Preview Where do we go from here in 2019?

Remove this Banner Ad

I just want to see us smash some campaigners.

Get Stevie May in ASAP. As long as he's able to concuss someone he's in.

If Pruess isn't good enough to ruck hopefully he can snipe.

Best ever period of being a Melbourne supporter IMO was when Vince or Lewis were getting suspended every second game they played. People *in hated us, was awesome.

I just want to see us smash some campaigners.

Get Stevie May in ASAP. As long as he's able to concuss someone he's in.

If Pruess isn't good enough to ruck hopefully he can snipe.

Best ever period of being a Melbourne supporter IMO was when Vince or Lewis were getting suspended every second game they played. People ****in hated us, was awesome.
WPOTY

Play Weid at CHB for month

I’ve been thinking the exact same thing (although we should do it at Casey).

We should have done it with Hogan too.

Young tall forwards can learn so much by spending games in defence - even when you know they’re going to be a forward.

OMac spending a month or so in Casey’s forward line probably wouldn’t hurt either.

With finals a 1% chance from here, how do you think the club should handle the rest of the year? Play the kids? Best possible team? Radical gameplan overhaul? Put it in here.

I think we should play the best possible side BUT I'm ******* over the club rushing guys back from injury/playing guys that aren't 100%. Ideally we want our first choice back 6 to be on the park for at least the last month of the season (May/Lever/Salem/Jetta/Hibberd) to try and gel, and whilst I'd love to play Baker/Petty/Lockhart as much as possible they should only be in if their form maintains or they're dominating VFL. Basically I still want us to play our best possible side, I'm realistic in that we won't get any major gameplan changes this year but geez we need our football department to seriously re-evaluate what they're doing. Ideally I'd like a bunch of coaches given the boot as I feel Goody is surrounded by too many guys who are past their use by date at the club.

Guys that are playing for their career:

Garlett
Maynard
T Smith
JKH
Lewis
Stretch
J Wagner
Complete review of entire club starting with who decided to give Goodwin an extension and then their instant removal for gross incompetence.

Goodwin put on notice, 1 year to turn it around and complete review of all other coaching and fitness staff and procedures and practices so as to avoid the most incompetent and unprofessional preseason in AFL history ever happening again.

Gawn, Oliver, Viney untouchables everybody else has a price, load up at the draft and take as many shots at the board as possible over the next 2 years, no more trading away picks.

Finally established an elite training base, and perhaps look outside a 1km radius of the MCG, training on a public park next to a main road while the club is housed in soccer ground is Mickey Mouse and needs to be resolved.

Injuries: Identify who is struggling ASAP and put a long term plan in place to get them fit for 2020. If this means they need to be taken out in round 12, so be it. We can’t have a repeat of this year with surgeries holding players back and ruining their season.

Game plan: Come up with a strategy over the break to look at a game plan for the rest of the year with our list and then also for next year. Ideally it involves a current group and its focus is on playing the MCG better. This is our home ground yet we’ve got no advantage there.

List: I want to see a competitive nature and approach every week by every player like they’re playing for their careers; Petracca, Weidemann, Brayshaw, Oscar McDonald, ANB, Stretch, and Spargo. I focus on these guys because to be a really good side they are our equivalents of Richmond’s role players. Whatever you do, just do it well. I look at 3/4 against West Coast as my blueprint for effort.

Endeavour & risk: Try something new. Put Salem and Fritsch on the wings, play Gawn as a FF and use Preuss solely as a ruckman, play Petracca on the ball. Give us something to show we are open to change. Work on spreading harder, if we get burnt, so be it, but show the endeavour to say ‘I am staying out and I am running’.

Take our time kicking. Please. If we get run down that’s ok, but take your time to find and hit a target.

Coaching staff: Id expect an exhaustive assessment at season end from Mahoney and Goodwin on where it wrong and what we need for 2020.

Team selection: Stick with Hore, Lockhart, Stretch, Baker and Hunt to see what they can give in terms of responsibility and leadership for the remaining games. At least then we will be able to critically and properly judge Hunt and Stretch and make a definitive call come off season.

I swear some people think the world is falling. We’ll make some improvements and come again next year, hopefully they’re the right moves. Drastic change not needed yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Complete review of entire club starting with who decided to give Goodwin an extension and then their instant removal for gross incompetence.

Goodwin put on notice, 1 year to turn it around and complete review of all other coaching and fitness staff and procedures and practices so as to avoid the most incompetent and unprofessional preseason in AFL history ever happening again.

Gawn, Oliver, Viney untouchables everybody else has a price, load up at the draft and take as many shots at the board as possible over the next 2 years, no more trading away picks.

Finally established an elite training base, and perhaps look outside a 1km radius of the MCG, training on a public park next to a main road while the club is housed in soccer ground is Mickey Mouse and needs to be resolved.
You think Viney is untouchable but Harmes has a price?

I’ve been thinking the exact same thing (although we should do it at Casey).

We should have done it with Hogan too.

Young tall forwards can learn so much by spending games in defence - even when you know they’re going to be a forward.

OMac spending a month or so in Casey’s forward line probably wouldn’t hurt either.

Not just tall forwards, pretty much anyone in the forward half. Instead of not tracking your man and it leading to an easy kick for your opponent, it can directly result in a goal. Of greater relevance, some forwards in our team might realize that demanding the ball carrier punt it 60 metres into space over the top of the defense on the run might not be as simple as all that, so maybe instead of pointing towards the goals and looking for a cheap kick, maybe lead straight at the ball carrier and give them a decent out?

Not just tall forwards, pretty much anyone in the forward half. Instead of not tracking your man and it leading to an easy kick for your opponent, it can directly result in a goal. Of greater relevance, some forwards in our team might realize that demanding the ball carrier punt it 60 metres into space over the top of the defense on the run might not be as simple as all that, so maybe instead of pointing towards the goals and looking for a cheap kick, maybe lead straight at the ball carrier and give them a decent out?
Intelligence is spoken.....
E005D5F0-D548-4BA5-B45A-C95139609083.jpeg

I swear some people think the world is falling. We’ll make some improvements and come again next year, hopefully they’re the right moves. Drastic change not needed yet.
Every single player other than Gawn and Salem has gone backwards and the coaching and medical / fitness has been farcical, the the club sits third last having been insipid last start at home, not sure some improvements is enough.

Haha, **** me.... heard it all now
Viney when fit is vital and is heart and soul in the junior McDonald mold,easy in the clubs best few players, most supporters think the club have badly handled his injuries but was huge in the first two finals last year half fit. Harmes is a good player who has got better every year but is maybe 4th best mid.

Viney when fit is vital and is heart and soul in the junior McDonald mold,easy in the clubs best few players, most supporters think the club have badly handled his injuries but was huge in the first two finals last year half fit. Harmes is a good player who has got better every year but is maybe 4th best mid.
Viney is a one dimensional inside player. Whilst I agree he is a good player when up, he is limited and injury prone. If his surname wasn’t Viney he’d be playing at Casey more than not. 2 touches to half time in a game earlier this year I think? Maybe against Essendon?

Harmes is a much more versatile footballer.

Viney is a one dimensional inside player. Whilst I agree he is a good player when up, he is limited and injury prone. If his surname wasn’t Viney he’d be playing at Casey more than not. 2 touches to half time in a game earlier this year I think? Maybe against Essendon?

Harmes is a much more versatile footballer.
Now I’ve ******* heard it all

Remove this Banner Ad

Back