Where do you get your books from?

Remove this Banner Ad

2nd handbook stores, library, and occasionally websites like ebay if I'm looking for something obscure.

Every now and then I may but new but depends on how much I want to read it or if its on special.

2nd hand bookshops. There are several near where I live and it’s one of my favourite ways to spend a Sat afternoon, browsing in them.

When I can’t find a particular book that I really want to read, I go to Readings in Carlton.

I work in a public library so I borrow most of what I want to read from there.
The bulk of what I buy these days are art books or biographies and I get them from Book depository as the no postage for heavy art books is useful.
Ive always loved my local library. Got great aircon on days like today, sometimes read a free magazine- as well as borrowing books and dvds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My bookshelf is now full so I've got to hold off on buying books for the next few years before I move into a bigger space

Luckily I've recently moved to an area where there are plenty of decent libraries nearby
Ive given away to friends and family about 15 books, just recently? All in near perfect condition. Thought carefully- if id read it at least 2-3 times it was time to go.

Ive given away to friends and family about 15 books, just recently? All in near perfect condition. Thought carefully- if id read it at least 2-3 times it was time to go.
I couldn't do it, I'm a hoarder when it comes to books.

Thats cool.

FWIW i did a massive clean out of my books- when I moved house (twice- in one year). You would have been horrified hahaha. I donated the ok ones, I chucked the damaged/not in good condition ones.

But now, I think back to some of those titles, particularly my true crime ones and think damn it id love to read that again.

Suppose i could go hunting for them at the library..

Hardcore. I don't know how they accumulate so quickly but it's starting to look eccentric.

I'll go through and have a clean out and some point, but I doubt I'll be flinging much, and then end goal is still to eventually have a house that'll have a dedicated library.

I still love searching 2nd hand shops but my 'want list' is now pretty short so most titles on it are quite rare/very popular books that you never see available 2nd hand. Due to that I've had to start buying online a little more. I still always use booko.com.au though to get the best deals.

I've become more balanced in my approach to buying books this year, and sought out more stuff from op shops and second half shops. Both buying specific books and enjoying the surprise of finding a great second half book have their merits.

So good being able to find a classic like To Kill A Mockingbird or Last Exit to Brooklyn for a couple of dollars.

Still haven't taken the plunge, but Facebook Marketplace looks like a decent place to grab a decent stack of books. I find people selling books I like will usually have others that'll interest me, and I can always look up/compare/read reviews etc.

Reckon I might even start putting some of my older books I wont read a second time on there. Works almost like it's own library - sell a few for $5, buy another couple for $5. In the end you're essentially just rolling through books without having to pay an additional membership fee.

Still haven't taken the plunge, but Facebook Marketplace looks like a decent place to grab a decent stack of books. I find people selling books I like will usually have others that'll interest me, and I can always look up/compare/read reviews etc.

Reckon I might even start putting some of my older books I wont read a second time on there. Works almost like it's own library - sell a few for $5, buy another couple for $5. In the end you're essentially just rolling through books without having to pay an additional membership fee.

I'd love a site that works on an exchange system like that - you send books in for it to go onto a marketplace and in return you get credits you can use on that marketplace.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back