed, lets not make an early start on screwing 2020.

SELECTION: No yo-yo antics with picking and dropping players. Bring them in, give them a good run and make an assessment on where they stand based on a month of AFL football (unless they are 100% utterly embarrassing on the field). We have nothing to lose here.

KEY FORWARDS: It's time to stop persisting with Tim Smith. I like his endeavour and he's good backup but he's a VFL level player and not getting any younger. We need to establish either of Weid/Preuss and TMac as a duo up forward and get them working with some synergy. I'd start with giving Preuss a solid month of AFL football, including occasional relief ruckwork. He's on our list for 4 years. Best to make use of him instead of Smith. Let Weid play a number of consecutive good games in the VFL before he comes back.

GOLDEN OLDIES: Lewis stays out unless our injury crisis (somehow) worsens and we are exceptionally desperate. Jones need to be confined to the forward line and stints of inside mid relief. If I see him on the outside again I will just go ahead and suspect we're tanking.

BACKLINE COHESION: As already mentioned in this thread we need our best 6 backmen playing together so they can develop some sense of cohesion come 2020. When May and Lever are fit we need to make the hard calls on OMac, Petty and Frost. Where do they stand? Please stick with Hore in the long term too.

INJURIES: Not bringing back guys from injury too early is number one on the list for me. 2019 is already screwed, lets not make an early start on screwing 2020.

SELECTION: No yo-yo antics with picking and dropping players. Bring them in, give them a good run and make an assessment on where they stand based on a month of AFL football (unless they are 100% utterly embarrassing on the field). We have nothing to lose here.

KEY FORWARDS: It's time to stop persisting with Tim Smith. I like his endeavour and he's good backup but he's a VFL level player and not getting any younger. We need to establish either of Weid/Preuss and TMac as a duo up forward and get them working with some synergy. I'd start with giving Preuss a solid month of AFL football, including occasional relief ruckwork. He's on our list for 4 years. Best to make use of him instead of Smith. Let Weid play a number of consecutive good games in the VFL before he comes back.

GOLDEN OLDIES: Lewis stays out unless our injury crisis (somehow) worsens and we are exceptionally desperate. Jones need to be confined to the forward line and stints of inside mid relief. If I see him on the outside again I will just go ahead and suspect we're tanking.

BACKLINE COHESION: As already mentioned in this thread we need our best 6 backmen playing together so they can develop some sense of cohesion come 2020. When May and Lever are fit we need to make the hard calls on OMac, Petty and Frost. Where do they stand? Please stick with Hore in the long term too.
Petty is 19yo, don’t think there are any hard calls to be made there yet unless the hard call is ‘give him more development time’. He’s a v consistent performer in the VFL, it’s not on him that he’s being brought into play seniors in a shithouse defence when he’s clearly not ready for it. Not like he’s Jimmy Toumpas who shat himself at AFL level while also never achieving anything in the seconds.

Petty is 19yo, don’t think there are any hard calls to be made there yet unless the hard call is ‘give him more development time’. He’s a v consistent performer in the VFL, it’s not on him that he’s being brought into play seniors in a shithouse defence when he’s clearly not ready for it. Not like he’s Jimmy Toumpas who shat himself at AFL level while also never achieving anything in the seconds.

That's pretty much it. The call is more around who we drop first when either May or Lever are right. Personally I would drop OMac and keep Petty in as I think he has much more upside. MFC may disagree.

Bottom 6 finish and then aim for top 2-4 next year with a decent preseason to get everyone back to their best. Worked for Pies, Crows, etc in recent years.

Utilise low pick to trade in some more outside run, another pair of hands up forward OR use pick 6 or whatever it will be to trade up the order to secure a Rowell/N. Anderson to add to our next midfield crop.

We should play the best available until the last 2 or 3 rounds when we can throw a game at a couple of kids just to show them what it’s about/motivate them for next year.

We need to manage our injuries cautiously though. We should have a big eye on as many players starting preseason fully fit on day 1.

I’d also like us to tinker with the game plan. We need to find a forward structure which works. I’m not so worried about our defence as we get some quality back by the end of the year.

The midfield needs to play with more balance. I don’t mind a focus on contested ball - but not so much that we get monstered as soon as the ball gets flicked outside of congestion.

My ramblings....

I would like to see any required surgeries to take place so that first pick players are ready Round 1 2020. This year should be about developing the playing group for that season.

It is wonderful to find a talent like Hore, but the team can't keep doing that year after year. They need a consistent 22 and move forward not have such instability. The great Hawthorn period was full of players who knew how to play to each other that is what this team needs to develop.

Firstly, what is beyond difficult is what is the best back six the team can have. They need to experiment with this.

I know Jetta is the first choice, and Lever plus May must also be in there. Hibberd is an AA backman. The dash and attack of Frost (while frightening) can be an asset. Hore is an amazing pick up. But is his role too similar to Lever's ? Is O.McDonald too one dimensional ? And with all the players I mentioned. That leaves no room for attack from the backline like Salem offers. And he is a must have.

The Coaching team need to look at trading in order to bring in a finisher. And by finisher I mean someone(s) who can deliver the ball into the forward 50.
- Melbourne have a fair amount of talent in the inside mid department so looking at trading out Brayshaw might be a good idea. As he does not have elite foot skills and is not as good as Viney or Oliver in clearances. But he still is an elite mid given the opportunity. He is ill suited to the role they are asking of him right now.

The forward line is there already in my opinion they just need to get it to gel, but it must contain Melksham, Hunt, McDonald, Petracca, a tall (Pruess/Weideman). And whoever can make that last position theirs (see Lockhart).

Keep Weideman playing if it is good for his confidence. The question of will he be AFL level needs to be answered.
Keep Lockhart in over whoever. He has demonstrated excellent foot skills.
Keep Pruess/ playing (I like Gawn being behind the play) but he plays Full Forward mainly. This will help T.McDonald out who can range and or Weidiman
Keep Hore in the team (again I have no idea about how to sort out the defence).
Let Garlett run in the mid-field a bit more, maybe even try him as a finisher into the forward 50. This is his last contract year.

I don't have major issues with the midfield except they need players with foot skills and defensive skills. If Hannan/Fritch/Lockhart/Baker/Whoever can fill that role then lets find out assuming injury does not keep them out.

There is also Kolodjashnij, VanderBerg, Jay Kennedy Harris and Alex Neal-Bullen to throw in the mix as well.

At this stage. Lewis will be retiring at the end of the season (this is the third year ?).

I'd like to see the likes of Lewis and Garlett jettisoned in favour of some fresh players who have a future at the club, now that this season is a bust. Would also like us not to rush players back and break them in the process.

Main thing though - and it takes precedence above all else - is that the team needs to learn how to play decent football and stop punting it long to no one or to 1 on 3s, stop chasing the ball like a bunch of 7 year olds at Auskick and develop something resembling teamwork. We can put some players on ice, get a few games into the kids, etc but if we turn up next year and keep playing this godawful football then the coaching staff should be dropped off at Centrelink.

With our draw I'd say a bottom 5 finish is looking likely therefore

get the Richmond or Adelaide recruiter.

hit the draft and nail our first 3 picks.

put me on the rookie list.

review captaincy, i feel with Jones on his last legs and Viney needing to focus on his own game. It's time for a possible change.

coaching staff change up.

I think we should learn how to defend. If we are going to average a goal a quarter we may as well prevent the opposition scoring. Take the gold coast for example, last year were a complete basket case in the backline, now they look really well organised. They were in the game against Geelong at 3 quarter time. Also as pointed out in another thread our defending at stoppages needs work. Too many guys trying to win the ball not enough accountability on the outside. Of course this has been a problem for a while so I don't know why I keep wishing for this to change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we should learn how to defend. If we are going to average a goal a quarter we may as well prevent the opposition scoring. Take the gold coast for example, last year were a complete basket case in the backline, now they look really well organised. They were in the game against Geelong at 3 quarter time. Also as pointed out in another thread our defending at stoppages needs work. Too many guys trying to win the ball not enough accountability on the outside. Of course this has been a problem for a while so I don't know why I keep wishing for this to change.
GC is doing what Paul Roos taught us 5 years ago.. unbelievable we are back again

Sadly this club is not going to fold/ merge which is probably the only way I will ever be rid of this currse

Therefore, apart from not playing half fit players the main focus of this year has to be
1) creating a coherent game plan that can work, don’t care about the losses that will cause - damn the torpedoes
2) finding assistant coaches that aren’t morons

Go the biff and play the kids. It's the only way I'll watch another game of ours. We are unwatchable. I didn't even last until quarter time last week. I'd rather watch a Carlton vs Freo game than us this season.

Try to win but don't take stupid risks. If Melksham is crocked pack him away, if Jetta isn't right to go don't force him.

And FFS play Preuss. He might not turn out to be any good but we'll never know if he's always at Casey.

The problem is do we really have many kids to play?

Play the season out trying to win as many games as possible however if any player needs off season surgery get them fixed up now so that every one is cherry ripe for day 1 of pre season

Agree with trying to win as many games as possible, even if we finish 9th, finish the year off strong (similar to Collingwood in 16) and hopefully come back next season and give it a red hot crack. We have the group to challenge, and I don’t think we’re hanging out for another top pick to complete the puzzle, just win.

This season has been poop though.

At the mid season break we need to reasses what we are doing next year and start figuring out who will be in those plans.

I'd love to see some positional moves

Salem and Fristch forward. Play Weid at CHB for month. Give Brayshaw and or Oliver a tagging role. Give Preuss a game in the ruck and play Max deep.

Give all the small forwards on our list a crack

Play Weid at CHB for month.

ifepfpi3g471vcvs94.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back