Where do we go from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Xanthippus

Team Captain
Oct 7, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Watching us get absolutely destroyed by Geelong has made my depression and anxiety sky rocket. simply not good enough tonight.

where do we, as a team go from here do take the next steps and eventually winning another flag?

Watching us get absolutely destroyed by Geelong has made my depression and anxiety sky rocket. simply not good enough tonight.

where do we, as a team go from here do take the next steps and eventually winning another flag?

You start a rebuild, get a few 1st round draft picks, and start again.

blow the team up? no premiership? Steele, Adams trelor etc... you think we start from scratch?

You keep the core, but get rid of anyone who is not going to be part of the team in 3 years.

Roughhead, Varcoe, Mayne, Langdon, Dunn, Scharenberg, Greenwood, Reid, Thomas, Broomhead, Wills, Appleby.

Trade Stephenson for a 1st rounder, I'd offer Sidebottom and Treloar up for an early first rounder each.

Spend 2-3 years in the bottom 8 and then bring in some FA's and have another shot at a flag.

You keep the core, but get rid of anyone who is not going to be part of the team in 3 years.

Roughhead, Varcoe, Mayne, Langdon, Dunn, Scharenberg, Greenwood, Reid, Thomas, Broomhead, Wills, Appleby.

Trade Stephenson for a 1st rounder, I'd offer Sidebottom and Treloar up for an early first rounder each.

Spend 2-3 years in the bottom 8 and then bring in some FA's and have another shot at a flag.
so basically blow up the team... yeah I'm not sure if the current squad can cut it and win a flag. maybe our window has closed.

I jumped of the Collingwood bandwagon last year after the disgusting prelim.
After 55 years of investing emotionally with the pies I decide to jump off.
The supporters are the ones that suffer, not the players, they get their $600,000 plus a year, win or lose, then head of to other clubs, have a laugh with the opposition after a loss, go home and play there PlayStations, F&$k up, etc, etc.
Why should I invest emotionally and financially in a club that expects to win a flag by playing one quarter of football.
This year I feel more relaxed as I don't give a F&$k anymore. It has just hurt to much in the past.
Hubris is our biggest problem.
Hey Eddy, I want premierships, not profits.
Profits come from premierships.
Time to go Eddy, your overdue your stay by a few years.

Are they really deep cuts? They're either probably retiring anyway, perpetually injured, or not among our top 15 players anyway.

No it's about cleaning out the deadwood.

After that I'd look into trading stephenson/ De Goey or Treloar if we can get some early 1st rounders

After that I'd look into trading stephenson/ De Goey or Treloar if we can get some early 1st rounders
I don’t know why Stephenson has fallen off the cliff.
I do remember last year commenting that he didn't seem to have the customary second year blues.
Maybe he’s just a year late?
Id hold on to him for now.

If you think of a player's prime as being ages 25-29...

1602390284740.png

Do not re-sign - Dunn, Varcoe, Reid, Wills, Broomhead, Scharenberg, Lynch, Appleby, Tohill, Keane

One Year Contract - Greenwood, Roughead, Cox

Re-sign - Madgen, Mihocek, Moore, De Goey, Daicos, Bosenavulagi

1602390474123.png

1602390503210.png

1602390539701.png

I think it should be pretty easy to improve the list without any drastic trading or completely blowing it up over the next couple of off-seasons. Trading out players in their prime for draft picks is just going to push back the timeline for success.

We may need to cut deeper than I've mentioned though (and even clip a couple of contracted guys), as I've got us keeping 36 Senior Listed (or will be, if they re-sign) players and one Rookie Lister.

We're not really locked in long-term to any of them. Most are either already out of contract, or will be at the end of 2021.
Going forward that’s a good thing.
My point was that we gave the extra year to players that were never going to figure in a Premiership assault. This year our next.
This is what separates us from other clubs. When a player is done just recognise it and play hard ball.
We have been very soft club on this issue and it has more than likely cost us the opportunity to get better players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just Turned the Game Off during the 2nd Qtr.

I just looking Forward to the FA/Trade Period Now and Hope we can make Improvements to the List then the Draft after That

Remove this Banner Ad

Back