Analysis Where does Buddy Franklin rank amongst the greats?

Buddy's rank of all time players

• Total voters
Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Where does Buddy rank all time?

YearsClubGames (Goals)
2005–2013Hawthorn182 (580)
2014–Sydney136 (415)
Total318 (995)

Height199 cm (6 ft 6 in)
Weight107 kg (236 lb)

Last edited:

t0mmO

All Australian
Sep 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I reckon he can make a case for best forward of all time.

He won't be outright #1 for career goals, but he's closing in on 1000 in an era where even 700 career goals would see a player easily classed as among the best of their generation.

He is, statistically at least, a level above every single other forward of this era. That level of dominance over their peers deserves serious respect and a considered discussion about GOAT beyond the tiring "yeah but xxx forward kicked more than him 30 years ago".

His Hawthorn career is good enough for #5 all time goal kicking for the Hawks and #38 all time for the AFL/VFL, and his Sydney career is good enough for #7 all time goal kicking for the Swans and #99 all time for the AFL/VFL.

He's had two careers that are competitive against the very best of his peers in the AFL.

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
I reckon he can make a case for best forward of all time.

He won't be outright #1 for career goals, but he's closing in on 1000 in an era where even 700 career goals would see a player easily classed as among the best of their generation.

He is, statistically at least, a level above every single other forward of this era. That level of dominance over their peers deserves serious respect and a considered discussion about GOAT beyond the tiring "yeah but xxx forward kicked more than him 30 years ago".

His Hawthorn career is good enough for #5 all time goal kicking for the Hawks and #38 all time for the AFL/VFL, and his Sydney career is good enough for #7 all time goal kicking for the Swans and #99 all time for the AFL/VFL.

He's had two careers that are competitive against the very best of his peers in the AFL.
Is he in the same group as Ablett snr, Lockett and Carey, or just behind?
Kicking nearly 1000 goals in this era, like you say, would say he is.
He is probably the longest kicker in the game ever.
His amount of goals outside 50 must be high.
He was also agile at ground level.
Not known for high marking, more of a lead up player and loose ball getter with supreme strength and skill.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Is the top 3 Dunstall, Brereton and Hudson?

Hudson
Dunstall
Matthews

Matthews is our best player, best mid and 3rd best forward.

I would put Buddy ahead of Brereton.

Gladys Moncrieff vs Brereton is an interesting one. Gladys for pure goal kicking, Brereton for around the ground impact.

Hudson
Dunstall
Matthews

Matthews is our best player, best mid and 3rd best forward.

I would put Buddy ahead of Brereton.

I thought of Matthews but then he's pretty much regarded as a mid now so assumed it was Brereton. I was ready to say I'd put Buddy ahead of Brereton.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I thought of Matthews but then he's pretty much regarded as a mid now so assumed it was Brereton. I was ready to say I'd put Buddy ahead of Brereton.

Matthews kicked over 900 goals. Anyone who thinks of him as just a mid didnt see him play. He wasnt just rested in the forward pocket, he played full forward out of the goal square.

Matthews kicked over 900 goals. Anyone who thinks of him as just a mid didnt see him play. He wasnt just rested in the forward pocket, he played full forward out of the goal square.

I didn't. I know of him purely through reputation, highlights and stats. He was before my time.

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Eight goals on Brian Lake in a final, 7 of them great goals.

Sep 15, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Eight goals on Brian Lake in a final, 7 of them great goals.

A joy to watch.

He is all time, such a special player. I never thought he would see out his contract at Sydney, his longevity is incredible

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Turnover

Cancelled
May 30, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Lloyd was a fantastic player and he is underrated IMO. But he isn't up with Lockett, Ablett, Carey, Dunstall.
Understand, the question is how close and how many in between. Anyway can’t be bothered but good to reminisce. Most talented and brilliant to watch category I’d say ablett and Franklin on a par (Coleman and Hudson) from reports.

Back