Where do we send matho?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's great watching Keays get his chance at Adelaide. He wasn't ever going to get the chance with us, but he worked hard, persisted when he looked permanently stuck in the twos and earnt his opportunity at another club. Which he is making the most of.

Matho seems to be in the same loop. He's clearly better than the twos as he continually rates in our best few, but whenever there's an opportunity in the firsts he is bypassed. Even as medical sub.

And yes, he might get to play against port next week thanks to the Carlton carnage, but he'll be dropped again at the first opportunity.

I know and agree with the adage 'clubs/squads win premierships', but loyal servants deserve to have their contributions acknowledged and be given our blessing to take their shot at a regular 22 position while they are still in the middle of their window of opportunity age wise.

My question is - which team needs him in their best 22 and what trade from then would we accept as reasonable?

Genuinely odd thread bruh.

Who do you think we should take out of our squad for Matho? He can only realistically replace two or three of our players due to his strengths and weaknesses.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
It's great watching Keays get his chance at Adelaide. He wasn't ever going to get the chance with us, but he worked hard, persisted when he looked permanently stuck in the twos and earnt his opportunity at another club. Which he is making the most of.

Matho seems to be in the same loop. He's clearly better than the twos as he continually rates in our best few, but whenever there's an opportunity in the firsts he is bypassed. Even as medical sub.

And yes, he might get to play against port next week thanks to the Carlton carnage, but he'll be dropped again at the first opportunity.

I know and agree with the adage 'clubs/squads win premierships', but loyal servants deserve to have their contributions acknowledged and be given our blessing to take their shot at a regular 22 position while they are still in the middle of their window of opportunity age wise.

My question is - which team needs him in their best 22 and what trade from then would we accept as reasonable?
If you really look at our best 22 midfield, there’s only one spot for Mathieson, as an injury replacement for Lyons.

As for the answer to your question.

Essendon.

Genuinely odd thread bruh.

Who do you think we should take out of our squad for Matho? He can only realistically replace two or three of our players due to his strengths and weaknesses.

That's kinda the point. He isn't a need or a fit with us, he's not going to play in our top team, but maybe he could with another club.

I don't watch a lot of other teams outside of prime time telecasts, and I'm not anywhere near being able to comment on which teams might be a fit for him. But there are a lot on here who would know.

I like his persistence and want him to have a crack somewhere his skills will be of value.

That's kinda the point. He isn't a need or a fit with us, he's not going to play in our top team, but maybe he could with another club.

I don't watch a lot of other teams outside of prime time telecasts, and I'm not anywhere near being able to comment on which teams might be a fit for him. But there are a lot on here who would know.

I like his persistence and want him to have a crack somewhere his skills will be of value.
He's the obvious replacement for Lyons, who has played 49 of a possible 49 games. That's the big problem for him - being the backup to an extremely durable and reliable player.

Appreciate the passion, Gadz but there's only one place we send him, it's to the midfield if he earns it. If not he'll leave to another team at the end of the year. I would not be surprised, he's definitely good enough to be on an AFL list, he just happens to currently be on a list where the best players are all very similar to him are currently provably better.

Matho's dilemma is not a new one. We have had a number of players over recent years (and I'm sure all of footy history) who have looked far too good at reserves level, but not quite been able to make it in the seniors.

Just thinking of the past five years or so, Bastinac, O'Brien, Bell, Harwood, Bewick, and Claye Beams have all played as well in the reserves as Matho is at the moment, yet they didn't get the career revival that Keays has had.

I think what's happened to Keays is more the exception than the rule. I also think the rule changes and the AFL's clear intent to make the game less congested going forward would harm his appeal also, as they may have harmed the appeal of Keays if he were delisted today.

I'm only half way through the VFL game so far, but I don't think it's that simple.

He's a good player, and he's above VFL standard as an individual.

As part of a team though, I don't think he's in the right spot. Bad attitude. He regularly burned team mates. His second goal particularly was a shot from 40m out rather than handballing to multiple open teammates.
In a contest, he played for the free first and the ball second. His ridiculous staging from when he was in the 1s - he's even worse now.

Jan 13, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm only half way through the VFL game so far, but I don't think it's that simple.

He's a good player, and he's above VFL standard as an individual.

As part of a team though, I don't think he's in the right spot. Bad attitude. He regularly burned team mates. His second goal particularly was a shot from 40m out rather than handballing to multiple open teammates.
In a contest, he played for the free first and the ball second. His ridiculous staging from when he was in the 1s - he's even worse now.
Matho was clearly our best player before being taken off at half time. Looks angry & frustrated but still working very hard at this craft. Saw him in the team circle for the song and he still looked pissed off.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I totally understand the issue with mature depth is great. He is after Lyons spot or Neales.. Not going to happen.
Although be up to the club and Matho if he goes around again.
If he happy to stay as a in case of emergency break glass then stay.
A few clubs have them. The less changes we do in top 22 as we are winning the less chances older guys get.
As we prob know his ceiling compared to a young kid

Keays, Witho and Walker all recently where down the peaking order and moved on.
Next week no Payne or Dizzy.. Walker might of got a game eventually.
Although played firsts each week at North since leaving
Keays been great for crows.
Witho got a few games in a row with Eagles now.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
If you really look at our best 22 midfield, there’s only one spot for Mathieson, as an injury replacement for Lyons.

As for the answer to your question.

Essendon.
He's the obvious replacement for Lyons, who has played 49 of a possible 49 games. That's the big problem for him - being the backup to an extremely durable and reliable player.
Wouldn't Matho be the/a logical replacement for Lachie Neale as well? Both very durable though... maybe Matho gets a crack v Port due to Lachie's ankle pop yesterday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Wouldn't Matho be the/a logical replacement for Lachie Neale as well? Both very durable though... maybe Matho gets a crack v Port due to Lachie's ankle pop yesterday.
Matho's had opportunities in the ones before and has never been quite up to it . He's stronger now and playing well and if one of our M/F's went down with a season ending injury he could get an extended run.

He's a handy player to have on the list and I think he and the club will work something out at the end of the year. Which might involve him leaving if he doesn't get a crack at it this year.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Was a free hit and if he could fit into our team he’d make a big difference but 4 years was a ridiculous contract.
You probably had Keays ,CEY and Matho battling it out for our next in line mid. They obviously thought CEY had more than he's shown ,be nice if we could disentangle ourselves from the 4 years.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Matho doesn’t dig in and under like Neale, nor has the same quality disposal, or ability to drop back in defence.

Stylistically, Matho is similar to Lyons. Poor runner defensively, but can go forward and kick goals.

Matho doesn’t dig in and under like Neale, nor has the same quality disposal, or ability to drop back in defence.

Stylistically, Matho is similar to Lyons. Poor runner defensively, but can go forward and kick goals.
Personally, I don’t think that Lyons is as bad defensively as some people make out.
He works pretty bloody hard for this team.

Personally, I don’t think that Lyons is as bad defensively as some people make out.
He works pretty bloody hard for this team.

Lyons definitely shows effort running defensively.

It's just that that effort could only catch a handful of other players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back