Where does Hawkins rank

Remove this Banner Ad

A big power forward with all the smarts and skills to go with it. Gets good possessions too. One aspect of his game that rarely gets a mention is his ruck work in the forward 50. Bullies other rucks and either kicks goals or feeds off. Almost 600 goals and still has good speed in first 5-6 meters. Expect another 2 years..

good call on the F50 ruckwork, you can tell it makes opposing rucks and defences nervous.

Ranks pretty well. Would top all those listed players for score assists too.

117161428_3622838381068167_3423782626067148619_o.jpg

Ranks pretty well. Would top all those listed players for score assists too.

117161428_3622838381068167_3423782626067148619_o.jpg
GOAL ASSISTS SINCE 2012
1st. Tom Hawkins - 175 games - 164 Goal Assists
2nd. Jack Riewoldt - 172 games - 149 Goal Assists
3rd. Lance Franklin - 143 games - 124 Goal Assists
4th. Josh Kennedy - 150 games - 88 Goal Assists
5th. Jeremy Cam - 155 games - 83 Goal Assists

I don't want to talk out of turn but I have a feeling Richmond fans would not like to see those figures. I reckon they would all assume that Jack would be well ahead in all departments.

Hawkins will go down as Geelong's third best key forward behind Ablett and Wade. Although he has had a great career, I feel that his back injury in 2013 robbed him of his full potential. He never regain that enourmous, pack splitting leap and lost a fair chunk of his agility after the injury and has been constantly managing it since. He has adapt magnificently though and has improved his footy smarts, strength, fitness and skills to compensate. He is the the most unselfish key forward I've seen and those assist numbers back this up. When he does retire, he will go down as a Geelong legend, a AFL hall of fame player and will be sorely missed.

Personally I think he's a genuine Champion of the club.
Would comfortably be inside the team of the century at this point in time and for me is the second best "tall" forward I've seen at the Cats, behind only the Great Man.
Clearly better than Mooney, and that's taking nothing away from Cam because he was awesome, clearly better than any forward we've had since GAS and at worst a touch in front of any other tall forward I've seen during those almost years in the late 80s and into the 90s.
Simply he's a Champion and I'll look back at his career fondly, and perhaps lament that we never got to see his absolute best when the Cats were winning flags (imagine him now in the 07-09 team... wow) or the potential decade of partnership with Nathan Ablett we were all looking forward to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I think he's a genuine Champion of the club.
Would comfortably be inside the team of the century at this point in time and for me is the second best "tall" forward I've seen at the Cats, behind only the Great Man.
Clearly better than Mooney, and that's taking nothing away from Cam because he was awesome, clearly better than any forward we've had since GAS and at worst a touch in front of any other tall forward I've seen during those almost years in the late 80s and into the 90s.
Simply he's a Champion and I'll look back at his career fondly, and perhaps lament that we never got to see his absolute best when the Cats were winning flags (imagine him now in the 07-09 team... wow) or the potential decade of partnership with Nathan Ablett we were all looking forward to.

Brownless went alright and he was also a very good CHB.
A better mark than Hawkins as he was a classical pack marking forward. Nowhere near as good of a set shot as what Hawkins is but certainly much more agile around the ground.
Did better than Hawkins in September as well.
Probably have Hawkins just ahead of him at this stage as Brownless completely dropped away once he hit 30.

Read somewhere yesterday he leads all key forwards in ground ball gets as well, which means he's just as dangerous as when the ball is on the ground.

Do soccers off the ground count as ground ball gets in that stat? Because he's Archie Thompsoned more than a few goals lately.

Read somewhere yesterday he leads all key forwards in ground ball gets as well, which means he's just as dangerous as when the ball is on the ground.
Um no it doesnt mean that. Hawkins is one of the best key forwards when the ball is on the ground but that does not mean he is as dangerous when its on the ground compared to when its in the Air.

Brownless went alright and he was also a very good CHB.
A better mark than Hawkins as he was a classical pack marking forward. Nowhere near as good of a set shot as what Hawkins is but certainly much more agile around the ground.
Did better than Hawkins in September as well.
Probably have Hawkins just ahead of him at this stage as Brownless completely dropped away once he hit 30.
It really is quite hard to split them. Brownless career would of been better if ablett wasnt around and billy could of been the main forward. Hawkins career would of been better if he didnt do his back in 2013.

but in the end despite achieving much less I still take a fit stoneham ahead of both.

It really is quite hard to split them. Brownless career would of been better if ablett wasnt around and billy could of been the main forward. Hawkins career would of been better if he didnt do his back in 2013.

but in the end despite achieving much less I still take a fit stoneham ahead of both.

Stoneham was a champion in full flight.
Imagine if Stoneham played in today's era and never suffered the leg break and consequent leg infection which robbed him years off his career?
I can imagine he would be like a Jonathan Brown but more mobile.

A little off topic but didn’t know where to post.
Man it’s hard to find any merchandise of Tom Hawkins. All you find is Sel, Danger and GAJ
On the catsshop you can find stubby holders and all sorts of this on all of them and even HT and the best you can get with big Tommy is a pair of socks.
Been a favorite of mine for a long long time and need some Tommy lovin in my shed

Hawkins will go down as Geelong's third best key forward behind Ablett and Wade. Although he has had a great career, I feel that his back injury in 2013 robbed him of his full potential. He never regain that enourmous, pack splitting leap and lost a fair chunk of his agility after the injury and has been constantly managing it since. He has adapt magnificently though and has improved his footy smarts, strength, fitness and skills to compensate. He is the the most unselfish key forward I've seen and those assist numbers back this up. When he does retire, he will go down as a Geelong legend, a AFL hall of fame player and will be sorely missed.
Always hard to compare players from completely different eras, but Flanagan finished Top 6 in the Brownlow 4 times (including a 2nd placing), and in only one of those years did another KPF finish ahead of him - a bloke named Coleman.

Can some of the older guys enlighten me as to what made Stoneham so good? I’m old enough to have watched him but probably wasn’t old enough to appreciate good forward play beyond kicking goals.

Can some of the older guys enlighten me as to what made Stoneham so good? I’m old enough to have watched him but probably wasn’t old enough to appreciate good forward play beyond kicking goals.
If you can find a spare 2 hours, check this game out. I just watched it about a week ago. It’s the day senior kicked the ton for the first time. Finishing with 10.6, he could have broken Fred Fannings record that day. Missed some easy ones in front and Mick Martyn gave away about another 4 frees that weren’t paid.

It’s also Barry Stoneham at his very best. Pre leg injury. 25 touches & 5 goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back