Where does Hawkins rank

Remove this Banner Ad

Look at his stats. He has almost as many marks outside fifty as he does inside fifty and the number one goal assist player in the AFL 2019 H/A season. Surely you can do the maths from here

lol, I know for damn sure he is no CHF!
I don't need to look at any stats to get that.
He's a stay at home full forward in every sense of the word. If he had of continued playing as he did under Thompson, CHF/Ruck, you could make a case but he doesn't under Scott.
It is why certain defenders are matched up on him as they are full back's, and full back's only.

Great player he has been. But again, goes missing in finals frequently for such a dominant H&A player.

lol, I know for damn sure he is no CHF!
I don't need to look at any stats to get that.
He's a stay at home full forward in every sense of the word. If he had of continued playing as he did under Thompson, CHF/Ruck, you could make a case but he doesn't under Scott.
It is why certain defenders are matched up on him as they are full back's, and full back's only.

Great player he has been. But again, goes missing in finals frequently for such a dominant H&A player.

mate we are all cats fans so respect for everyone’s views but you have been shown unequivocally via concrete numerical evidence that he basically marks the ball as much outside 50 as he does inside 50.

compared to the ‘full forwards’ as we know them, he has HEAPS more ball up the field than any of them. In fact he gets more ball full stop than any of them. Which tells you he is covering more ground than any of them both inside and outside 50.

One of the great Cats for mine and I started following them in '64 when I was minus 10yo. In any other era and with a bit of luck he would have kicked over 1000 IMO

It may be a fair call to say he is underrated.

Traditionally, KPF is a bit of a glamour role. Hawk probably doedn't quite fit that mould, doesn't take the hangars, etc.

What makes him different, and perhaps underrated, is that he works really hard and is a team player. Sure the talent and skill is there, but he works bloody hard

Hawkins is the best key forward in the league

People are seriously underrating Pavlich... he was AA in three different positions (forward, mid, back).

Hawkins has been equal to J.Brown, Kennedy, Tredrea, and J.Riewoldt.

If you bring in his leadership and teamwork, Hawk has been more valuable than Fev.

My list by end-of-careers assuming Hawkins plays well for a couple more years:

Buddy
——————-
N.Riewoldt
Pavlich
——————-
Hawkins
Tredrea
Kennedy
J.Riewoldt
J.Brown
Fev
——————

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's no way he's had a career as good as Nick Riewoldt or Pavlich or Lloyd. And he's behind Buddy obviously. The other great 21st century KPFs (Hawkins, Brown, J. Riewoldt, Kennedy, Fevola) are harder to split.

I would go something like:

Franklin
Lloyd
Pavlich
N. Riewoldt
Kennedy
Hawkins
J. Riewoldt
Brown
Fevola

There's no way he's had a career as good as Nick Riewoldt or Pavlich or Lloyd. And he's behind Buddy obviously. The other great 21st century KPFs (Hawkins, Brown, J. Riewoldt, Kennedy, Fevola) are harder to split.

I would go something like:

Franklin
Lloyd
Pavlich
N. Riewoldt
Kennedy
Hawkins
J. Riewoldt
Brown
Fevola
Gotta chuck Richo and Treadrea in there.
Richo 2nd for me, Treadrea after Pav.
I know JRiewoldt is not the most likeable bloke but he's done way more and been way more than Hawkins in mostly a crap team.
He is a natural goal kicking full forward.
Kennedy is good but Fev was shitloads better

Last edited:
Have you got something to back this up, because it doesn't ring true to me. And I actually like Jack.
More goals, 3??? Colemans, probs 3 or 4??B+F's, more AA selections
That is more.
Been a good player, particularly before they got good.
Meant to say more consistent in the last post, not been way more.
You only like him cause he's from Tassie lol.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know JRiewoldt is not the most likeable bloke but he's done way more and been way more than Hawkins in mostly a crap team.

Fevola was a selfish player and lacked character. I mark him down for that. Goalkicking machine but too much of a soloist and not the personality type Carlton needed when they were at their nadir.

Not sure why I forgot Richo. And yeah he'd be up near the top no doubt. Somewhere in the Lloyd/Pav/Riewoldt group.

Treadrea I didn't rate as highly as some.

Hawkins and J. Riewoldt is a lineball call. I went with Tomahawk but I can understand why others may prefer Jack.

More goals, 3??? Colemans, probs 3 or 4??B+F's, more AA selections
That is more.
Been a good player, particularly before they got good.
Meant to say more consistent in the last post, not been way more.
You only like him cause he's from Tassie lol.
I know his family. They are good people.
He's passionate, and he learned a big lesson early on about not being selfish and playing for the team.
Looking at their stats, they're pretty close.
I'll go with my Geelong bias and say Tom has been more important to the team than Jack over their careers.
But not by much.

Fevola was a selfish player and lacked character. I mark him down for that. Goalkicking machine but too much of a soloist and not the personality type Carlton needed when they were at their nadir.

Not sure why I forgot Richo. And yeah he'd be up near the top no doubt. Somewhere in the Lloyd/Pav/Riewoldt group.

Treadrea I didn't rate as highly as some.

Hawkins and J. Riewoldt is a lineball call. I went with Tomahawk but I can understand why others may prefer Jack.
I said earlier I like Tommy more as a footy player more than nearly all those players. Even an all time great like Lloyd.
He's just my kind of dude.
But as achieving more than nearly all of them he just hasn't.
Also as I said earlier that injury in 2012 stuffed him up a lot.
But I also have to say the same for Fev. Just as skill as a forward and in such a terrible team too. He did very very well.
99 goals in a H&A season. He absolutely won games by himself.

I know his family. They are good people.
He's passionate, and he learned a big lesson early on about not being selfish and playing for the team.
Looking at their stats, they're pretty close.
I'll go with my Geelong bias and say Tom has been more important to the team than Jack over their careers.
But not by much.
Fair enough. Got to disagree on the last part though. Without Jack, Richmond would of been in terrible trouble for a while.

Tommy comes across as a good bloke who plays the game fairly and cops the good and the bad on the chin.

JR comes across as a petulant, narcissic sook who is benefiting from he and his teammates playing to a different rule book.

I'd rather try and build a team around a guy like Hawkins than JR.

Tommy comes across as a good bloke who plays the game fairly and cops the good and the bad on the chin.

JR comes across as a petulant, narcissic sook who is benefiting from he and his teammates playing to a different rule book.

I'd rather try and build a team around a guy like Hawkins than JR.

It's been the end of Jack's career which has catapulted his standing.
He was always a huge talent. Many remember his early days and he was the heir apparent to take over the role of Richo (almost unthinkable at that point of time). He was nurtured along as well.
But he has delivered in spades. Very consistent goal kicker.
Bit like Hawkins though when it has come to finals, not quite as dominant.

I love a good glass of wine and came across tHis review that strongly resembles that of the tommahawk

Minerally Austrian Grüner Veltliner gets even more savory as it ages, taking on toasty and creamy notes. Pichler’s basic Terrassen bottling, floral and peppery, is at the level of many other producers’ single-vineyard wines. It should develop for a decade easily.

He doesn't get the plaudits that Josh Kennedy does, nor Buddy, but Tom Hawkins has been one of the best and most consistent key forwards of the past decade.

Against the Saints, and an accomplished opponent in Jake Carlisle, he dominated a crunch match, kicking five goals straight in a performance which moves him equal with Kennedy in the race for the 2020 Coleman Medal.

But it's not just his goalkicking which is why the Tomahawk has been such a good servant to the Cats for such a long time. He also leads the league (comfortably) in goal assists in 2020 with 14 - four ahead of the next best player.

This isn't a new thing for the Tomahawk, though. In 2019, he was equal fourth for goal assists with 24 (behind a trio of Giants). He also hasn't kicked fewer than 50 goal in a season since 2015, while since his 100th game in 2012, he's gone goalless just 16 times. He's a star.

So hard to judge because the numbers for key forwards are now fundamentally so different to what they were.

Franklin and N Riewoldt are still the key standouts of the decade for mine. Hawkins, Roughie, Pav and Kennedy are on the next rung down.

A big power forward with all the smarts and skills to go with it. Gets good possessions too. One aspect of his game that rarely gets a mention is his ruck work in the forward 50. Bullies other rucks and either kicks goals or feeds off. Almost 600 goals and still has good speed in first 5-6 meters. Expect another 2 years..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back