Where does Mundy sit in the Pantheon of greats at Freo now?

Sully90

Premiership Player
Dec 24, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal
He was also being strongly courted by Gold Coast in their start up period. I remember his missus was dead against it, so we can thank her steadying influence on Dave too.
Yeah I remember that as well, though I don't think he ever seriously considered that one the same way he did the Essendon and Richmond offers. Just a gut feel.

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
I said it before in another similar thread someone started a while back, and I’ve said it here.

Pav is comfortably the best ever Docker. Fyfe has grown over recent years to be very high up (maybe 2nd/3rd) on this list. Both have held us together and given us a reason to be proud during really crap times.

Fyfe is the best player we’ve had, with Pav not far behind.

Mundy, the quiet achiever probably #3, but sadly I believe commentators/supporters outside of Freo really only sat up and started taking real notice after he passed 250 games.

Sandi was an excellent ruck - 4xAA and 2 x Doigs - but his height brought him the most fame, not his being the ‘face of the club’.

And anyone who says that McPharlin didn’t influence games enough to be considered right up in top 5 discussion must have a short memory. He was a sublime player.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
I said it before in another similar thread someone started a while back, and I’ve said it here.

Pav is comfortably the best ever Docker. Fyfe has grown over recent years to be very high up (maybe 2nd/3rd) on this list. Both have held us together and given us a reason to be proud during really crap times.

Mundy, the quiet achiever probably #3, but sadly I believe commentators/supporters outside of Freo really only sat up and started taking real notice after he passed 250 games.

Sandi was an excellent ruck - 4xAA and 2 x Doigs - but his height brought him the most fame, not his being the ‘face of the club’.

And anyone who says that McPharlin didn’t influence games enough to be considered right up in top 5 discussion must have a short memory. He was a sublime player.
Mcpharlin retired and we fell off the cliff.

Farrand

Premiership Player
Sep 20, 2003
England
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Side Hawkwing

Think people started to notice him in 2011 which for me was his breakout year. The only reason it didn't continue was some Essendon idiot helped break his leg. Once he was back and running the team was gelling, Lyon had taken over and players who had underperformed were becoming disciplined. Fyfe was also beginning his breakout and that was always going to overshadow everyone else. Plus we were all in love with a man named Barlow and his return from injury.

anchor man

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2001
Success WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dockers ∧South Fremantle

Totally agree re McPharlin.He influenced many games for us.He was a swing man to a certain extent.He won games for us after being sent forward.

Schauermann

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 27, 2011
Hamburg
AFL Club
Fremantle
Pavlich, Fyfe
----
Mundy, Sandilands, McPharlin
---
Walters, Bell, Johnson, Ballas
---
Parker, Kickett, Cook, Grover, Crowley, Barlow
---
Duffield, McManus, Haselby, Mayne, Hayden, Farmer, J.Carr, S.Hill

That's my top list. Each level can be argued RE: order. That's how I remember them (was only 5/6 in 1995 so my memory of the early days was shaky at best). I probably forgot a few but skimming over games played for us, that's how I'd see it. Heart and Pride in the jumper also helped me elevate guys like Kickett, Cook, Crowley, McManus; just pure guts
Pretty good assessment. I'd still have Pav as no. 1. Our first superstar. But Fyfe not far off and has beaten him awardwise.

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Mundy reminds me a bit of someone like Corey Enright.
Durable, consistent, high footy IQ, skilful and (potentially) a club games record holder. Like Enright he will never be considered the club’s greatest but if you were putting a best ever 22 together he’d be one of the first magnets on the board.

Schauermann

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 27, 2011
Hamburg
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's a very average draft overall but West Coast got alot more out of Waters than Melb/Freo ever got out of Sylvia.
Well, he was an Eagles. But I liked Waters. Had alot of injuries as well. Probably due to is playing style.

But Mundy and Shaw are spot on as top 2 for longevity and quality. Hard to go past Cooney's brownlow then. But he quickly became average later. Same for the draft after those.

mr.11

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
F.C Barcelona ,Redwings
Fyfe
Pavlich
Mundy

If Fyfe and Mundy win flags - I put Mundy first and Fyfe 2nd with Pav dropping to 3rd...but all greats none the less!

Back