Society/Culture Where do you live, and how is Covid19 affecting your life?

Remove this Banner Ad

Where do you live - your country, area, community?

Melbourne - Inner North/West

What restrictions are there?

Just the local pools & gyms that affect me currently, and limited access to things at the supermarket that means I'm grabbing stuff when I'm nearly out instead of actually out.

Do you know of any confirmed cases?

None personally, but I have staff that have had close contacts with people waiting on test results.

Is your employment or that of people you know affected?

I manage a number of staff, so for me it's been a lot of prep in terms of finding options for staff to work from home and coming up with ways to handle a few different scenarios of staff illness or government imposed restrictions.

Technically in an industry that's considered under essential services (supply chain) so my intention is to continue operations for as long as possible under altered work arrangements to give us the best chance of remaining afloat if there's any kind of long-term restrictions or shutdowns.

At the moment we're reasonably busy which is a minor positive.

Where do you live - your country, area, community? Northern Suburbs in Victoria

What restrictions are there? Not really sure, think council run things are closed (pools, halls - so no activities that are done in these halls are allowed, libraries)

Do you know of any confirmed cases? Nope

Is your employment or that of people you know affected? Not so far and wont be if no lockdown - can work from home if need be.

Messages from friends living OS: New Delhi is nearly deserted - get your head around that!

France in lock-down, enforced. Colleague worked all day at home, went out for a walk, police demanded ID and permission declaration form allowing him to be outside.

Will this happen here?

Messages from friends living OS: New Delhi is nearly deserted - get your head around that!

France in lock-down, enforced. Colleague worked all day at home, went out for a walk, police demanded ID and permission declaration form allowing him to be outside.

Will this happen here?

If I was a gambling man I'd put money on lockdowns occurring, to what level of severity will be based on how bad things get.

If people take it seriously early on we might head more in the Singapore direction than the Italy, if people can't self-moderate their own behaviour (Australian's are woeful at it) then likely we'll see police or military presence to enforce it.

I live in the county of New Taipei City.

The county boss has banned all people in my current industry from going overseas. I'm going to assume I am included. So best to stay here while I have a job and behave.

Rumours of a major project getting canned.

Face masks mandatory at work and on public transport. Must sanitize hands when entering the workplace. Must check body temperature upon checking in and checking out of work. Standard policy since the start of February.

The country has done an excellent job managing the epidemic but have had 20 cases new over the last three days, all from locals coming back from Europe or the Middle East. Now a travel ban is in place for the EU and if you come from one of 75 countries listed you must quarantine for 14 days. Failure to adhere to that results in a minimum $5000AUD.

I have spent most of my spare time hiking and exploring night and day markets and other attractions. I'm thinking of now limiting my time in the busier Greater Taipei area and heading to less populated areas to hike etc. I'm not a fan of excessive crowds. Ridiculous seeing 20,000 people trying to hike up a mountain.

While I'm not hysterical I am trying to adhere to a diligent regime of sanitizing my hands.

EDIT: At noon Taiwan has now gone the full NZ travel quarantine strategy.

Last edited:
Where do you live - your country, area, community?
Werribee - Vic

What restrictions are there?
Only those announced today, inside gatherings less than 100, outdoor less than 500

Do you know of any confirmed cases?
No
Is your employment or that of people you know affected?
Not mine personally. I'm a sole trader with a full time client who isn't effected by this at this stage. I am worried he might be and if he is I'll be in strife.

I'm in Perth and I'd call the effect on me personally minor at this point. Travel plans on hold, no NBA games on TV, social sport cancelled, do dunny roll at the local shops but at this stage I'm not sick and have no friends or family affected. I don't have kids (who don't seem to be affected anyway) and all my grandparents died years ago so the oldest friends and family I have are in their 70s and in good health for the age. I have sick and annual leave accrued and can work from home so I don't have that stress hanging over me either.

Personally I think we are going OTT with some things and not taking others seriously enough. International airports and seaports should be shut, end of. Good hygiene and social distancing is sensible, panic buying absolutely isn't. You don't need 900 rolls of toilet paper and queuing up at Woolies is introducing a new risk of peer to peer transmission that doesn't need to be there.

I'm in Hong Kong. The city went onto high alert maybe two months ago, around Lunar New Year. People were working from home for a couple of weeks, and then that got extended. Then when everyone came back to work a week or so ago, one of the interns tested positive for coronavirus and the whole office shut down. Quite a few people are in self-quarantine as a result.

I must say, in the initial stages, some of the measures in Hong Kong seemed like an over-reaction. I remember getting temperature scanned in restaurants and twice on the way into work and thinking it was over the top. The hoarding of masks and the panic buying of toilet paper are of course ridiculous but the early emphasis on social distancing and WFH now seems quite astute.

Part of that was the experience of Sars. Part of it was a distrust of the government, so businesses and individuals really went the extra mile.

Last edited:
Vancouver, Canada.

- As of the latest numbers released on March 18, 2020, there are a total of 231 cases of COVID-19 in B.C.
- Five people have recovered, seven people have died. A total of 13 others remain in hospital, with seven of those in intensive care.

Schools are closed until September most likely. Border line-ups are non-existent because it's closed. Restaurants, bars, playgrounds and a lot of office buildings closed. Public transport is near empty. People are taking it seriously and staying home where they can. Been a few idiots (mostly at Costco it seems) but people have been good. Lots of offers to help others out. Lots of businesses doing free delivery and things like Libraries and Rec Centres creating online videos for kids etc. Nobody is complaining about things like NHL being shut-down because there are bigger worries.

Supermarkets giving time for elderly to shop in the morning. Stock levels are fine but trucks are having a bit of trouble keeping up with in-store demand. Liquor stores are starting to get busy now. Prince Edward Island shut them down early in the week so people think it's coming here.

Government is throwing $81B at it. Mortgages have been deferred for 6 months.

My wife's office closed but she's able to work from home. She's juggling that with having the kids at home. My office is small and still running. It's involved in food/grocery sales and we've seen a 40% lift in the past week.

Where do you live - your country, area, community? Inner Brisbane suburb.

What restrictions are there? Pensioner hour at the local Coles and my Yoga studio has closed it's doors. :'(

Do you know of any confirmed cases? No.

Is your employment or that of people you know affected? I'm retired and not affecting any workers I know yet although I practiced social distancing before this s**t show all started so don't have a large circle of friends. Half a dozen people I know work in the Health sector, a couple of teachers and the rest are retired like me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guys some rascal banned me from the main beer virus thread, I'm scared that I may have caught the bloody thing. Can anyone confirm if this is a healthy temperature or not??

View attachment 843264
38.6 is without question a fever.

Erm I have a serious concern here, and all you intend on doing is trolling??
Well, he has a point, usually with those thermometers, I just put it under my armpit.

I live in the Northern Suburbs, the usual restrictions are here. I work at Woolies and right now it's bloody tough. We're desperately trying to stock the store back up, but it seems like a losing battle. Loads are 8 to 12 hours late and once on the shelves it doesn't last long. Things have started to slow down a bit, but I reckon it will take a fair while to get things back to some sense of normalitty where you can purchase what you want/need.

Live in the western suburbs of Perth

But decided to do it tough in the face of corona. Sitting by the pool in Byron Bay after a trip through the hinterland, enjoying negroni and a care free outlook.

Catching corona will be a fact of life for most of us over the next 3 years. So I’m relaxed, happy and accept this as part of a great life.

The foods I eat still readily available, my landlords problem getting toilet paper. Steam and sauna shut at the pool I use. Hardly anyone there is a positive is good chats with hot life gairds. It's awkward using public transport and being served at some shops with the social distancing thing. Coming across some idiots coughing to scare people. I have access to community hour, you get pensions for tin foil hats, and find it makes life harder for those who use it. Shelves empty anyway and store packers not really turning up until after 9 when thier kids are at school.

I should be walking across the bridge from the cbd to ao now, with a few joints and ticket to adelaide Oval. The virus doesn't bother me personally, there's dietary measures you can take and by all reports you become healthier and less siceptsble to future common colds, when you recover. However i understand the dangers to the sheep that make up our population. So I accept what's happening and the sacrifices we all make. The oldies built this country, did thier time, lived through some difficult eras. We need to look after them, respect our elders. I don't drink, take pharmaceuticals and consume very little sugar and gluten, so I should be OK.

Guys some rascal banned me from the main beer virus thread, I'm scared that I may have caught the bloody thing. Can anyone confirm if this is a healthy temperature or not??

View attachment 843264
Doesn’t seem right try it under your tongue instead.

Where do you live - your country, area, community? Cairns in the city area.

What restrictions are there? loo paper is hard to come by. And hand sanitiser is non existent. Still haven’t been able to get my vouchers for flights to Bali in 2 weeks or get my $800 back from the accomodation.

Do you know of any confirmed cases? 1 only that I’ve heard of on the news. A returned traveller.

Is your employment or that of people you know affected? Not yet but I have no work after 2 weeks we’ll see if I can quote a few jobs and keep going.

I'm in Hong Kong. The city went onto high alert maybe two months ago, around Lunar New Year. People were working from home for a couple of weeks, and then that got extended. Then when everyone came back to work a week or so ago, one of the interns tested positive for coronavirus and the whole office shut down. Quite a few people are in self-quarantine as a result.

I must say, in the initial stages, some of the measures in Hong Kong seemed like an over-reaction. I remember getting temperature scanned in restaurants and twice on the way into work and thinking it was over the top. The hoarding of masks and the panic buying of toilet paper are of course ridiculous but the early emphasis on social distancing and WFH now seems quite astute.

Part of that was the experience of Sars. Part of it was a distrust of the government, so businesses and individuals really went the extra mile.
HK was doing temperature scans in November. Not for this I presume, but maybe just now routine over there.

They weren't mandatory scans or anything, but I saw them in a couple of places including the ferry terminal coiming back from Macau. It seemed more of an "if you're not feeling well, get a scan" type of thing. I guess after SARS and others they are pretty much constantly set up for outbreaks.

There definitely was a mistrust of government at the time. I was there about 2-3 before the council elections, when Saturday night as protest night.

HK was doing temperature scans in November. Not for this I presume, but maybe just now routine over there.

They weren't mandatory scans or anything, but I saw them in a couple of places including the ferry terminal coiming back from Macau. It seemed more of an "if you're not feeling well, get a scan" type of thing. I guess after SARS and others they are pretty much constantly set up for outbreaks.

There definitely was a mistrust of government at the time. I was there about 2-3 before the council elections, when Saturday night as protest night.
Sometimes I ask them to do it the old-fashioned way.

I'm in Malaysia. Lockdown began on Wednesday, military enforcement of lockdown began today.

The cafes I usually do my remote work from all closed on Wednesday so now I have to work from home.

The condo I am staying in closed the pool and gym yesterday. Instead I am running up and down the stairs for some exercise.

Now that Australia is pulling the same lockdown stunt, I predict more people will start asking if this is really all about a flu from China.

It is easy to buy into the hysteria and demand to be locked down until you realise the consequences for yourself and those you care about.

Fun times ahead for Australia.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back